Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well as it stands right now, 3 more teams have passed on James, and counting.

He was taken at 17. Not exactly a free fall. ANn one of the 3 that went in front of him was Edmunds. So even if you don;t like James as much - take Edmunds. 

I hope Payne works out as I am Redskins fan first. But I just do not see this as the best use of the #13 pick in the draft when you really need blue chip players that can play 3 downs - especially on D. 

6 minutes ago, carex said:

and then when nothing changes because the good position continues to play good and the bad position continues to play bad fans can scream about how the fans do nothing to plug the holes, and how either the falling talent isn't playing because he can't beat out the guy there or we've got a previous seasons quality player is sitting on the bench

in most drafts you'd be correct, but james and edmunds were top 7-10 picks that fell to you, and you took a 23-27 ranked player

and im fine with the player, he will be good for us, just cant get past leaving blue chips, there are only a few of them each year, and this year cause of run on qb's we could have taken one at 13....

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

But I just do not see this as the best use of the #13 pick in the draft when you really need blue chip players that can play 3 downs - especially on D. 

The way I look at is, as this regular season goes on, and every regular season to follow, we'll be talking about how good our overall defense is playing in actual games, not whether we got the right value out of our pick(s).

Check the board here, during and after games, and you'll see what I mean !

Good thing is that Payne is NFL ready.  Payne and Allen were coached by long time NFL DLine coach Karl Dunbar.  His hands are outstanding, he's strong as a rock and he will have an immediate impact.  Plus he's 20 years old.  I think the pick is fine...I was hoping to get a few picks in a trade scenario.

1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Good thing is that Payne is NFL ready.  Payne and Allen were coached by long time NFL DLine coach Karl Dunbar.  His hands are outstanding, he's strong as a rock and he will have an immediate impact.  Plus he's 20 years old.  I think the pick is fine...I was hoping to get a few picks in a trade scenario.

I also like that he used to be 350 pounds and has chiseled himself into a 311 pound rock. And he can't yet legally buy a beer! 

Is Lamar Jackson really gonna fall right into NE's lap, without having to trade up, leaving them with another 1st to still use? Unbelievable. BAL is only conceivable threat I can see remaining in the 1st round, and I doubt anyone wants to trade all the way back into round 2. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

He was taken at 17. Not exactly a free fall. ANn one of the 3 that went in front of him was Edmunds. So even if you don;t like James as much - take Edmunds. 

I hope Payne works out as I am Redskins fan first. But I just do not see this as the best use of the #13 pick in the draft when you really need blue chip players that can play 3 downs - especially on D. 

wasn't he considered a top ten guy?  That's at least seven spots.  And why exactly do we need more three downdefensive players?  We rotate DL contantly as part of our philosophy.  We'd do it no matter who we have.  We add DBs on third down and we put out OLB on the DL.  I don't think we rotate out to many of the DBs when we add DB but I may be wrong.  So essentially the only spot we might need a three down player is at inside LB.  We have one, and the one three down ILB we have is considered the weaker of our two ILB. 

So where is this three down defender so key?

That's not the point. I could care less about value. think it is highly overrated. I am talking about who can help your team more. Payne is not a 3 dn player. He is weak in poass rush. He quits on plays and is pedestrian against better opponents which is all he will face in the NFL. Edmunds and James, even Davenport can help the D more. So Payne makes us go from 32nd to 25th. IMO I believe the other guys can take us even higher - make us at least average. Payne cannot do that - at least vnto right now. Maybe Tomsula works some magic. Also, you can get Payne or someone as good as him and does the same thing at 44. 

1 minute ago, carex said:

wasn't he considered a top ten guy?  That's at least seven spots.  And why exactly do we need more three downdefensive players?  We rotate DL contantly as part of our philosophy.  We'd do it no matter who we have.  We add DBs on third down and we put out OLB on the DL.  I don't think we rotate out to many of the DBs when we add DB but I may be wrong.  So essentially the only spot we might need a three down player is at inside LB.  We have one, and the one three down ILB we have is considered the weaker of our two ILB. 

So where is this three down defender so key?

So are you arguing for Payne or against James???  I will take both. Making some top 10 analogy makes no sense since the issue is he was there for us at 13. So he dropped 4 spots after and one of those was Edmunds and another was Davenport - all 3 much better athletes and can help our team more. 

And you made my point for me about Payne. We do rotate DL out. You can get a 2 dn guy in the 2nd rd - especially this year. There are several other DTs that will be there at 44 that are just as good as Payne. So we passed exceptional talent that can help the defense play better on all 3 dns for a guy that is only going to help us on 1st and maybe 2nd dn. 

1 minute ago, dcdiscokid said:

i hope not at this point, character issues bother me...

Guice has no character issues imo. He's had some idiotic nitpicky red flags pointed out because he dared speak up about part of the draft process and scouts got salty. He's a future stud RB I think

Archived