Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

43 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I wonder how much career Vernon Davis has left in him. If he has 2-3 seasons of above-average production, I agree with you that we trade Reed and then prioritize TE in next years draft. He's awesome when healthy but he's almost never healthy.

This is part of why I wanted us to draft a TE this year.  Give them (and Sprinkle) time to develop and then evaluate the position next year.  

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

I wonder how much career Vernon Davis has left in him. If he has 2-3 seasons of above-average production, I agree with you that we trade Reed and then prioritize TE in next years draft. He's awesome when healthy but he's almost never healthy.

Reed will probably bump into Davis walker and miss 9 games and Davis has faded out half way through the past two seasons. Sprinkles time to shine. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reed will probably bump into Davis walker and miss 9 games and Davis has faded out half way through the past two seasons. Sprinkles time to shine. 

I don't know if i'd agree with the idea that Davis faded half way through the last 2 seasons....  Last year he had 23 of his 43 catches and 384 of his 689 yards in the final 8 weeks of the season.  Looks like catches and yards its almost an even split.... and that includes the game vs Philly where he had 0 catches to end the season. 

To your original point, It is time for Sprinkle to shine.  If there is an opportunity for him to become a starter for the foreseeable future, it's going to be now.  Reed is oft injured and while Davis can still produce, he's not getting any younger.... We didnt draft a successor and it doesn't appear to be an emphasis in free agency.  Sprinkle can take a stronghold on the starting TE position if he shows up this season.   

11 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't know if i'd agree with the idea that Davis faded half way through the last 2 seasons....  Last year he had 23 of his 43 catches and 384 of his 689 yards in the final 8 weeks of the season.  Looks like catches and yards its almost an even split.... and that includes the game vs Philly where he had 0 catches to end the season. 

To your original point, It is time for Sprinkle to shine.  If there is an opportunity for him to become a starter for the foreseeable future, it's going to be now.  Reed is oft injured and while Davis can still produce, he's not getting any younger.... We didnt draft a successor and it doesn't appear to be an emphasis in free agency.  Sprinkle can take a stronghold on the starting TE position if he shows up this season.   

Did Davis stat totals increasing coincide with Reed being injured and getting more PT? Serious question, because I don't know. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Did Davis stat totals increasing coincide with Reed being injured and getting more PT? Serious question, because I don't know. 

I had it backward, for whatever reason NFL.com has the weeks in ascending order, week 1 - week 17, ESPN has it the opposite, week 17 - week 1.  So that means Davis had 20 catches for 305 in the 2nd half of the season.  Still comparable, but the dud game was vs Philly, so there was a drop off in the 2nd half.  

That said, Reed went down in week 8 and Davis had a minor drop of AFTER week 8.  Not sure if that's Davis falling off or Gruden lightening the load on the TEs because Reed wasn't out there.  It also changed the way the defense played us.  

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I had it backward, for whatever reason NFL.com has the weeks in ascending order, week 1 - week 17, ESPN has it the opposite, week 17 - week 1.  So that means Davis had 20 catches for 305 in the 2nd half of the season.  Still comparable, but the dud game was vs Philly, so there was a drop off in the 2nd half.  

That said, Reed went down in week 8 and Davis had a minor drop of AFTER week 8.  Not sure if that's Davis falling off or Gruden lightening the load on the TEs because Reed wasn't out there.  It also changed the way the defense played us.  

Either way, I hope Vernon is good for another couple of seasons so we can land a top TE in next years' draft. Along with two OG (one early, one late) and Edge/QB/S/CB.

I am assuming Jonathan Allen-Payne already lobbying for this guy.  So our next pick. :)

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-early-analysis-on-raekwon-davis/

Ledyard | Early analysis on Raekwon Davis

I’ve begun to dive into the potential 2019 NFL Draft class. I don’t want to talk about it, it just happened, ok? I promise I’ll stay away from any superlatives until at least August.

One of the players who caught my eye most often during my scouting of the 2018 class was Alabama sophomore Raekwon Davis. At 6-6, 300 pounds, Davis has an incredible frame with ideal length for the position. But the way he uses that length to keep opponents off his frame is what is most impressive about his skill set, as well as the eye-popping leverage he plays with for a big man.

You’d never guess Davis was 6-6 watching him consistently win as the low man in the trenches. His pad level and hand usage are advanced for a first-year starter. You don’t see many sophomores chucking around experienced top 40 picks like Braden Smith, but that’s what Davis did all game long against Auburn.

In the run game, I haven’t noticed many issues for Davis outside of his first step. He’s consistently too late off the ball, which will be an issue in the NFL. I don’t know that he lacks explosiveness, and Alabama’s defense rarely had him ball-watching, but he needs to do a better job of winning off the ball if he is going to reach his potential as a disruptive presence up front.

I think Davis will face athleticism questions, but that doesn’t mean I think he’s a poor athlete. He moves very well for a player of his size, but explosiveness and first step burst are important traits for an interior defensive linemen, and Davis doesn’t really win that way right now.

Of Davis’ ten tackles-for-loss, 8.5 were sacks. He doesn’t make a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage in the run game, and a good number of his sacks were cleanup/hustle plays. I think Davis still has some development to undergo in order to become a highly impactful rusher, as he can be a little slow to deploy moves in 1v1 situations. But the flashes are pretty impressive, especially considering that he doesn’t threaten off the ball as much as he will when his first step improves.

Worst case scenario, Davis looks like an early starter in the NFL who is a strong run defender with three-down potential. If he improves his first step and develops a consistent pass rush plan, Davis has the look of a potential top 15 pick and a potentially elite prospect.

