Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Seahawks Post Game Assessments

Burgold

Don't let it be forgotten that Seattle's O-line is not that good.  Our Front 4 took advantage.  I am perhaps more impressed with our secondary.  Even when Wilson had time to look for a play, what did he really do? Nothing. Outside of a couple throw to Baldwin (thanks for my fantasy points buddy!) Wilson didn't complete much at all downfield.

The secondary locked things down for the most part. Allowing the pass rush extra time to get home.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Don't let it be forgotten that Seattle's O-line is not that good.  Our Front 4 took advantage.  I am perhaps more impressed with our secondary.  Even when Wilson had time to look for a play, what did he really do? Nothing. Outside of a couple throw to Baldwin (thanks for my fantasy points buddy!) Wilson didn't complete much at all downfield.

The secondary locked things down for the most part. Allowing the pass rush extra time to get home.

I've been trying to tell anyone who listen all season that we have the best corners in football and it isn't even close. Our #1 guy is a star, our #2 is a pro bowl caliber player, our slot corner is a monster, and our #4 is probably closer to a 2 or 3 for most teams. Safeties aren't as good but WAY WAY better than last year. 

32 minutes ago, kleese said:

I've been trying to tell anyone who listen all season that we have the best corners in football and it isn't even close. Our #1 guy is a star, our #2 is a pro bowl caliber player, our slot corner is a monster, and our #4 is probably closer to a 2 or 3 for most teams. Safeties aren't as good but WAY WAY better than last year. 

Agreed. What it is I think is we are seeing the beginnings of having a complete defense, where fans don't even know who to give the credit to because they are performing so well. The defense isn't there yet, and against some of the better offenses they may still slip up, but all things considered, as banged up as the pass rush is, this defense is getting the job done. 

9 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Really impressed with Manusky's defense. He has those guys READY. That unit is well-coached, and those guys fly to the ball. I love the way they're playing.

I think much of that has to do with norman being back and healthy. The guy is a gamechanger. Zach Brown, man that guy is so good. Criminally underrated imo. Next level speed, sure tackler, the guy is a beast. Throw money his way please.

27 minutes ago, skins_biz93 said:

DEFENSE:

I honestly do not understand how our front 7 got so much pressure with both Jonathan Allen and Matt Ioannidis out. You could say it's because of Seattle's Offensive line struggles, and I'd give you that if it was just a few pressures, but we were on their ass the whole game. That goes to coaching. Jim Tomsula deserves all the credit in the world, and Manusky called a great game.

Will Compton held his own. I was impressed by his performance. There are more athletic ILBs out there and on our team, but he is a very valuable backup and locker room presnce. I want him on our team for many years to come. The depth and leadership he adds is invaluable.

Zach Brown was a stud. Throw money at him please.

DeAngelo Hall saving us from that last ditch Hail Mary was so impressive. At his age doing the things he does is just so much fun to witness. Him and Vernon Davis both are wonders for as long as they've been in the league.

The defense as a whole played lights out, especially against and offense that put up 460 yards the game prior. So much fun to watch this group. It's a shame they had to be on field for so much of the game, often in bad field positions.

OFFENSE:

Injuries plague us so much. The O-line did what they could with what they had. Wasn't horrible for what was there, wasn't great. They gave Kirk time to throw on some plays and not much time on others. Not much you can say there. It was OK for who was playing.

Our run game was pretty bad. We haven't drafted a RB in the first few rounds since..Alfred Morris? We don't invest in our run game so why would we expect it to be good? It is what it is, especially given our O-Line's status. It was mediocre at best, but at least Fat Rob is doing what he can. You can tell he tries hard, and hey..he got us two Touchdowns despite the circumstances they were gained.

Kirk won the game. You can't take that away from him. He made the final drive that got us the score that won it. He's our QB for the time being and I support and love him, even if I get frustrated at times. That being said, while he had a great final drive and did the only thing that matters, winning, it wasn't a great game for him. Two drives in the good to great category, a bunch in the bad to awful category. That has to change. By play calling, by trusting recievers, by not taking sacks when he has time to throw it away or dump it off, it has to change. You can't expect for our offense to disappear for 3+ quarters and have our defense just hold the entire time every game. It won't happen. My fear is they go 'man well we won the game so hey, we don't have to change much!' Which is nearly the worst thing that can come out of this. That was overall a bad performance by the offense. They need to fix things and fix them fast.

