Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

3 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Even so - I'm already starting to see the storm clouds gathering. If it were just a hard-fought, one goal loss, that would be one thing but the Caps came out of the gate flat and that's concerning. I didn't expect a sweep (as others have mentioned - Tampa Bay's a number one seed and dispatched the Devils and Bruins with haste) and I figured the Caps would split the home stand. 

They just came out so flat and let this game get way out of hand. 

I'm not getting too antsy but if the Lightning tie this series up in D.C., I'm gonna start hearing that creepy music playing underneath the series again. 

They did not come out of the gate flat. They dominated the game 5 on 5 until that failed penalty kill gave TB a boost.

Even then, the first period could've easily been tied or they could've been ahead. Wheels fell off in that 2 minute span in the second.

It was the first "bleh" game of the playoffs and we're 15 games in. Not worried.

Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

They did not come out of the gate flat. They dominated the game 5 on 5 until that failed penalty kill gave TB a boost.

Even then, the first period could've easily been tied or they could've been ahead. Wheels fell off in that 2 minute span in the second.

It was the first "bleh" game of the playoffs and we're 15 games in. Not worried.

If Orpik doesn't whiff on the clearing attempt on the first PP, the entire game changes.  The Caps are a better team 5 on 5.

There is no real such thing as momentum from game to game. Look at the Nashville-Winnipeg series the last round. Winnipeg has a chance to close it at home in Game 6 and get wrecked 4-0. They then go to Nashville Game 7 and win 5-1.

There is no real rhyme or reason to this sport.

Im still feeling positive.  I dont think the Caps can play that bad again, and that's the way I expect Tampa to play going forward.  If both play to their best, it's an even match up.  And we're up a game.

If Im worried about something specific, it's that Holtby looked like complete crap.  Cant have that again.

5 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

If Im worried about something specific, it's that Holtby looked like complete crap.  Cant have that again.

I wouldn't say he looked like crap.  Tampa switched to a high cycle, something they didn't do in the first two games, and it allowed them to keep the puck in our zone a lot longer.  They moved it well left to right and threw it into vacant corners where our guys weren't, which allowed them to draw penalties.

Any goalie is going to struggle against that much zone time.

That's the big adjustment for tomorrow for Trotz and Lambert and crew... they're going to have to figure out how to deal with that or it's probably over.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

If Orpik doesn't whiff on the clearing attempt on the first PP, the entire game changes.  The Caps are a better team 5 on 5.

They were certainly picking on him during every PP trying to get the two on one (or three on one depending on their PP shape).  The Pens could not get passes through the PK box but the Lightning have been patient and have certainly picked Orpik out as the guy to move side to side on (or up and down in this case) before firing across to Stamkos.  It's worked every time that Stamkos has had good wood on the puck.  He chunked one early last night on the PP - right after that Orpik missed the clear, and then that was all she wrote, seemingly. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Here's a positive spin...if somehow the players were getting a little chesty and maybe believing that this was their year, this game would have been exactly what they needed to knock them back down a peg. I doubt that's what happened, but it's a potential silver lining. 

Why would you doubt that?  I think there was certainly an element of that to it.  Up 2-0, coming home, all of a sudden you're Stanley Cup favorites out of nowhere... it had to be a trip.

Win tomorrow night and you're fine.  But it's as massive a game as they've had.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We just got avoid penalties. 5 on 5 we've been much better. 5/7 of their goals have been PP.

Agreed, but to avoid the penalties we're going to have to adjust how we play.  Their 5 on 5 high cycle is causing us to foul them.

Stralman won't even be fined for his hit on Wilson. In fact, "Typically, on plays where a player sees the hitter approaching and turns his back, and the hitting player then attempts to minimize the force — Stralman was considered to have changed his angle to hit the back shoulder — there isn’t supplementary discipline."  So Stralman leaping and changing course to hit Wilson high lessened contact" and makes it a clean hit.

10 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Stralman won't even be fined for his hit on Wilson. In fact, "Typically, on plays where a player sees the hitter approaching and turns his back, and the hitting player then attempts to minimize the force — Stralman was considered to have changed his angle to hit the back shoulder — there isn’t supplementary discipline."  So Stralman leaping and changing course to hit Wilson high lessened contact" and makes it a clean hit.

Wilson is right, he's be facing a suspension right now. 

Hoping for a better outcome tomorrow. 

Qatar was going to pay for the Metro running late on Game 4 but things fell through. And again, I had a really bad experience trying to drive through the city yesterday so I really don't want to go through that again. Rainy weather + rush hour...even driving into the city that is a recipe for mad traffic. 

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Hoping for a better outcome tomorrow. 

Qatar was going to pay for the Metro running late on Game 4 but things fell through. And again, I had a really bad experience trying to drive through the city yesterday so I really don't want to go through that again. Rainy weather + rush hour...even driving into the city that is a recipe for mad traffic. 

Doesn't this seem like a PR dream for someone like Leonsis to pay for? 

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Doesn't this seem like a PR dream for someone like Leonsis to pay for? 

And it's only $100,000, I mean he can certainly afford it... I cant imagine why they arent the ones who should be paying for it to stay open.

7 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

And it's only $100,000, I mean he can certainly afford it... I cant imagine why they arent the ones who should be paying for it to stay open.

First of all, it's an absolute joke that Washington, D.C. doesn't have a metro system that stays open past 11:30 during the week.  There is zero reason Metro isn't open until 1 AM every night (weekends should be 2 AM). NONE. If that were the case. this isn't an issue until many OT games.  That's an extra 90 minutes each weekday, and 2 hours on Sunday.

Second, the city should want to keep Metro open. Get 18k people downtown for eats, a game, and then drinks afterwards.  And it only takes like 5k people to recoup the costs of keeping Metro open the extra hour.  That's a lot of money being spend. Bars would make more money, restaurants would make more money.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

First of all, it's an absolute joke that Washington, D.C. doesn't have a metro system that stays open past 11:30 during the week.  There is zero reason Metro isn't open until 1 AM every night (weekends should be 2 AM). NONE. If that were the case. this isn't an issue until many OT games.  That's an extra 90 minutes each weekday, and 2 hours on Sunday.

Second, the city should want to keep Metro open. Get 18k people downtown for eats, a game, and then drinks afterwards.  And it only takes like 5k people to recoup the costs of keeping Metro open the extra hour.  That's a lot of money being spend. Bars would make more money, restaurants would make more money.

DC isn't exactly known for smart leadership, both at the local and federal levels....

2 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

i still dont get why theyre charging $100k to keep the metro open in the first place. why doesnt the metro just hike up fares (similar to uber surge pricing) to pay for any additional wages, OT, etc, for that extra hour.

27 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

i still dont get why theyre charging $100k to keep the metro open in the first place. why doesnt the metro just hike up fares (similar to uber surge pricing) to pay for any additional wages, OT, etc, for that extra hour.

Any chance the taxi lobby or whatever wants metro closed at the end of these events?  I haven't been to the area and years so maybe that is a dumb question.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Any chance the taxi lobby or whatever wants metro closed at the end of these events?  I haven't been to the area and years so maybe that is a dumb question.

Yeah, not sure either. Could be that. I dont live in the area anymore either. I was just back there about a month ago talking to my Uber driver, and thats when i first learned there even was a taxi lobby. Not sure why they get to hold a monopoly in that city, but i guess thats for another thread..

Its just ridiculous that the city makes it so difficult to get transportation for their biggest entertainment draws. 

Archived