Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Tracker Thread (UPDATED 5/16)

TSO

***UPDATE 5-16**** 

In addition to these guys, LB Nico Marley, CB Tevin Homer and TE Manasseh Garner have officially been signed. 

So that officially makes it 11 total players from among the tryout/undrafted free agent guys. 

Below is the original post that included reported signings and tryout players which can be disregarded now.

The above eleven are official and puts our roster at the 90 limit. 

============================================

Alright, we'll start with a link here to Hog's Haven's excellent work in keeping an up to date tracker: 

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/4/29/15484230/nfl-draft-2017-undrafted-free-agents-udfa-tracker-signings-redskins-rumors

So far this is what they've got: 

Reported Signings:

James Quick, WR, Louisville

Tyler Catalina, OL, Georgia

Zach Pascal, WR, ODU

Ondre Pipkins, DT, Texas Tech

Kyle Kalis, OT, Michigan

Mario Yakoo, G, Boise State

Fish Smithson, S, Kansas

Nico Marley, LB, Tulane

Levern Jacobs, WR, Maryland

Jameel Jackson, DB, Grambling

Cass Weitl, DE, Northwest Missouri State

Verlan Hunter, WR, Grambling

Keep in mind this is subject to change as sometimes a player agrees but then changes his mind. 

Please post whatever videos/articles/tweets/whatever of any of the prospects you can find. Hype the guys you love up for us. :) 

James Quick video....might be a taller Ryan Grant lol...

From NFL.com:

Overview

Quick's father, Rhoniya, played football at Louisville, but James had made his own name as a high school football star. The Associated Press Mr. Football award winner for Kentucky in 2012 caught a touchdown pass in four straight state title games. As a track athlete, he also set a state record in the 200 meters. After learning the ropes as a true freshman in 2013 (6-73 receiving), he became a starter the following year (36-566, three TDs) and contributed as a returner (8-156 kicks; 20-148 punts) even though he was suspended for one game for violating team rules. Quick led the Cardinals in receiving as a junior (39-624, five TDs) and was tops on the squad in receiving yardage in 2016 (45-769, six TDs) on his way to third-team All-ACC honors.

Analysis

Strengths

Can secure inside release for post routes through clever set-up on release. Runs routes with consistent purpose and urgency. Varies speed of route to create man-made "burst" within his trek. Route salesman. Generates distress in cover safeties with route work. Utilizes body lean and believable head fakes to create hip commitment from defenders. Quick getting upfield after catch to maximize the play. Tracks the deep throw and adjusts rapidly to underthrows. Subtle route adjustments in space to avoid redirection from zone linebackers. Cover experience on special teams early in career.

Weaknesses

Small, thin target. Unlikely catch-and-run option on next level. Too small to fight through tackles after catch. Quicker than fast. Has some build-up speed, but might not be fast enough to threaten aggressive corners looking to squat on routes. Stiff hands can be unforgiving. Finished career with 19 drops against 123 catches. Has focus-drop issues but also struggles to finish catches that are outside his frame. Needs to do better job of working aggressively back to throws. Route separation comes through route work over acceleration from breaks.

Bottom Line

Slot corner with average athleticism and quickness and below-average hands. History of drops combined with his thin frame are likely indicators of issues with contested catches on the next level. Will measure shorter than his listed height so he might need a big 40 time to increase his odds of going any earlier than late Day 3 in the draft.

Tyler Catalina OT (#72):

CBS Sports:

Player Overview

A four-year starter, Catalina spent his first three seasons in Rhode Island's spread offense vs. FCS-level competition before transitioning to a pro-style offense in the SEC at Georgia this past season -- had offers from several SEC programs for his final season of eligibility. He started all 13 games at left tackle for the Bulldogs in 2016, filling a large need for the offense, but it was an up-and-down year as the speed of the SEC exposed several of his deficiencies at tackle. Catalina struggles with balance and technique when forced to block in space and the move inside should help his consistency with less real estate to cover. Although his issues in pass protection are tough to overlook, Catalina has the heavy hands and finishing toughness for the next level and coaches will try and develop the rest -- guard-only prospect who is worth a late round pick or priority free agent.

Strengths Weaknesses

STRENGTHS: Square-framed, filled-out body type. Generates a surge in the run game with his core power and heavy hands. Runs his feet at contact and loads up all his momentum to move defenders. Aggressive, second effort blocker and fights through the whistle. Strong punch and can win the hand battle when he stays square and keeps his elbows inside. Able to wall off and seal gaps when uses proper angles. Worked hard to learn new playbook and win starting left tackle job at Georgia in a short time period. Voted a team captain as a junior at Rhode Island. Finishes his collegiate career with 46 career starts.

