Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

On 2/1/2018 at 3:23 PM, Llevron said:

At this point the only answer is to arm myself. And I hate that. But jack **** else will be done and I cant wait around forever. 

It's your right. Exercise your right.  

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

You’re more likely to be shot with it than ever use it against an assailant, and even then 

You're also more likely to go to hell than heaven if you believe in that kind of stuff. 

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

You’re more likely to be shot with it than ever use it against an assailant, and even then 

Those stats exist and speak to a truth, but not one of owning guns. It is far more about lazy dumbasses owning guns. They don't shoot regularly w/ supervision to learn proper use AND proper mindset of use. They don't store and secure their arms, they don't clean and maintain them, nothin', they buy a gun, stick it in a nightstand drawer and go get a woody watching Dirty Harry.

Edited by LD0506
Stray comma removal

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Those stats exist and speak to a truth, but not one of owning guns. It is far more about lazy dumbasses owning guns. They don't shoot regularly w/ supervision to learn proper use AND proper mindset of use. They don't store and secure their arms, they don't clean and maintain them, nothin', they buy a gun, stick it in a nightstand drawer and go get a woody watching Dirty Harry.

So basically what the average American is going to do with their gun.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

So basically what the average American is going to do with their gun.

Exactly

For example, I traveled extensively in my dissolute youth, and spent some time in Wyoming. They are better armed than the Chinese army, five yr olds are taught to shoot, moms shoot skeet, grandmas are sniper-class crack shots but you know what they don't seem to have much of? These idiotic, pathological incidents of gun crime and schizoid massacres fantasies. There exists responsible, reasonable, rational gun owner culture that never seems to be brought into the larger conversation because it doesn't serve the agenda of either side that either wants to make neutron bombs available at the 7-11 or ban anything more intimidating than a spork.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

You're far more likely to use the gun on yourself on purpose; not accidentally. 

*WY has the 3rd highest suicide rate for example:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/suicide-mortality/suicide.htm

From time to time, we all get sad...

- Jim Jeffries

Edited by Mooka

7 minutes ago, Mooka said:

You're far more likely to use the gun on yourself on purpose; not accidentally. 

*WY has the 3rd highest suicide rate for example:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/suicide-mortality/suicide.htm

From time to time, we all get sad...

- Jim Jeffries

Yup, you're right, I'm of Finn heritage so I know all about suicide rates, trust me.

But I still don't see that as expressly a gun issue. Having a gun handy might make it easier, but the things that make you look at a gun and think "Hmmmmm..........." aren't being assembled by S&W. We have a lot of societal issues with depression, stress, alienation and disaffection, hell, just plain loneliness. We have disassembled a lot of those old-fashioned patches that helped get people through long, dark winter months or long, dark days of sadness.

I have no suggestions how to even begin addressing those things, I try to cobble together patches every day to get myself through but I do acknowledge and understand how difficult it can be for some people. I sympathize, I empathize, but in itself that doesn't really accomplish much. Take away all the guns and don't fix anything else and people will still off themselves when they reach the end of their rope. You'll just be seeing more Swiffer related fatalities or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

Let's be real here, though. No matter how often you go to the range it won't prepare you for anything like a real situation with an active shooter. There are physiological and psychological responses that are built in and the only way to control them is through dogged, constant, real world practice. Realistically the only people who do that sort of constant practice for those situations are special ops. They drill it over and over in real situations for the express purpose of being able to handle the panic, the adrenaline, the tunnel vision, the confusion. Regular people aren't going to be able to do that, cops aren't going to be able to...no matter whether they go to the range every other day or not.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Let's be real here, though. No matter how often you go to the range it won't prepare you for anything like a real situation with an active shooter. There are physiological and psychological responses that are built in and the only way to control them is through dogged, constant, real world practice. Realistically the only people who do that sort of constant practice for those situations are special ops. They drill it over and over in real situations for the express purpose of being able to handle the panic, the adrenaline, the tunnel vision, the confusion. Regular people aren't going to be able to do that, cops aren't going to be able to...no matter whether they go to the range every other day or not.

