Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

4 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

An adult is also capable of understanding that more guns will lead to more gun crime…but here we are.

I know. 

my point is the only people that’ll use it as a distraction, is the people that weren’t going to participate productively anyways. 

• Thumb up 1

I never supported the whole "defund the police" movement but Uvalde PD deserves to be defunded. What the **** is all that funding for IF YOU LET LITTLE KIDS BLEED OUT AND GET SLAUGHTERED FOR AN HOUR?!?!?!?!?! JESUS ****ING CHRIST

An 11-year-old little girl smeared her dead friend's blood on her own body and played dead to survive FOR AN HOUR while the cops hung around because they were AFRAID THEY COULD GET HURT???????

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME  

• Sad 4

I can’t even read this anymore. It’s so infuriating they would stand there for 45 minutes. 

it’s just not fathomable you me that 19 police officers would just stand there. This is literally their ****ing job, that they signed up for. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Now it turns out he was arrested 4 years ago for saying he planned to shoot up a school after graduation?  How can this get any worse!  omg...

That is so damning and frustrating. That would put him at 14 and a minor, which likely wouldn't be on his adult record. 

This is just an utter failure in so many ways. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

I can’t even read this anymore. It’s so infuriating they would stand there for 45 minutes. 

it’s just not fathomable you me that 19 police officers would just stand there. This is literally their ****ing job, that they signed up for. 

I'm not sure they signed up for the dangerous part...pathetic.  

Police slow to engage with gunman because ‘they could’ve been shot,’ official says

Police were reluctant to immediately engage with the gunman who spent an hour inside the elementary school in Uvalde, Tex., where he killed 19 children and two adults because “they could’ve been shot,” a lieutenant with the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a CNN interview.

And the Stupid Teen of the Year award goes to the kid at Northfield High School in Denver, who decided that yesterday would be a good time to bring a paintball gun into the school and run through the hallways shooting at others. He was was dressed in black and wearing a black bacalva over his face.

Students saw him enter the school carrying a dangerous looking weapon, called 911 about a shooter on campus, and panic ensued.  The school was locked down with a shelter-in-place order, and there was a massive police response to an active shooter call. 

It turns out that several students were playing a game as part of an and-of-year prank. Two students were arrested and - hopefully - charged with extreme stupidity. 

Police arrest 2 after Northfield High School placed on lockdown (coloradosun.com)

50 minutes ago, visionary said:

I know.  I'm worried that everything will be blamed on the cops.  And it gives the GOP an out.  They'll just say police need to be more aggressive and if they were doing their job, everything would be fine.

Easy win for Dems and gun control if they would take it. Counter that by saying of course cops weren’t prepared to deal with a guy with that kind of weapon and ammo. They need to be taken off the streets. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

No, they signed up to give speeding tickets.  

Now I'm really mad.  Before, I was just sad about everything...sad about another school shooting, loss of life and that we just continue to have these problems.  I stopped being mad, I'm sorry to say, years ago.  Now, it's just sadness.

But for the police to have not stepped up.  ****ing unbelievable.  This is terrible.  

yea, this looks extremely bad for the cops. I thought yesterday there was a reasonable explanation but now it isn’t looking like it. I can’t imagine 19 people sitting around hearing gun shots at an elementary school and not doing everything they could to stop it.   For cops who are trained to deal with these kind of situations I just can’t see what they were thinking.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I never supported the whole "defund the police" movement but Uvalde PD deserves to be defunded. What the **** is all that funding for IF YOU LET LITTLE KIDS BLEED OUT AND GET SLAUGHTERED FOR AN HOUR?!?!?!?!?! JESUS ****ING CHRIST

An 11-year-old little girl smeared her dead friend's blood on her own body and played dead to survive FOR AN HOUR while the cops hung around because they were AFRAID THEY COULD GET HURT???????

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME  

@CousinsCowgirl84 they should have rushed in 

• Thumb up 1

This is what happens when the right wing collective subconscious Rambo fantasies meet real life.

Those piece of **** cops were all about posing in tacticool gear with their rifles, but when **** actually went down they were cowards and just stood around while little children were being shot to death.

I thought Texas was fully of Billy Badasses who were all about shooting people and killing turrists. What happened, Texas?

Fire them all without pensions, see if there's a way to charge them with crimes. Throw the book at them. I'm sure other inmates in prison would just love having former cops who allowed children to be murdered in their midst. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think the media certainly has something to do with it.  IMO, the school shooting craze started in '99 with Columbine.  I'll never forget where I was, I was on a bus after school headed to play a baseball game when a kid on the team who was listening to the radio heard about it and told everyone what was going on.

If you're old enough, you remember the coverage.  Aerial footage from helicopters above the school, kids climbing out of windows...for people of a certain age, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold are names that you don't forget.  And in their coverage of the tragedy, their names and faces were plastered everywhere.  EVERYWHERE.  The still shots from security cameras of them roaming the halls with their guns to their manifesto to how they planned this for several months, the analyzing of every possible angle as to WHY THEY DID THIS (bullied, wanted to get back at the jocks and cool kids) inadvertently made them rock stars.  People also forget that their plan went sideways on them, they wanted to kill more than 500 people; it wasn't just a school shooting they were trying to pull off, they wanted to be ultimate mass murderers on a scale that Tim McVeigh was.  Yeah, Columbine is classified as a school shooting but Harris and Klebold also had bombs ready to go.  

It is about mental illness, IMO, partially, as I've said before anyone who wants to do something like this is ****ed in the head.  But it's also about fame and it is also about power...power in the moment of taking lives but also the power of suddenly having a nation's attention when no one cared about them a day before.  I mean, how does a teenager who is bullied and picked on and has no self esteem make a name for himself in the span of a week and go down in history at the same time?  

