Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

Mueller behind closed doors is horse ****. He did the report and the American people need to hear directly from him. Reading a transcript does no good. 

Yea that defeats the entire purpose. You cant convince anyone anymore. They all know whats up now and they know exactly what they are doing. Hearing it from the man himself changes nothing unless he says it publically. 

Edited by Llevron

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Actually on second thought it's not so much base empowerment but the middle ground folks that are honestly not that concerned about whether or not the president is a criminal.

Dems win when they dictate messaging around the economy, around minimum wage, around policies that help people. Doing anything to distract from that only hurts your chances with the 10% or so of the electorate who legitimately could go either way. 

Roughly 10% of Trump voters voted for Obama in either 08 or 12.  These voters are Trump's shakiest supporters. They're the ones that are likely to say they disapprove of Trump (currently at 41.5% approval rating). We've seen profiles of them... they aren't particularly high information voters. Maybe they thought Trump would strike trade deals would help them in Ohio or PA or MI. Maybe they beleived his rhetoric that he was going to "Make America Great Again." Maybe they just REALLY didn't trust Hillary Clinton. Regardless, *this* is the kind of voter you need to be wary of disillusioning with impeachment. If this handful of people views Democrats as just trying to obstruct Trump because their focus is on removing him rather than solving issues, you're setting Trump up for more success in 2020 than he should have. 

Personally, I understand that the only way to get rid of Trump is to win the election. So I share Pelosi's hesitation about launching what would amount to largely symbolic impeachment proceedings. I'm scared to death that we end up with 4 more years of Trump and I don't want Dems to do *anything* to upset the current balance, which is that Trump is extremely unpopular and primed to lose next year. 

But not impeaching risks alienating or demotivating a whole nether part of the electorate

50 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But not impeaching risks alienating or demotivating a whole nether part of the electorate

I don’t think so. People who dislike Trump enough to want to impeach him are absolutely going to show up to vote against him. 

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I don’t think so. People who dislike Trump enough to want to impeach him are absolutely going to show up to vote against him. 

I know at least one person that seeing the Dems inability to do what needs to be done is killing the motivation to go vote Dem.

It's cute how the media portrays not all Democrats as one autonomous voice as being a bad thing.  

Here's a question I am not sure has been posed: Does impeaching Trump give a portion of the (D) base a feeling of victory that will have them less motivated to turn out in 2020?  Is Trump being who he is, right now, the single biggest motivating factor for establishment Dems and the justice Dems to unite and try to vote them out.   Does Joe Biden immediately become a less popular option without Trump to run against?

Edited by NoCalMike

19 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Dems know they have about a 65% chance of removing Trump from office by defeating him in an election. 

Do you think, right now, there's a 65 percent chance the Democratic nominee for president beats Trump in 2020?  

I'd agree that the Dems are the favorite to win the popular vote, but Trump will win the electoral college again. 

Edited by hail2skins

25 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Do you think, right now, there's a 65 percent chance the Democratic nominee for president beats Trump in 2020?  

I'd agree that the Dems are the favorite to win the popular vote, but Trump will win the electoral college again. 

Yeah 65-35 sounds about right just because it's really early. Final polling for 2016 put the odds at like 70-30 and Trump ran the table in 3 states by less than 80k votes total. Trump is one of the weakest incumbents we've ever had.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

What if I told Trump won the popular vote in 30 states?

Is that not the popular vote? 

:unsure:

• Confused 1

I understand the "Let's just focus on beating Trump in 2020" sentiment, however if the Dems truly believe impeachable offenses have occurred (or are just waiting on Mueller & McGahn to testify in order to confirm or deny) then the question becomes, why should Trump be afforded the opportunity to run again?  

• Thanks 2