Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins, halfway through 2017: your new fun stop for wild spasmodic gyrating and posting excitement!---M.E.T.

Tsailand

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yes, actually. A team that's close to winning, needs a QB, can fit him under the cap, could definitely make a deal for him. It would obviously be predicated on the being able to work out the parameters of an extension with him before finalizing the deal.

The 34.5 amount become part of the calculus. That, combined with the knowledge that the Redskins are getting close to losing him fro nothing, would really lower the trade price. We won't get a ton for him. But a trade could certainly happen under the Franchise tag. to it.

Man I hated calculus... limits and all. :ols:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21693343/resetting-kirk-cousins-looming-contract-stand-changed-washington-redskins-quarterback-more

Using the transition tag instead could make some sense for Washington. That would cost "only" about $28.8 million for 2018, but it would allow another team to offer Cousins a long-term contract. So Cousins would get to play the market, and if another team offered him the long-term deal he seeks, Washington would have the right to match that deal and keep him. This strategy makes sense if Washington has decided it's willing to pay Cousins top-of-the-market long-term money but wants to let the market set the price. Basically, they'd be saying, "You think you're worth $30 million-plus on the open market? Go prove it, and if you're right, we'll match it." The risk is that, if a team makes an offer Washington can't or doesn't want to match, the team is not entitled to any draft pick compensation and would lose Cousins for nothing.

I'll give them this, it wouldn't be the first time with Bruce that they've done this. It was a staple of the Shanny/Bruce offseasons. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Graziano gives another go at the topic.   I disagree with him on the 30 million a year drill.  He's been on that since the summer.  I think you get Kirk for less if you make up ground on guarantees.

I don't why this $30M keeps popping up with just about every sports writer. I mean it's just so TOTALLY ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that no NFL team will be offering that amount. Kirk is a good QB, but let's not overrate him with this ridiculous $30M a year offer.  

7 hours ago, TK said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21693343/resetting-kirk-cousins-looming-contract-stand-changed-washington-redskins-quarterback-more

I'll give them this, it wouldn't be the first time with Bruce that they've done this. It was a staple of the Shanny/Bruce offseasons. 

They missed one possible outcome. Kirk simply plays on the tag forcing the team to either transition tag him again next year at an even higher rate or just let him go in free agency. This is where the "Does Kirk want to be here" part comes into play. 

I am not a big proponent of Kirk just wants out, at least not right now. I believe if they would make an honest offer - not this 80% or less of market value garbage, he would sign. I also agree - and have been saying the same for some time - forget the per/yr. That will be driven by the guaranteed money and total years. It is what it is. As I and others have said or a while - it will take something close to $100M guaranteed - likely something in the area of $70M fully guaranteed at signing with another $30M in injury guarantees. Any reasonable offer like that would make any dislike of Bruce not be as important. It's clear he really likes Jay and his teammates. Once he is paid he can ignore bruce. 

But if the team (BA) gives him yet another bull**** offer and refuses to move relying on the tag, he will have to believe he is not really wanted here and would make choices to get out. I know I would. 

9 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I don't why this $30M keeps popping up with just about every sports writer. I mean it's just so TOTALLY ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that no NFL team will be offering that amount. Kirk is a good QB, but let's not overrate him with this ridiculous $30M a year offer.  

The 30 million drill seems to be the narrative with some of the national reporters especially Schefter.  But I get the impression with some of the locals that if Kirk gets a good chunk of it fully guaranteed, the average year salary still needs to be high but not insanely high.  For me I am sticking with 27 million a year and 100 million guaranteed.  My gut is that gets it done. Does it happen here?  Who knows.  If you go smaller guaranteed money, then the average year salary might hit the 30 million range.  Will see.

On topic, Dan Graziano comes on Sheehan's show this morning.  Sheehan asked him about their ability to do tags beyond this year and fishes whether the Redskins FO might be his source on this.  Graziano gets upset and hangs up on Sheehan.  On a segment about a week ago, Sheehan reveals on air that Cooley has a suspicion that some macro change might come in the off season.  Cooley gets irritated with Sheehan for bringing it up and won't reveal what he's thinking.  Then you got Sheehan today off handily in a segment talking about how the next games might be important and says something to the effect of there could be a change based on something brewing the last two years.  Real cryptic stuff.  I only take it a little seriously because they were the same crew giving cryptic stuff like this last year before the Scot thing unfolded.  

