Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Radio Blackout of Skins Games

Kal-El

Hey everyone. Last year I moved to Florida (between Tampa & Orlando), and I noticed that about half-way through the season, I could no longer listen to the games on the ESPN radio app or Skins app.  I tried going on to the ESPN 980 website and same thing.  Essentially, the games were blacked out on the radio.  I was listening to the broadcast and about 1 minute before kick-off, the radio went silent.  This occurred for several games, including nationally broadcast games - not just games that were televised in the DC regional market.

So, I've done a bunch of google searches about radio blackout, and there just doesn't seem to be any reason why the games would be blacked out.

Anyone have ideas on why this would be happening and/or resolution for this problem?  I would love to be able to listen to the broadcasts for every game.  Thanks in advance!

Had the same issue, though I'm local.

You have to go through the Redskins App or go to the Redskins web page in order to get the game. The ESPN  980 App and site go into reruns of some show once the game started.

You're right, this started around midseason and I don't think an explanation was ever made.

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, Kal-El said:

Hey everyone. Last year I moved to Florida (between Tampa & Orlando), and I noticed that about half-way through the season, I could no longer listen to the games on the ESPN radio app or Skins app.  I tried going on to the ESPN 980 website and same thing.  Essentially, the games were blacked out on the radio.  I was listening to the broadcast and about 1 minute before kick-off, the radio went silent.  This occurred for several games, including nationally broadcast games - not just games that were televised in the DC regional market.

So, I've done a bunch of google searches about radio blackout, and there just doesn't seem to be any reason why the games would be blacked out.

Anyone have ideas on why this would be happening and/or resolution for this problem?  I would love to be able to listen to the broadcasts for every game.  Thanks in advance!

Had the same problem, I'll try to figure it out.  I am in Florida too and yeah the Redskins app didn't work either in terms of getting the broadcasts

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

They started doing it because they are trying to be slick and get people to download the redskins app. 

Ugh. I was worried that was going to happen. Despite the delay, I enjoyed listening to the hometown broadcast from the 980 website while i was down in N.C.

Really hoping my at-home radio picks up the signal here in Harrisburg better than it did down in Greenville (had a crap signal from the Eastern NC affiliate)

I believe the NFL has blacked out the radio broadcasts outside I think 75 miles of the two teams cities. You have to pay for it now. It's bull****. I am hoping they change it for this year. I travel a lot and it's nice to be able to at least listen to the game until I get home and can watch on NFL replay. When I am out of the country I can actually buy the games on an individual basis.

5 hours ago, SonnyandSam said:

Use Tunein app in the stadium or elsewhere. Works every time. Only issue is the time delay. NFL does not black out radio broadcasts. I live in Harrisburg PA. Never have an issue. 

They started last year and it was posted on the NFL site. Others had the same problem last year. It was done part way through the season. I live in NC and could not get the radio broadcast. I do not trust many apps so I did not try Tunein. I may try it this year. I really hope it works. I got rid of NFL package because it's stupid expensive for what it is.

Regarding the radio broadcast: is the delay something that's only online or is it something you have to deal with over-the-air, too? I've got crummy vision and if I go to a 'Skins game, I really don't wanna have to deal with buying binoculars so I was gonna bring my radio and listen to the broadcast.

12 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Regarding the radio broadcast: is the delay something that's only online or is it something you have to deal with over-the-air, too? I've got crummy vision and if I go to a 'Skins game, I really don't wanna have to deal with buying binoculars so I was gonna bring my radio and listen to the broadcast.

The severe delay is online only. If I remember correctly the over the air delay is only around 5 seconds or so.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, thebluefood said:

If you go to a Skins game you would be in the local over the air market. Just bring a radio. 

On 6/23/2017 at 8:09 PM, Tarpon75 said:

I was able to get the broadcasts on the Tunein radio app on 980.I am in Florida also.

Me too from Florida (Tunein, etc) but not in the 2nd half of the season or thereabouts, the broadcasts happened like the previous years but then all of a sudden they stopped

I had this issue to.  Both the 980 and Redskins app (using Android phone) would not broadcast the game.  I'm in Ravens country so, I'm within the 75 mile radius.  Is there a reason why the Redskins app was unable to broadcast the games?

smithmal

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 9:19 PM, rougeskins said:

I had the same problem with both sites. I live in Rougemont,NC

I live in Raleigh and if nothing has changed for this year AM 750 carries the games. Not sure it reaches all the way up to where you're at though.   The only issue I've had is for the 4:30 games, about halfway through the 2nd half the broadcast goes off.  Not sure why it happens, it seems like they turn the entire station off.

Archived