WEAKNESSES: Not a natural knee-bender, leading to inconsistent contact balance and pad level. Flat, heavy feet in his shuffle, struggling to mirror moving targets. Chaotic technique leads to body control issues in his kickslide. Wide hands and high hips in pass-sets. Short arms, limiting his ability to down block and reach defenders in the gap. Late to react to counters and tardiness leads to holding calls. Doesn't play with his feet beneath him, lunging forward and ending up on the ground. Only one season of FBS-level experience and often looked out-matched at left tackle vs. SEC competition. Wore down as a senior, missing time with a lower leg injury (Nov. 2016). Older prospect and will be a 24-year old NFL rookie. Only played tackle in his career and doesn't have interior line experience.

19 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Another Quick wideout...:kickcan:

Read elsewhere we have 86 under contract already so most UDFA are pure tryouts right now. Will need to cut some to add more than 4 or so.

Wow 86 quick wideouts under contract or was that 86 wideouts named Quick?;-)

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thanks for starting this subs. We'll all appreciate the hard work of keeping it up to date with the changes. :D

You think I didn't know that's why no one wanted to start this thing? Aholes. :ols: 

I think the FO is brilliant in bringing in two WRs with the last name "Quick" in this offseason. It's an innovative strategy in replacing DJax. Total outside-the-box stuff.  

I'll see myself out.  

10 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I think the FO is brilliant in bringing in two WRs with the last name "Quick" in this offseason. It's an innovative strategy in replacing DJax. Total outside-the-box stuff.  

I'll see myself out.  

Just need to sign Dave and Cecil Surehands and we'll be mint.

Zach Pascal:

NFL.com:

Strengths

Showed consistent growth and production as a player. Took on a high percentage of offensive touches as both a receiver and a runner. Routes feature a sharp stick-and-stem at his break to create a quick throwing window for quarterbacks. Hands-catcher who snatches it away from his body unless he needs to secure in traffic. Good awareness to drop feet in bounds near sideline. On deep balls, has a good feel for where defensive backs are and will stack them on his hip and hold them there while he prepares to make the catch. High-point deep ball skills with ability to create some late separation with his body.

Weaknesses

Plays with a duck-footed running style. Long strider off the line of scrimmage. Could struggle to find the foot quickness necessary to shake free of press coverage. Needs a long runway to build up his play speed. Is a little slow getting in and out of his breaks. Lacking the route sharpness to uncover against NFL-caliber cornerbacks. Level of competition did not prepare him for the athletes and speed he will be facing on Sunday.

Bottom Line

Three-year starter whose consistency of production was on one of the catalysts behind Old Dominion's successful 2016. Pascal has decent size and ball skills but his routes and separation are just okay. His combine workout could go a long way in determining whether or not he gets drafted. He's returned kicks at Old Dominion so that could be a side door into an early roster spot.

Um...Ondre Pipkins:

07/20/15 - Michigan DL Pipkins says he was pressured to retire...Michigan defensive lineman Ondre Pipkins felt pressured by coach Jim Harbaugh and school staff members during a two-month period to take a medical redshirt that would have ended his college football career. Pipkins told ESPN that Harbaugh, head athletic trainer Paul Schmidt and associate athletic director Jim Minick came to him about 10 times and said it would be in his best interest to retire form college football because of a knee injury. "Schmidt told me, 'Call it quits. Hang it up.' He said, 'You've had a good run,'" Pipkins said. Pipkins played last season for the Wolverines after recovering from a torn ACL. "I feel I'm healthy and ready to play," Pipkins said. "I don't want to sign the form. I wanted to play for my seniors and for the team. Coach Harbaugh said, 'I recommend you take the medical.'" "College football is a business. New coaches have to win games. They want to go with guys they think can win. If I'm a victim of making room, so be it. But if there is no concrete reason to disqualify a player, he should have the right to keep playing." In a statement issued to ESPN on Friday, Harbaugh said, "After consulting with our medical team, we do not think it is in Ondre's best interest as it relates to his health and welfare to play football, short or long term. - The Sports Xchange

Here's one with Schmorky interviewing Ondre lol...

I don't really get that whole situation. So if I'm attributing the quotes correctly, is Pipkin basically implying that he doesn't think his injury was that bad, and that Harbaugh and Co. were trying to get him to retire because he was the last coaching staff's recruit and they needed his scholarship for their own guy?

13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't really get that whole situation. So if I'm attributing the quotes correctly, is Pipkin basically implying that he doesn't think his injury was that bad, and that Harbaugh and Co. were trying to get him to retire because he was the last coaching staff's recruit and they needed his scholarship for their own guy?

Thats how I read it. 

I've got a friend who was a tackle in a Div 2 school. He blew out his ACL his junior year and would not have been able to play his senior year. He was asked by a coach to quit school (and therefore not graduate) so they could get his scholarship back. It's a crappy business. He told them to eff off.

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Thats how I read it. 