I feel like Dan Steinberg regurgitating stuff others say.  :)  But just case anyone is interested I figure why not.   You got me what's going to take place this January but it has the vibe that it could be Twilight Zone level stuff could be coming even by this franchise's standards.  Hopefully not, though. 

On 12/8/2017 at 10:13 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan Graziano comes on Sheehan's show this morning.  Sheehan asked him about their ability to do tags beyond this year and fishes whether the Redskins FO might be his source on this.  Graziano gets upset and hangs up on Sheehan.

Whoops, my bad

13 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

It wasn't Graziano it was Dan Hellie and it was pretty funny when it happened.

I still don't understand why the guy got so flustered, its bad enough with the fans frustration but now reporters are getting upset and taking things personally when it comes to Kirk.

Nope.   It was indeed Graziano.  

Hellie came on after at 10 am and just did a full segment.  Hellie didn't hang up.  Hellie comes off as the most easy going/nice guy in reporting -- picture that dude hanging up in a haste?  I'd talk about Hellie's segment but he didn't seem to have any inside info.  Same old same old from him -- They need to keep Kirk, he doesn't know if Kirk wants to her here, etc.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nope.   It was indeed Graziano.  

Hellie came on after at 10 am and just did a full segment.  Hellie didn't hang up.  Hellie comes off as the most easy going/nice guy in reporting -- picture that dude hanging up in a haste?  I'd talk about Hellie's segment but he didn't seem to have any inside info.  Same old same old from him -- They need to keep Kirk, he doesn't know if Kirk wants to her here, etc.

Senior moment I guess, I was actually in the car driving to the office and was listening to the show when it happened.  They kept talking about Hellie after it happened so I thought he was the one that hung up.

49 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Senior moment I guess, I was actually in the car driving to the office and was listening to the show when it happened.  They kept talking about Hellie after it happened so I thought he was the one that hung up.

Yeah the joke was will Hellie hang up on it next.  But I get how it could get confusing.

For those that want to listen, here's Dan Patrick attempting Damage Control for his comments about "Kurt" Cousins from the other day...   He also goes on and calls Grant Paulsen "Greg".. lol.  Anyway, he does confirm that he just heard what he reported [about the WRs dislike of Kirk] was from someone outside the organization but doesn't name names.

1 hour ago, Paul Cumberland said:

For those that want to listen, here's Dan Patrick attempting Damage Control for his comments about "Kurt" Cousins from the other day...   He also goes on and calls Grant Paulsen "Greg".. lol.  Anyway, he does confirm that he just heard what he reported [about the WRs dislike of Kirk] was from someone outside the organization but doesn't name names.

Here is Grant's response to that earlier today on the radio (listen to the 1st hour and then in the 4th hour as well  - response to the video above). 

http://washington.cbslocal.com/audio/grant-and-danny/

It would seem that the author at 247 sports, Kyle Tasman, really fanned the flames here. Haha. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Dan-Patrick-hammers-Kurt-Cousins-on-radio-show-111844302

*(update)* The headline (of the "article") was changed on this story between the time I first clicked on it, at 2pm, and now at 3:45pm.*

The URL still says "hammers," a specific word DP took umbrage with. 

Let's get all parties here on ES and hash it out. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The 30 million drill seems to be the narrative with some of the national reporters especially Schefter.  But I get the impression with some of the locals that if Kirk gets a good chunk of it fully guaranteed, the average year salary still needs to be high but not insanely high.  For me I am sticking with 27 million a year and 100 million guaranteed.  My gut is that gets it done. Does it happen here?  Who knows.  If you go smaller guaranteed money, then the average year salary might hit the 30 million range.  Will see.

On topic, Dan Graziano comes on Sheehan's show this morning.  Sheehan asked him about their ability to do tags beyond this year and fishes whether the Redskins FO might be his source on this.  Graziano gets upset and hangs up on Sheehan.  On a segment about a week ago, Sheehan reveals on air that Cooley has a suspicion that some macro change might come in the off season.  Cooley gets irritated with Sheehan for bringing it up and won't reveal what he's thinking.  Then you got Sheehan today off handily in a segment talking about how the next games might be important and says something to the effect of there could be a change based on something brewing the last two years.  Real cryptic stuff.  I only take it a little seriously because they were the same crew giving cryptic stuff like this last year before the Scot thing unfolded.  