And again, nothing to argue here, but when and where do we ever get to actually discussing the whys of guns, why do you want it and maybe more importantly why do you feel you have to have it? The psychological impetus towards firearms in this country is......well, weird. I have no issue with hunters, range shooters, skeet shooters, I'll be honest, I watched the videos of that guy that mounted a handgun on a drone and though, "Hey, that's kinda cool". I've wrecked a % of my own hearing with firearms, they can be fun. I don't think we have a gun problem anywhere near as much as we have a "broken people egged on running wild self-medicating rage w/ violence can't-take-action-until-they-kill-someone" problem. We have a "insecure small dick/big gun" problem. We have a "I'll MAKE you hear me!" problem. And it really creeps me out that we have a "Oh I want some of that viral Columbine attention" problem.

But I'll be damned if I have any suggestions on what the hell to do about it.

Seems like there are an awful lot of people entirely happy with the way things are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LD0506 said:

And again, nothing to argue here, but when and where do we ever get to actually discussing the whys of guns, why do you want it and maybe more importantly why do you feel you have to have it? The psychological impetus towards firearms in this country is......well, weird. I have no issue with hunters, range shooters, skeet shooters, I'll be honest, I watched the videos of that guy that mounted a handgun on a drone and though, "Hey, that's kinda cool". I've wrecked a % of my own hearing with firearms, they can be fun. I don't think we have a gun problem anywhere near as much as we have a "broken people egged on running wild self-medicating rage w/ violence can't-take-action-until-they-kill-someone" problem. We have a "insecure small dick/big gun" problem. We have a "I'll MAKE you hear me!" problem. And it really creeps me out that we have a "Oh I want some of that viral Columbine attention" problem.

But I'll be damned if I have any suggestions on what the hell to do about it.

Seems like there are an awful lot of people entirely happy with the way things are.

I have pretty much no argument with any of this. It's a cluster**** of complicated problems but people are looking for simple solutions (on both side) and that will never work. IMO we have to start by acknowledging it and dedicating resources to studying it. Unfortunately the NRA basically forced it so that the CDC isn't even allowed to research gun violence in a scientific way. Can't do anything about a problem if you're not allowed to study it in a scientific or logical way.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, visionary said:

My wife went to high school with that guy...she thought he was cute. <——all of this is true.

1 hour ago, twa said:

The CDC is better suited to making a better flu vaccine....or should be.:kickcan:

The talking point of them not being able to do gun violence studies neglects that they can do those studies, with one condition.

Well we sure as hell ain’t gonna put the RepublicNRA in charge!

Which agency the Trump has neglected, gutted and neutered would YOU put in charge of the study?

#RepublicansDontWantAnswersToGunViolence

1 hour ago, twa said:

The CDC is better suited to making a better flu vaccine....or should be.:kickcan:

The talking point of them not being able to do gun violence studies neglects that they can do those studies, with one condition.

Honest question, I'm really interested in your perspective on this. From a conservative point of view, who would you like to see do analysis on these sorts of things?

Just now, mistertim said:

Honest question, I'm really interested in your perspective on this. From a conservative point of view, who would you like to see do analysis on these sorts of things?

Hell no!

If they did an HONEST study they might find out that their “more guns means more safety” mythology is empty, false and has no basis in reality. 

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Hell no!

If they did an HONEST study they might find out that their “more guns means more safety” mythology is empty, false and has no basis in reality. 

I'd certainly be inclined to agree. Just curious as to what twa thinks. 

• Like 1

Just now, mistertim said:

The OSTP and NAS is capable, the FBI/ATF as well as many foundations.

The CDC and NIH overstepped in the past and are now gunshy :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2016/06/22/why-i-dont-trust-government-backed-gun-violence-research/#4406be8ced81

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Hell no!

I'm the first to admit more guns results in more gun related deaths, of course  trying to remove them will result in even more......who dies in those equations might be a good study.

On the other hand I know a good guy with a gun stops bad guys with a gun more than duck and cover.

I'm less gun dependent than many, but I don't need one for most problems