Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Net Neutrality 2017

Springfield

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Sure, but who decides what's reasonable? The government is screwed up, can't imagine many thinking otherwise. But if we start saying the government should do what the majority says because we think it's reasonable or right what happens when someone else is in power and says the same thing about their issue.

I have no issue with calling out this NN stuff, it should be called out. But I can also call out a tweet like that which is misinformed and spreads false information. It would be bad if we were a straight up democracy and just did what the majority said, whether I agree with the majority or not.

Obviously what the pepole want should be taken into consideration, but what the majority wants as the driving factor for a government is too simple and chaos.

I understand what you're saying about democracy and majority rules.  I don't disagree with that.   

But there's a ginormous difference between 80 percent and 51/49 percent where things should probably be examined a little more closely.  I'm not coming up with any great solutions but there's also a big difference between something like this and a civil rights issue.

This isn't effecting anyone's civil rights, it's not violating anything in the Constitution, any of the amendments.  I don't have an issue with that tweet because we can go back and forth on what counts as a democracy and that's fine.  But the spirit of that tweet is 100% accurate, that this is something that erodes the faith in government as an institution worth engaging in and defending.

Speaking as someone who doesn't really like our government or politicians, this just pushes me even further away.  I said it before in this thread, it goes to show that they do not give a **** about us.  Our elected officials just served us up on a platter to the cable companies in a way to gouge our wallets in a way to "fix something" that wasn't broken to begin with.  Seeing them use our tax dollars to cover up their sexual misdeeds and now just strongarming some bull**** new rules about the internet into place that no one is in favor of, it makes me wonder who's really serving who here.   

22 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Sure, but who decides what's reasonable? The government is screwed up, can't imagine many thinking otherwise. But if we start saying the government should do what the majority says because we think it's reasonable or right what happens when someone else is in power and says the same thing about their issue.

I have no issue with calling out this NN stuff, it should be called out. But I can also call out a tweet like that which is misinformed and spreads false information. It would be bad if we were a straight up democracy and just did what the majority said, whether I agree with the majority or not.

Obviously what the pepole want should be taken into consideration, but what the majority wants as the driving factor for a government is too simple and chaos.

Everyone understands the point you are attempting to make. "What if 80% of Americans wanted something terrible???" If you have any current examples of something terrible 80% of the country wants to do, I'd be happy to have a conversation about that but generally speaking, what you are bringing up is why we have a Constitution with checks and balances.

Currently, what I see people supporting these days at the 80% or more are things like universal background checks to buy guns, doing away with bumpstocks and not getting rid of Net Neutrality. The problem is our ****ing government has said no to the people in all three instances because they are choosing big business and money over we the people. 

These days, the general public is far more on the right side of history with what is majority supported than the POS politicians. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/12/2017 at 3:53 AM, Larry said:

I'm really admiring the use of language to try to frame this issue, here.  You read about it, and you're constantly running up against two claims:  

"We're going to create a faster Internet, and sell it to people who pay extra."

"They're going to intentionally make the Internet slower, unless people pay extra."

The problem is that the two statements are identical.  It is impossible to just one or just the other.  

Well you should read it this way in fact:

"We're gonna slow the internet for everyone.

You'll be able to pay to think it goes faster, while it's not going faster".

When was the last time someone around here has done a speedtest or checked his modem connectivity?

https://www.inquisitr.com/4724312/the-fcc-thinks-american-broadband-standards-are-too-fast-and-defined-too-aggressively/

The minimum standard broadband providers have to meet will now be 10 megabits per second for download speed and 1 megabit per second for upload speed. This means Americans will, essentially, go back to 2014 when it comes to internet speed.

Broadband availability will be determined based on wireless or wireline service. Broadband availability used to be defined based on wireline service alone. This means wireless service will qualify as broadband. This maneuver will, naturally, reduce the number of Americans who officially lack access to affordable service, at least on paper, but won’t do much to actually improve the situation.

Meanwhile, multiple municipalities in Colorado have voted to start the process of building public broadband networks:

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/08/19-more-colorado-municipalities-vote-for-city-owned-internet-fort-collins-approves-150-million/

In parts of Colorado where this is already running, they are getting 1GB/sec speeds at $50 a month.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

49 Dems and 1 Republican.  Get your **** together, Republican Politicians.  The people are united on this issue, why aren't you on our side?

It's a good example of how much more unified the country is on issues than power hungry politicians that don't give a **** about the citizens of this country. Other examples: CHIP, DACA, Universal Background Checks, Legalizing Marijuana, etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Strange that a conservative state like Montana would be the first.  They are conservative up there, right?

Either way, good on them as long as it isn’t NN Lite which is just another suck off of the telecoms.

Democrat governor who enacted this.

I am almost sure this will be challenged in courts. The FCC ruling was broad enough that it may even prevent measures like this.

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

Democrat governor who enacted this.

I am almost sure this will be challenged in courts. The FCC ruling was broad enough that it may even prevent measures like this.

And with how Trump is stacking the courts I don’t think a court ruling would go in the good guy’s favor.

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

And with how Trump is stacking the courts I don’t think a court ruling would go in the good guy’s favor.

I don’t think it will even require a conservative court to rule in favor of the FCC. 

The FCC has broad federal powers to overrule states on issues like this. 

• Like 1

So basically, a state can't dig and lay their own fiber or copper and create their own internet backbone. Giving fledging ISPs a chance to compete against the big ISP giants, while also setting their own rules within their state to prevent private sector abuse and corruption against their citizens. Right?  #statesrights

11 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

So basically, a state can't dig and lay their own fiber or copper and create their own internet backbone. Giving fledging ISPs a chance to compete against the big ISP giants, while also setting their own rules within their state to prevent private sector abuse and corruption against their citizens. Right?  #statesrights

You may have not have heard, but the 10th amendment was taken behind the woodshed and shot long ago.