5 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

LG is looking like it might be a potential problem this year.  Raekwon Davis looks nice, but the Redskins better find a starting LG within the first two rounds of next year's draft. 

Agree.  I am just being facetious some with going all in every year as to Alabama D lineman. 

On 5/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, cakmoney61 said:

LG is looking like it might be a potential problem this year.  Raekwon Davis looks nice, but the Redskins better find a starting LG within the first two rounds of next year's draft. 

As long as there's one there thats worth that pick.

Insanely early mocks have 2 guards with 1st round grades... If they're on the board and we're up, I'd have no problem taking one... it'll be expensive in the long run, but we need the line to dominate.  

28 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

As long as there's one there thats worth that pick.

Insanely early mocks have 2 guards with 1st round grades... If they're on the board and we're up, I'd have no problem taking one... it'll be expensive in the long run, but we need the line to dominate.  

While I don't profess to being a "football guy" in terms of understanding the Xs and Os or even the breakdown of film to assess individual prospects, my gut feeling has always been that an elite OL can make up for a lot of deficiencies in a team. Provided we have a good (not necessarily elite) QB, a good RB and at least one or two top shelf receivers (including TE, but not necessarily), I am more than fine investing a first round pick at OG if he is BPA where we pick.

Based purely on cap hits, Reed (and Davis), Brown, Norman and Kerrigan are the guys I’d be looking closely at replacing next year.  The latter two I don’t mind holding onto though, especially as we let a guy get comfortable.  So, TE, ILB, corner, and OLB.  

Based purely on need (based on weak spots, expiring contracts, aging players) - LG, OLB, blocking TE and QB.  Slot corner could be another weak spot, though Holsey and Stroman have promise there.  In 2020, we have Scherff, Foster, Ioannidas, Thompson, Swearinger (and Everett) as our big FAs.  

I’m thinking we have a chance at Hamilton replacing Foster, Lanier replacing Ioannidas (though I’m assuming we’d want to extend him), Blanding/Apke replacing our SSs, and Carter, etc. replacing Thompson... depending on how these guys step up/develop.  

Going off those two lists, I’ve got LG (x2 if we can’t/don’t extend Scherff), TE and OLB (unless we extend Smith and/or Anderson shows a lot) as our bigger needs.  Followed by QB and corner.  Then ILB/RB/S/DE.  

If we do extend Smith and Scherff, we’re looking at 2 big needs - LG/TE, and lesser ones that we might already have an answer for - ILB, OLB, corner, S, RB (but not QB - no offense to Hogan).  

Sidenote - I think they ought to try to find a way to add a 1st round pick for 2020 so we can potentially trade up for a qb.  

Just now, XxSpearheadxX said:

If Jordan Reed was on another team would you trade next years first to bring him to the skins? Honest question. 

I wouldn't be happy if my team dealt a 3rd for him. 

30 minutes ago, duffy said:

I wouldn't be happy if my team dealt a 3rd for him. 

I would trade Jordon Reed for a 3rd right now.  He had WAY too many concussions and I don't think will see more that 6 regular season games again.  His career will be over after this season.  I hate to say that but look at the last 2 years of his health and endurance.  

13 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

If Jordan Reed was on another team would you trade next years first to bring him to the skins? Honest question. 

If he posted top 5 numbers and went through the season concussion-free, then maybe. Especially if I had a need and more than one first rounder.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:15 PM, XxSpearheadxX said:

Now if I was in charge another team for a day I'd trade my next 2 first rounders and my best guard for him.

A family member who works in an nfl front office has been talking up the 2019 class for a bit. The DL/OL classes are unbelievable. I personally would love to draft Gray from MD as a guard who could eventually replace Trent. Hes going to be special, imo. Hes not in any mocks I've seen so far, but that will change.

On 5/21/2018 at 8:15 PM, XxSpearheadxX said:

No one would do that. His trade value to another team is probably a 5th or 6th rd pick. He is worth more than that to the Redskins based on his knowledge of the system and what he can be when healthy. But let's but honest, he has been mostly a non-factor the last two years. Hopefully that changes this year. But to be honest I am not very hopeful. It will likely be more of the same - great when he is 100% and in the game - and then get injured and be a non-factor the rest of the year. 

Unless he is mostly healthy and has a great year I would expect this to be his last as a Redskin. He represents a $6.2M CAP savings if released next year. Not excited about the $3M in dead cap, but to me, again unless he has a great year, they need to look for another #1 TE. I can see that being a top priority next off-season. Vernon Davis is not timeless. And Sprinkle is never going to be a big time receiving target.  

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@goskins10 Reed was definitely not a “non-factor” in 2016. He was a big part of most games that season, except for that final 4 games of the season (and even then, he caught a TD against the giants to get us within i think a FG (before the defense gave up a long TD on the next drive). 

I never said he didn't catch any passes. He was awesome in the few games he was 100% and where caught more than 50% of his catches for the year (4 gms for 36 of the 66 catches). But he played in only 12 games starting just 8. So for me that's pretty much a non-factor. 

The questions answered was, if you were a GM from another team would you trade a 1st rd pick for Jordan Reed. I answered that question - No. Again, when Jordan Reed is healthy he easily a top 3 pass catching TE. But he is just not healthy enough. He has played only 52 of a potential of 80 gms in his career. You are no good to the team on the sideline. Unless that changes this year it's unlikely he will be a Redskin in 2019. At least he shouldn't be. They need to move on.

Archived