I've got a friend who was a tackle in a Div 2 school. He blew out his ACL his junior year and would not have been able to play his senior year. He was asked by a coach to quit school (and therefore not graduate) so they could get his scholarship back. It's a crappy business. He told them to eff off.

Damn.

Kyle Kalis (#67):

And highlights of his gee-tar playing lol...

NFL.com:

Strengths

Well-schooled in technique and works hard to play with good fundamentals. Hands in punch-ready position in pass sets. Looks to control defender's shoulder with his hands and generally lands an accurate strike. Operates with sturdy base and good balance. Utilizes flat-backed posture through his pass sets. Understands his assignments and follows them against blitzes and twists. Maintains desired base and posture throughout most pass sets. Has enough natural strength to withstand a strong bull-rusher.

Weaknesses

Might be playing with a base that is too wide. Wide base and upright pad level generates very little push as a drive blocker. Stiff throughout his lower body and operates with pounding, heavy feet. Pops straight up and takes restricted slow steps when pulling or when climbing to second level. Successful cut-off blocks on the second level will be a rarity in the pros. Forced to lean and lunge to try and redirect gap shooters due to slow feet. Must play in a phone booth rather than in space.

Draft Projection

Round 7-PFA

Bottom Line

Good size and length and is a smart guard with above average technique. However, his leg stiffness and lack of functional athleticism will be extremely challenging to overcome. At best he has a shot at being drafted late on Day 3, and will almost certainly find his way into an NFL training camp at worst.

i love taking a chance on pipkins in this slot...was very highly regarded coming out of high school, and obviously had a crazy turn in his college career

has great size, but will be interesting to see if anything can translate at the NFL level

i'll keep telling myself damon harrison was also an UDFA

A little surprised Smithson didnt get drafted. The guy is a tackling machine. He led the NCAA in 2015 in solo tackles per game. I will not be shocked if he makes the 53 actually.

"Ever heard of Anthony "Fish" Smithson? No? Well, then I have a surprise for you. Fish Smithson is going to be one of the biggest steals of this draft. The three-year Kansas Jayhawk Safety finished his last season with career totals of 253 total tackles with 193 of them being solo, six and a half tackles for a loss, a sack, six interceptions, 10 pass-breakups, two fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles. Smithson, has been able to play in the box and excellent at times in coverage. In 2015 he led the NCAA in 7.9 solo tackles per game. Many draft analysts brush this guy off like he's nothing, but they did the same with former KU star-CB Chris Harris Jr. and he burned every single one of them."

https://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2017/01/19/The-Rams-could-be-looking-at-the-steal-of-the-draft-in-Kansas-FS-Fish-Smithson

Anyone know what happened or who picked up Michal Clark out of Marshall WR? He kinda intrigued me at 6'7" and 212 lbs. Kinda hoping the skins would give him a try out. 

or Ricky Seals-Jones WR out of Texas A&M? He is 6'5" and 243 lbs. 

The only guy I was really looking at, since our FO decided to not draft a NT AGAIN was getting Rashaad Coward as a UDFA. But Chicago has already picked him up. Because they are not ****ing morons like our FO is. And If I sounds somewhat negative, I don't give a ****.

When you decide to switch to a 3-4, you need a NT. If you're not going to bother with a NT, don't ****ing waste everyone's time by switching to a 3-4, just keep the 4-3 and carry one.

Generally speaking, I was happy with the draft. Generally speaking I was happy with FA. But whenever I hear Gruden answer the "elephant in the room question" about "Why have you done nothing about getting a NT?" and he goes on about Mbu and Francis and Taylor? I want to brain him with a crowbar, cover the wound in honey, and then unleash 10 million arm ants on him. It makes me wonder if when it comes to the defensive side of the ball, it he really isn't any more qualified to talk about it than say, a 8 year old kid that like chemistry. It's like he's completely oblivious.

Right now, our ONLY hope is that Phil Taylor can be somewhat healthy and play to a shell of his former self. Otherwise, it's probably going to be Ziggy Hood. And Gruden with be smiling about it. Because we will not go after a UDFA (and like that would but such a talent influx anyway) and we will not go after a UFA (even if he's 30 and cheap as ****). Because they don't give a **** about the position. And as someone that gives more than 2 ****s about the defensive side of the ball, it it infuriating. I didn't even play defense in college (did in high school) and I still value it more than he does.

34 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

The only guy I was really looking at, since our FO decided to not draft a NT AGAIN was getting Rashaad Coward as a UDFA. But Chicago has already picked him up. Because they are not ****ing morons like our FO is. And If I sounds somewhat negative, I don't give a ****.

Either the Bears know something no one else in the league knows, or that draft just got a lot of people fired only they don’t know it yet,” another exec told La Canfora.

Buuuut, they did sign that undrafted free agent Coward, so all's good. *thumbsup*

Archived