Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

No one knew.

That’s the party line in Hollywood regarding Harvey Weinstein, the once-powerful producer revealed as a decades-long sexual predator.

Monday morning — five days after the New York Times exposé and hours after Weinstein was fired from his company — Meryl Streep, Hollywood’s grande dame, issued a statement.

“Not everybody knew,” Streep said in part. “I didn’t know.” She called Weinstein’s alleged behavior “disgraceful” and “appalling.”

“And if everybody knew,” she continued, “I don’t believe that all the investigative reporters in the entertainment and the hard news media would have neglected for decades to write about it.”

That last claim isn’t just unfair; it’s incorrect. In the wake of Thursday’s exposé, multiple high-profile journalists reported their own attempts over decades to break the story. On The Cut, Rebecca Traister wrote that in 2000, while covering a pre-election party Weinstein was throwing, Weinstein called her a “c–t” in response to a question he didn’t like, then threw another reporter down a flight of stairs and dragged him outside in a headlock. Such was Weinstein’s power, Traister wrote, that no other reporters covered the incident and no photos ever appeared.

Veteran Hollywood reporter Kim Masters wrote that she had a confrontation with Weinstein over this very issue 20 years ago. Sharon Waxman wrote that she tried to break the story in 2004, but after pressure from Weinstein and calls from defenders Russell Crowe and Matt Damon, the Times softened and buried it.

Professional good-guy Damon serving as Harvey Weinstein’s character witness only adds to the sordidness. Damon has four daughters. Where is he now?

http://nypost.com/2017/10/09/no-one-knew-about-harvey-weinstein-give-me-a-break/

This is the article about Weinstein calling a reporter a C-word and then throwing her boyfriend down stairs.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/why-the-weinstein-sexual-harassment-allegations-came-out-now.html

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

"No one knew" is bull****.  You can't have a situation where the media was intimidated and bribed to cover up scandals and claim no one knew.  You can't have admissions from staff that they all knew and claim that no one knew.  You can't have women discussing how they warned other women about him and claim no one knew.  You can't pay out 8 settlements to victims and claim no one knew.  

People knew.

And they know about other powerful men doing this, but they'll keep quiet.  They'll do it because speaking out might damage their careers and/or keeping quiet might help their careers.  That's how this game works. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

why are you pretending to care about sexism?

This is why I am laughing at some people making this about politics. It has nothing to do with this story, yet a few of you cannot help yourselves to take shots at your most hated political figures.

So you know me so well... I have two daughters and if some creep did his to them, he would be missing teeth.  NO one should have to endure this in any form. Not from a boss, coworker or a politician... anyone, even the current pres.

its political because he gave millions to POLITICIANS who kept their mouths shut and their wallets open. 

And hollywood people who scream about creeps like, O’Reilly, trump ( if he did this too) etc.. but kept quiet while this dude grabbed every woman in sight.

THe only people is see in this debacle that don’t care about sexism is Weinstein and Hillary Clinton... because ya, all those women lied about her husband.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Think about how secure in your power you'd have to be to sexually assault Terry Crews in front of his wife.  

Like i said, there are more and people are aware... but will not name names.  I'd bet the fashion industry is worse too.  

Not an attempt at a deflection, but on the topic of people and power, I recall a comic asking just how powerful does somebody have to be, where you can shoot a guy on the face, and he publicly apologizes to you?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Cause people been clamoring why haven't comedy shows gone at this guy.

What's your opinion on how to stop using position to sexually prey on others? I mean your reason for caring about this story can't be all political, right?

I am not that smart... some would say not smart at all. It would be nice if everyone just respected and treated one another like human beings but thats way too much to expect.

money talks, though... sue the pants off them,... sounds like Weinstein had a head start in that anyway.

As for politics, I would say be very careful who you take millions in political donations from.. and be prepared to own up to the mistakes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USS Redskins said:

As for politics, I would say be very careful who you take millions in political donations from.. and be prepared to own up to the mistakes.

OT, but on the topic of money and politics?  

If I ever run for office, my policy on donations is going to be "I'll take money from anybody". And I will happily say so. 

Their money isn't going to get me to change my positions. If they think otherwise, then they're suckers, and I'll take their money, anyway. 

But if the KKK or NAMBLA or twa wants to send me a check?  It's going to my bank, without me even reading who it's from. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Larry said:

OT, but on the topic of money and politics?  

If I ever run for office, my policy on donations is going to be "I'll take money from anybody". And I will happily say so. 

Their money isn't going to get me to change my positions. If they think otherwise, then they're suckers, and I'll take their money, anyway. 

But if the KKK or NAMBLA or twa wants to send me a check?  It's going to my bank, without me even reading who it's from. 

Ehh, low blow for ol twa there.