I'm so hopeful though. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. we are on the uptrend. Doctson will get more chances, Kirk will (hopefully) start opening it up more, PRYOR MADE A CATCH!.. Allen and Ioannidis can come back and bolster this already stud defense. Keep your heads up, the season is not over.

In his postgame comments it was pretty clear that Gruden agreed with you that this was not a good performance at all by the offense. He mainly praised the defense and said they're the reason we were in this game and that has happened a lot the last weeks. 

Also, I don't trust Perine AT ALL with the ball. He might be worse than Matt Jones at holding on to the ball.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Having BOTH Starting Corners in our lineup makes all the difference!

--------------------------------------------

What a Program defining Win!  Going to Seattle, banged up & vulnerable and WINNING is huge!  

-We have a deeper team than they do (actually, we're deeper than most NFL Teams)

-It's a significant lift getting the Win after the near miss in KC. Now The Team knows they can beat anybody

-Kirk came through when we needed it most. That's what Winning teams do.

-That head-to-head Victory may pay big dividends down the road too

But 3 things I wanna point out

1) It may be time to acknowledge that we're a Defensive Team this season.  That unit is our strength.

2) Josh Doctson gets MAJOR PROPS!!  He paid us back for KC, because that catch Won us the ballgame!

3) Interestingly enough, all of our Wins this year are against West Coast teams.  Isn't that strange?

Ridiculous game by the D regardless of the yards given up, it just shows you yards don't always tell the story.

Kirk had a tough time but he didn't give up the killer turnover and he made some HUGE plays when the game was on the line, he's good when the game is on the line, you have to give him that even if you are pessimistic towards him.

4 minutes ago, kleese said:

I'll go one better: the superior Pass Defense in this matchup was The Team wearing Burgundy & Gold.  

The reason we kept their Offense bottled up is because nobody could get open!

I'll give the defense an A-.  I'm not going to go crazy with high praise and say it was A++++++ but it was good.  

Let's be real here:  Seattle killed themselves with penalties and missed field goals.  Wilson still threw for 297 yards and we gave up a big pass for a TD to Doug Baldwin in the closing minutes, which is something that shouldn't have happened.  Yes, we also forced two turnovers off Wilson but when he needed to, he stepped up and absolutely delivered.  He killed us in the 4th quarter with a perfect passing rating.  He also carried 10 times for 77 yards, so 7.7 a carry.  

16 penalties for Seattle for 138 yards.  Three missed field goals.  That's the story of the game right there.

Now I'm not crying about it, the defense played superb for most of the time but right when you thought they were going to blow it, they did.  It's amazing that they held the Seahawks as long as they did as well as they did.  

I'll give the offense a B+.  Struggled at times, our run game is uninspiring.  But Cousins stepped up and answered the bell, so did the backups on the line which would probably explain the lackluster running attack but the running attack has been dull all year.  I don't see much of a change from when are starters are in compared to the guys we've pulled out of the parking lot.  Seattle's defense is still stout and Cousins made two awesome throws right at the end when it counted.

Overall, this is a game I feel that we probably should have lost but we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot like we normally do.  Seattle blew it and we didn't make any mistakes to lose it for ourselves.  In a way, I feel like this evens out the Chiefs game, a game we should have won but Doctson couldn't haul it in.  However, he stepped up and made a great play today to get us within inches of the end zone.  

Zac Brown Should be locked up before this season ends. What a great game by the defense, coaches and players. Offense was outmatched but stepped up in the end and KC made the throws.

We should resign Brown, Breeland now. KC deal needs to get done IMO, lets finish the prom with the girl we took there

We'll be fine without Pryor (obviously). Hyde, J.Hill and McKinnon all FA RB's next year I would entertain interest in. 

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll give the defense an A-.  I'm not going to go crazy with high praise and say it was A++++++ but it was good.  

