Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Roster Prediction

CTskin

If Roullier mans the C spot, you'd have Nsheke backing up both T spots, Long as the backup G/C, and Catalina as a G/T.  Bummed to see Kalis go, but the above makes some sense.  Of course, Roullier mostly played G in school, so I guess he and Long are interchangeable in that regard.  

The guys I'm really hoping clear waivers for us - Smithson, Hazel, Kalis, Marley, Davis, and (if they're eligible) Francis/Mbu.  

1 hour ago, zskins said:

We are going to be 4-3 mostly now. My guess is that we will be full 4-3 next year. 

I dont know. We kept 10 linebackers and 6 DL for a reason. I would expect us to be in 3-4 A LOT this season. I actually prefer the 3-4 in todays NFL anyways. You need more speed on the field with all of the passing in the league.

Matt Jones -- latest by-product of RBs Coach Randy Jordan's inability to develop the talent entrusted to him.

Thank God, Chris Thompson had a little time to learn the NFL basics with Bobby Turner.  Coach Jordan is this decade's version of Stan Hixon (former Skins WR coach, dismal!).

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is it possible we don't play 3-4 ?

It would hardly be a stretch to think that, since we only use it <30% of the time. Maybe a lot of opponents are going to want to pass on us so we are projecting it even less this year.

But 3 pure 3-4 guys gone and not replaced at the end of preseason wow I bet it hasn't happened in 10 years. That is THE root of the 3-4. Yeah we'll probably scour a JAG.... still. We do have McGee at ~330.... I hope it's not Allen... whatever - I like it - bold move Manusky. Eliminate the position that has eliminated us for much of the past 8 years.  Do the math, how much faster is our collective D losing 3 freaking anchors and adding 3 fast players? 

Or, reinvent NT in our new 1.5 scheme. Finally admit a 340 JAG is a net negative for us.

27 on D after losing the 3 noses. What's up. Our D is going to be flying.

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know. We kept 10 linebackers and 6 DL for a reason. I would expect us to be in 3-4 A LOT this season. I actually prefer the 3-4 in todays NFL anyways. You need more speed on the field with all of the passing in the league.

I am just reporting what one our D guy said on the radio couple of weeks ago that we will be more in 4-3. Wish I had caught the whole conv. but just got the end tail of that while switching channels on the road. 

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I am just reporting what one our D guy said on the radio couple of weeks ago that we will be more in 4-3. Wish I had caught the whole conv. but just got the end tail of that while switching channels on the road. 

The 34/43 argument is pointless these days. It really is.

8 hours ago, Wyvern said:

Matt Jones --

I tried to address the MJ comment, but it didn't work. Jordan might be the greatest RB coach around honestly, but MJ absolutely sucks and the coaching doesn't matter at all.

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Who would be the starters on the 4-3?.

HTTR 

with what we have? Guess?

left to right- Smith, Ioan, McGee, Lanier? Then Galette, Brown, Kerrigan?

Nickle we played a lot of Ioan, Lanier, with Kerrigan and Smith, with Brown and Mason at LB.

I have no real idea what Manusky is going to do. I'm kind of excited to see the youth movement in the secondary, since we have a solid couch back there. 

Keeping Hood makes me question the Dline. I know we had to keep the McReplacements because of money and now we have to make do, but why Hood? He's been terrible. He just physically can not do it. There's no short cut for that.

55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The 34/43 argument is pointless these days. It really is.

This is from wiki: NFL teams that use the 4–3 defense as of 2017 include the Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons, Minnesota Vikings, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders, Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Los Angeles Chargers, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, and the New York Giants. The Philadelphia Eagles returned to running a 4–3 defense for the 2016 season, after switching to the 3-4 at the start of 2013. The New York Jets used variations of the 4–3 for the 2012 NFL season against spread offenses, but will stick with the 3-4 defense as its base. The Patriots run a hybrid defense including elements from both the 4-3, and 3-4 defense.

3 teams listed above have won at least one SB in the last 10 years. 

1 hour ago, zskins said:

This is from wiki: NFL teams that use the 4–3 defense as of 2017 include the Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons, Minnesota Vikings, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders, Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Los Angeles Chargers, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, and the New York Giants. The Philadelphia Eagles returned to running a 4–3 defense for the 2016 season, after switching to the 3-4 at the start of 2013. The New York Jets used variations of the 4–3 for the 2012 NFL season against spread offenses, but will stick with the 3-4 defense as its base. The Patriots run a hybrid defense including elements from both the 4-3, and 3-4 defense.

3 teams listed above have won at least one SB in the last 10 years. 

so what? Seriously? oh, 34 teams win SBs sometimes? Really? Who cares about this artice.

should something exciing have happened?

1 hour ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

D-Line still a disaster.Teams will gouge us up the middle all day!Worried about Kerrigan, did he make a play all,preseason?

Not unless you call striking a pose and shooting a look, a play.

Where were you actually?

1 hour ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

D-Line still a disaster.Teams will gouge us up the middle all day!Worried about Kerrigan, did he make a play all,preseason?

Not unless you call striking a pose and shooting a look, a play.

Where were you actually?

I'm glad they finally made the move on Arie. I never liked the pick and he seemed to hang around jus because he was a pick.  Feel for a guy like Marley.  he could not have played much better but you just can't play linebacker at 200 pounds.  Glad they cut Sudfeld, they need the roster spot and as someone said every team in the league has a Nate Sudfeld.  The DL cuts just proves they have a crappy DL as fans were actually claiming those guys cut could make a difference.

Really the only surprise was Dunbar. 

20 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

.... Jordan might be the greatest RB coach around honestly, but MJ absolutely sucks and the coaching doesn't matter at all.

My point was that Jordan is a terrible coach.  Most RBs entrusted to him don't get better -- and he doesn't seem to be able to develop talent, or help veterans adjust to the new style of running game.  During Jordan's tenure Morris' performance started to sag, and Helu opted to go elsewhere.

The following list are RBs who have been coached by Jordan:

Alfred Morris, Evan Royster, Roy Helu, Lache Seastrunk, Chris Thompson, Silas Redd, Darrell Young, Trey Williams, Jordan Campbell, Joe Kerridge, Mack Brown, Matt Jones, Keith Marshall, Robert Kelly, Kenny Hilliard, and Samje Perine.

The only Skins RBs on that list that turned out to be decent in the NFL were coached by other coaches in addition to Jordan.  (Notably coach Bobby Turner.).  Maybe Kelly and Brown will become 'bell-cow' RBs like Morris was, but I'm not holding my breath.  And people were already commenting on how Perine's lack of progress might be why Brown is on the 53-man roster?  ...?

Lastly, there is still a school of thought  that Jones has NFL potential and might still even be salvageable.  Since I suspect some team will pick Jones up, I expect we'll soon find out.  (He certainly didn't work out here.) 

But regardless of how bad Jones was, it was also  evident that Jordan was incapable of molding him into a better back.  ...just like many other new RBs on whom Jordan has failed to deliver.  Still, I hope Perine will be the exception -- because Samje has shown he's got a solid history as a talented 'bell-cow' RB at Oklahoma, even better credentials than what Matt Jones had.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

so what? Seriously? oh, 34 teams win SBs sometimes? Really? Who cares about this artice.

Our D has sucked since we switched to 34. So yeah I care. I rather go back to 43 if that means we will be back in the top 15. Since we will be mostly in 43 this year we shall see how that works out for us. 

Archived