Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

7 hours ago, Panninho said:

I am mostly surprised that mail-in voting isn't a possibility for everyone in some states so far. I'm German but live in Austria, so I have been voting via mail-in for more than a decade now and I was never asked to give a reason. You just request the paperwork and hand it in.

Is there actually any good reason to not provide everyone with this opportunity other than Republicans fearing a bigger voter turnout?

There are no good reasons. In my post above yours, I !linked two articles about Oregon, which is 100% mail in/drop off voting for decades. There are other states with either 100% mail in or widely available mail in voting. All states provide for mail in voting for those who will be out of state on election day.

20 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

wouldn't surprise me if they convince Thomas to walk away to give Trump a huge win before the election. The Senate would jam thru anyone

The people who care about another right wing justice are going to vote for him anyway. Probably, the main reason they are voting for him.

I don't see this really changing the equation.

Biden wins, it will be from people who are opposed to Trump.  It will not be from Trump voters voting for Biden or sitting this election out.    Now, if Trump voters do vote for Biden or sit this election out; then Biden could be headed for a landslide.  I say the odds of that are slim.

Trump only has about 45% of the electorate.  Another 5% for various third parties.  So, there's probably 50% of electorate that Biden can get.  If he does that, in the right states, he will win.  

56 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

wouldn't surprise me if they convince Thomas to walk away to give Trump a huge win before the election. The Senate would jam thru anyone

Susan Collins would not allow anyone to be jammed through.  She would feign consternation for at least 48 hours before voting along party lines.

All kidding aside, I would be very surprised if Thomas was convinced to step down.  Thomas has very particular feelings regarding how laws should be interpreted and how the country should be structured, and I've always gotten the sense that his main goal is to advance his personal jurisprudence for as long as he can to try and guide the Court in a certain direction as much as possible before he retires.  

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Susan Collins would not allow anyone to be jammed through.  She would feign consternation for at least 48 hours before voting along party lines.

All kidding aside, I would be very surprised if Thomas was convinced to step down.  Thomas has very particular feelings regarding how laws should be interpreted and how the country should be structured, and I've always gotten the sense that his main goal is to advance his personal jurisprudence for as long as he can to try and guide the Court in a certain direction as much as possible before he retires.  

LOL. The Susan Collins line was good.

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. He's as ideological as any Justice ever, and if he's looking at the likelihood of at least 8 years of Democratic rule, which goes until he's past 80 years old, him stepping down to ensure a conservative majority for a couple of decades seems really on brand.

Archived