I feel like Dan Steinberg regurgitating stuff others say.  :)  But just case anyone is interested I figure why not.   You got me what's going to take place this January but it has the vibe that it could be Twilight Zone level stuff could be coming even by this franchise's standards.  Hopefully not, though. 

Ok so trying to decrypt the cryptic stuff you said about cryptic stuff about to happening next offseason for something that is way, way, way, old...

simpsons_panic1.gif

DP's orignial audio statement:

"You-know I did a little research about the whole 'Kurt' Cousins situation ... 'aaand' what Marshal Faulk and Steve Smith Sr. were saying about Kurt Cousin ...

Kurt Cousins is not well liked by his Wide Receivers. Not at all. 

So the (uh) behind the scenes intel is, (uh) they're not big Kurt Cousins fans. I don't know what that means for Kurt Cousins staying in Washington."

DP's revised statement:

"Somebody at the game, said to me, who's not affiliated with the Redskins [...] Kirk Cousins, from what I was told, some of the receivers (uh) have a problem with him because he he throws them into [pause] you know, positions where they can get hurt."

Yeah, so Terrelle Pryor. Could Reed be another? Whichever, injured, under-performing misfit.

Speculated from that podcast, it was an Agent who either represents Pryor or perhaps D. Jackson who wanted to throw shade on Cousins. 

Nonetheless, the original audio from DP was kind-of reckless. The whole bit about "research," like this was more than an off-hand conversation with some dude for 10 seconds, but, you know, cross-referenced, was disingenuous. 

Then the monolithic statement of "not well liked" and "not at all," both leave things unequivocally bleak in terms of the relationship. Not much wiggle room there for interpretation. DP then backtracks that bold statement today.

But there also was the ambiguity of the word "they're" that he later uses in that original statement, which makes one question: who is they? 

They, the WRs, as a whole unit, multiple people? Or just one disgruntled underperformer? 

Or They as in the Organization?

Because for DP to further speculate that this apparent dislike from the WRs would impact Cousins' future in Washington, leads to ambiguity upon the word "they're." It implies the team or Org are "not big Kurt Cousins fans." 

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

DP's orignial audio statement:

"You-know I did a little research about the whole 'Kurt' Cousins situation ... 'aaand' what Marshal Faulk and Steve Smith Sr. were saying about Kurt Cousin ...

Kurt Cousins is not well liked by his Wide Receivers. Not at all. 

So the (uh) behind the scences intel is, (uh) they're not big Kurt Cousins fans. I don't know what that means for Kurt Cousins staying in Washington."

DP's revised statement:

"Somebody at the game, said to me, who's not affiliated with the Redskins [...] Kirk Cousins, from what I was told, some of the receivers (uh) have a problem with him because he he throws them into [pause] you know, positions where they can get hurt."

This whole thing has reached new levels of crazy and that's not to even mention that Kirk rarely throws his guys into a big hit

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

positions where they can get hurt."

I would strongly suggest those that thinks like this to:

A - Ride the bench

B - Take the Su'a Cravens way of thinking.

Wherever you are on the field you're in position where you can get hurt...

Don't play football if you don't want to get hurt. Play curling.

20 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

if the redskins brass really did release this message, i am ready to be done with this franchise. 

The "Redskins WRs hate Kurt" story absolutely reeks of Bruce Allen.

Unfortunately, it's also the kind of Redskins-y thing that can happen without any involvement from the front office.  Because we're a team that has been dysfunctional for 25 years.

17 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I can see a team offering him $150M over five years.  Maybe with "only" $80M guaranteed at signing. 

I could also see a seven year $200M deal with $100M guaranteed.

But hey, don't just listen to me, look at some NFL history. What kinda of contract did they give the last top ten QB with no injury history who hit free agency before his 30th birthday?  OH WAIT THAT'S NEVER ****ING HAPPENED BEFORE.

Archived