Make no mistake, the media gives that to them hand over fist.  The coverage of Columbine was so...I dunno, intense?  Long?  It seemingly went on for weeks.  And, IMO, every time their names and faces were on TV or on the cover of a magazine or newspaper, it just spoke to a whole bunch of kids who have been bullied and picked on and have a festering rage inside of them and they don't know how to cope with it.  Not long after that, you had the Virginia Tech massacre...talk about a guy who didn't know how to -and more importantly- didn't want to deal with his mental issues.  But also wrote a big manifesto about his hatred for rich people.  He wanted to be known and he made sure EVERYONE knew why he did what he did.

I agree that the assault weapon ban ending plays a part here, not long after that Columbine happened. But I think by far and away that the notoriety and attention the media gives these school shooters is a big part of it.  And, of course, the media doesn't want to be culpable.  They want clicks, they want ad revenue, they want ratings.  And they would never, ever admit that they have a role in all of this, too.  The media, in a weird way, is like the NRA and the Republicans in terms of the attitude they have when denying responsibility for anything.  But who are the ones that made Klebold and Harris FAMOUS?

But it's between a rock and a hard place, right?  Of course WE all want to know everything all the time.  I remember the Vegas shooting, you got upset with me because I said knowing that guy's motive didn't matter to me.  However, it was inconceivable to you that I didn't want to know.  And I didn't, simply because I think that the media and the 24 hour news cycle and all of the analyzing up and down, left and right just simply gives these people too much power that they don't deserve.  

I understand what you are saying. But I don’t remember any of these guys saying they wanted fame. A few of them said they wanted to spread an ideology, a few were clearly legit crazy, some were just racist. I don’t remember a single one saying they wanted infamy. 

To your point about Columbine, I am old enough to remember the footage. I remember being confused. I do not remember the people responsible at all. Not a name not a face nothing. And the people shooting up schools and grocery stores in black neighborhoods right now are decades younger than I am. I bet they don’t either. Children have very little respect for history as is. So I doubt they hold the infamy those guys received in any regard either. 

I just think it’s silly to assume the media attention has much at all to do with it when compared to all the other factors we know and have statistics to prove had an effect. I can’t say that you are wrong…..Republicans won’t even allow the government to commission a study on it…..but I don’t think it’s really measurable compared to all the other things. And most of all I think it plays into Republican talking points that just drive us into further inaction. Which is probably the biggest reason I dislike the argument if I’m being honest. 

So who knows, really. I hate all of this ****. I’m just happy you think this deeply about it. I wish everyone did. Kinda makes me really sad just talking about it. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I understand what you are saying. But I don’t remember any of these guys saying they wanted fake. A few of them said they wanted to spread an ideology, a few were clearly legit crazy, some were just racist. I don’t remember a single one saying they wanted infamy. 

To your plaint about Columbine, I am old enough to remember the footage. I remember being confused. I don’t not remember the people responsible at all. Not a name not a face nothing. And the people shooting up schools and grocery stores in black neighborhoods right now are decades younger than I am. I bet they don’t either. Children have very little respect for history as is. So I doubt they hold the infamy those guys received in any regard either. 

I just think it’s silly to assume the media attention has much at all to do with it when compared to all the other factors we know and have statistics to prove had an effect. I can’t say that you are wrong…..Republicans won’t even allow the government to commission a study on it…..but I don’t think it’s really measurable compared to all the other things. And most of all I think it plays into Republican talking points that just drive us into further inaction. Which is probably the biggest reason I dislike the argument if I’m being honest. 

So who knows, really. I hate all of this ****. I’m just happy you think this deeply about it. I wish everyone did. Kinda makes me really sad just talking about it. 

I was 7 when Columbine happened and yet I definitely remember the names Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris.

For the longest time, I figured most cops would get it harm's way to help people when they were in danger.

Then I figured out that was a lot more likely if you were of the Caucasian persuasion, such as myself.

Now I feel like they are mostly out there to protect their own asses. They shoot people dead when they feel the slightest amount of discomfort for their own safety and now fail to rush in when they could save children's lives.

These busters need to have their sweet early retirement ages bumped way up and their salaries bumped way down. If they aren't willing to lay it out on the line for the taxpayers who pay them, they don't deserve any of those sweet bennies. Since 9/11, cops have benefited from the hype that they are above reproach and they've bought into it.

My wife used to work dispatch for a university police department, and the officers all acted like frat boys. They would actually text pictures of their dumps to each other, comment on the coeds walking outside, etc. Douchebags. 

17 minutes ago, michiskin said:

My wife used to work dispatch for a university police department, and the officers all acted like frat boys. They would actually text pictures of their dumps to each other, comment on the coeds walking outside, etc. Douchebags.

Low requirements of entry and you tend to get the bottom of the barrel. 

Teachers are required to have a bachelors degree and a masters after a certain amount of time., many police officers don't even have a requirement of an associates degree. They just have to complete the 500+ hours of training and they are free to go. 

Below are the minimum requirements for a Anne Arundel County Police Officer. Below that is the minimum requirement for a teacher. 

U.S. Citizen, at least 21 years old at the time of graduation from the academy, H.S. Diploma or GED, valid driver’s license.
** No Felony or Serious Misdemeanor Convictions.

Required Application Materials

When applying for teaching position with AACPS please be sure to include the following:

• Updated Resume
  • Copy of any valid teaching certificates you possess (if applicable)
  • Unofficial transcript for all degrees awarded (transcripts should show the date your degree was conferred)
  • Copies of passing test scores required for teacher certification
  • Three professional references (you will have an opportunity to provide reference information at the time of application)