Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017-2018 NCAA Men's Basketball

PleaseBlitz

I think modern NBA basketball, which is fantastic, has ruined college basketball for me.  I've watched as many of these tourney games as I can and I agree with LKBs take.  This is bad basketball that's about 90% late shot clock bad shot taking.  The bright spot has been that I've lucked into watching mostly games with exciting finishes.  

Maybe it's time to change the rules.  

One of my ideas for changing the rules would be to reduce the fouling at the end of games.  A foul is supposed to be a penalty.  But teams are rewarded for fouling at the end of games by a clock stoppage.  Give the team that is fouled the option of inbounding the ball rather than shooting free throws.  

I like the college game more than the NBA. I like the strategy involved and the overall team aspect, whereas the NBA relies on more superstar 1-1 play (not all the time obviously). I also love the format of March Madness as well, which adds to the drama. I also think there is way more parity. We all pretty much know who is going to win the NBA title (Warriors).

NBA is way more athletic and quick paced, and I definitely enjoy watching it, but prefer the college game.

39 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think modern NBA basketball, which is fantastic, has ruined college basketball for me.  I've watched as many of these tourney games as I can and I agree with LKBs take.  This is bad basketball that's about 90% late shot clock bad shot taking.  The bright spot has been that I've lucked into watching mostly games with exciting finishes.  

Maybe it's time to change the rules.  

There are two obvious rule changes they need to make, but both will absolutely kill the upsets in the NCAA tourney, and that's where college basketball makes its money.

Reduce the shot clock and move back the three point line. Nearly every major NCAA tourney upset over the last 25 years has involved some team from nowhere hitting a million threes with 2 seconds left on the shot clock. It's basically a math problem for better teams. There are 20 minutes in a half. The shot clock is 35 seconds. If a team consistently runs the clock down to 5 seconds, they can limit each team to 25 possessions in a half. Make 8 3-pointers in those 25 possesions and you have 24 points. That requires a good team to score 25 points in 25 possessions. Elite teams average 1.1 points per possession. That's 27.5 points on 25 possessions. You hold that team to one less basket than normal in each half and it's a 2 point game.

9 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Reduce the shot clock and move back the three point line.

If you do this, then every team will play a dumb zone defense and final scores will be like 36 to 37.

You'd have to ban zone defense too in order to open up the floor for dribble and pass penetration.

I'm for a 24 second clock because it cuts down on a tremendous amount of time-wasting with pointless ball reversal.  That's the biggest thing that makes the college basketball product inferior.  Coaches should be compelled to run offensive sets where the intent to break the defense begins immediately in the play design.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If you do this, then every team will play a dumb zone defense and final scores will be like 36 to 37.

You'd have to ban zone defense too in order to open up the floor for dribble and pass penetration.

I'm for a 24 second clock because it cuts down on a tremendous amount of time-wasting with pointless ball reversal.  That's the biggest thing that makes the college basketball product inferior.  Coaches should be compelled to run offensive sets where the intent to break the defense begins immediately in the play design.

I don't see why moving back the three point line will kill scoring. Teams scored in the 70s and 80s before the three point line existed.

8 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't see why moving back the three point line will kill scoring. Teams scored in the 70s and 80s before the three point line existed.

A short shot clock against committed zones means a game full of bricked perimeter jumpers.  If you move the line back, that'll mean more of them are long 2s than 3s.

Scoring is down because, unlike the NBA, college teams put an emphasis on team defense and getting 5 guys back to avoid transition points.

I'm not sure why anyone wants to turn NCAAB into AAU ball.

But hey..I'm sure #pressvirginia would love a 24 second clock. That's means opposing teams would consistently have 15-16 seconds to run their offense from half court. Teams might break 40 now! 

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

That's means opposing teams would consistently have 15-16 seconds to run their offense from half court. Teams might break 40 now! 

Better than watching teams uselessly swing pass the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds before someone finally decides to try and dribble into a set defense or chuck a shot they can't hit more than 30% of the time.

36 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A short shot clock against committed zones means a game full of bricked perimeter jumpers.  If you move the line back, that'll mean more of them are long 2s than 3s.

The 6'0 white guys who fill out the benches on every NCAA team aren't going to enter the game to shoot long 2s. They'll either extend their range or be replaced by guys who have a more complete game that involves either driving or posting.

(For the record, as much as I love the modern NBA, I'm tempted to eliminate the corner three while moving the line back maybe 6 inches around the perimeter. The true three point bombers won't be impacted but the 3 and D guys of the world will suddenly have to develop a broader skill set).

17 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Scoring is down because, unlike the NBA, college teams put an emphasis on team defense and getting 5 guys back to avoid transition points.

I'm not sure why anyone wants to turn NCAAB into AAU ball.

But hey..I'm sure #pressvirginia would love a 24 second clock. That's means opposing teams would consistently have 15-16 seconds to run their offense from half court. Teams might break 40 now! 

Scoring is down because everyone runs some ****ized version of the Princeton offense with the exception that no one falls asleep on back-cuts any longer. I've said this before but Princeton basketball teams won the Ivy League under Carril because only Princeton and Penn recruited guys who could actually play. The "Princeton" didn't really work in the league because every team had seen it twice a year for 30 years. If we scored on a back-cut, it because our players were a step faster than their defenders, not because the entire defense fell asleep. It was really only in the pre-season and post-season tourneys did you see teams standing around with their thumbs up their ass as a future investment banker received a perfect bounce pass from a future lawyer and a made a perfect two handed layup.

Everyone in the country knows how to defend this now so every college guy feels like a February Princeton-Cornell game from 1994 - which I can assure you was the most boring sporting event you could possibly imagine.

Having said all of that, if shortening the clock and extending the line makes Virginia MORE annoying, that's good for college ball. It would mean diversity, because only a handful of teams will try to play the UVA way and only a small percentage of that would succeed. John Calipari is not going to get his high school All Americans by promising them 4 shots per game.

I'm actually old enough to remember the NCAA before there was even a shot clock. I know the crimes against humanity committed by Dean Smith. I saw them. But while he was doing that, Bobby Knight was actually running a pretty progressive offense for its day, and Al Maguire was literally rolling out a ball to same Rucker League stars and saying "Go have fun." There was diversity all over college basketball. And this was before Westphal showed up.

I really don't understand how anyone enjoys watching every team run the same offense - "Freshman guards making six dribble handoffs before jacking up a contested three."

Not only is the actual game hard to watch, we also need to address the shoe squeaking in college basketball. NBA games either don't have that same level or they figure out a way to tone it down for TV broadcasts, play other music and chants etc to hide it.

All i hear in college basketball is loud ass shoe squeaking. Its distracting and annoying. Play music or something. 

Archived