Let's be real here:  Seattle killed themselves with penalties and missed field goals.  Wilson still threw for 297 yards and we gave up a big pass for a TD to Doug Baldwin in the closing minutes, which is something that shouldn't have happened.  Yes, we also forced two turnovers off Wilson but when he needed to, he stepped up and absolutely delivered.  He killed us in the 4th quarter with a perfect passing rating.  He also carried 10 times for 77 yards, so 7.7 a carry.  

16 penalties for Seattle for 138 yards.  Three missed field goals.  That's the story of the game right there.

Now I'm not crying about it, the defense played superb for most of the time but right when you thought they were going to blow it, they did.  It's amazing that they held the Seahawks as long as they did as well as they did.  

I'll give the offense a B+.  Struggled at times, our run game is uninspiring.  But Cousins stepped up and answered the bell, so did the backups on the line which would probably explain the lackluster running attack but the running attack has been dull all year.  I don't see much of a change from when are starters are in compared to the guys we've pulled out of the parking lot.  Seattle's defense is still stout and Cousins made two awesome throws right at the end when it counted.

Overall, this is a game I feel that we probably should have lost but we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot like we normally do.  Seattle blew it and we didn't make any mistakes to lose it for ourselves.  In a way, I feel like this evens out the Chiefs game, a game we should have won but Doctson couldn't haul it in.  However, he stepped up and made a great play today to get us within inches of the end zone.  

That's a strong point.

However, I would posit that Washington wanted the game more (and played that way).  That was how I viewed it.

And it is important to point out that The Washington Redskins Beat (again, in my view) the best young Quarterback in the game - Russell Wilson.  

AND we know how tough it is to Win in Seattle.  They compete too, and they weren't going to lie down and lose.  I fully expected the contest to tighten, but The Redskins went up there and BEAT them.  That is what happened.

All of the factors you point out did give our team a lift, but they went up there and did the hard work.  And they get props for that.

34 minutes ago, skins_biz93 said:

Our run game was pretty bad. We haven't drafted a RB in the first few rounds since..Alfred Morris? We don't invest in our run game so why would we expect it to be good? It is what it is, especially given our O-Line's status. It was mediocre at best, but at least Fat Rob is doing what he can. You can tell he tries hard, and hey..he got us two Touchdowns despite the circumstances they were gained.

We haven't drafted a running back in the first few rounds since Betts. Morris was picked in the bottom of the draft. We've never really picked too many RBs high and the only time we used a 1 we took Ray McDonald.  The most of the high picks at RB since the SB that played significant time were picked up by us via trades or FA.

4 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

That's a strong point.

However, I would posit that Washington wanted the game more (and played that way).  That was how I viewed it.

And it is important to point out that The Washington Redskins Beat (again, in my view) the best young Quarterback in the game - Russell Wilson.  

AND we know how tough it is to Win in Seattle.  They compete too, and they weren't going to lie down and lose.  I fully expected the contest to tighten, but The Redskins went up there and BEAT them.  That is what happened.

All of the factors you point out did give our team a lift, but they went up there and did the hard work.  And they get props for that.

All good points.  I don't disagree with any of that.

The Skins were in control for most of the game, for sure.

The D is legit very good. If not for injuries, would probably be a top 5 dominant unit and one that could carry us into the playoffs. The only real bad game they've had was the 2nd Eagles game and that was mostly just Carson Wentz playing like God(he's destroying everyone, what are you gonna do).

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

All good points.  I don't disagree with any of that.

The Skins were in control for most of the game, for sure.

And I appreciate you dispassionately putting the circumstances into perspective.

I didn't necessarily disagree with your post either, my friend.  I'm just glad we Won!

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The D is legit very good. If not for injuries, would probably be a top 5 dominant unit and one that could carry us into the playoffs. The only real bad game they've had was the 2nd Eagles game and that was mostly just Carson Wentz playing like God(he's destroying everyone, what are you gonna do).

Wentz beat us.  He did.

But he also benefited from throwing at the bottom of our depth chart.  The Skins Defense is far more formidable with 24 and 26 on the edges.

Russell Wilson just found that out!

Archived