Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

9 minutes ago, techboy said:

Honestly, I've always thought the Founding Fathers probably weren't justified in starting a war*, so maybe that's not a great comparison anyway.

*Please don't report me to the RNC. Thanks.

-Wealthy tea importers started the violence against Britain after being undercut by the East India Company. 

-wealthy slave owners started the secession movement protect their right to own other human beings

Sensing a pattern?

-Now? Wealthy individuals are perfectly content with the grasp they have on power in the US. Good thing Hillary didn't win though, otherwise the billionaire-financed Tea Party circa 2009 might indeed have taken up arms 

There is a serious lack of perspective taking place if people want to have a discussion about taking up arms. America, despite our issues, still has relatively few problems compared to many places in the world and, fortunately, we have people striving to help those in need. The society would have to degrade to a massive extent and we are no where near that. 

This isn't to say there aren't big problems within the country and there are pockets of people really hurting, but there isn't some government oppression or corporate oppression currently going on. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

but there isn't some government oppression or corporate oppression currently going on. 

That's not really true. We've historically been a lot more subtle about it than your average third world country, but make no mistake that the erosion of our democracy  has definitely been occurring and continues at an increasing rate. Nobody outside of America views us as some flawless beacon of hope anymore. We decided to give up that status a long time ago. 

I should note that I am *not* making a pro-armed resistance argument.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

That's not really true. We've historically been a lot more subtle about it than your average third world country, but make no mistake that the erosion of our democracy  has definitely been occurring and continues at an increasing rate. Nobody outside of America views us as some flawless beacon of hope anymore. We decided to give up that status a long time ago. 

I should note that I am *not* making a pro-armed resistance argument.

And currently courts are forcing some states to redraw maps that were drawn based on race. There is a HUGE case going in front of the Supreme Court that will decide if it's okay to gerrymander based on party affiliation. Now if they Supreme Court rules that it is okay with a 5-4 split, I will agree with your assertion. If the Supreme Court wants to dramatically impact this country for good, they will say it's illegal. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

And currently courts are forcing some states to redraw maps that were drawn based on race. There is a HUGE case going in front of the Supreme Court that will decide if it's okay to gerrymander based on party affiliation. Now if they Supreme Court rules that it is okay with a 5-4 split, I will agree with your assertion. If the Supreme Court wants to dramatically impact this country for good, they will say it's illegal. 

Worth also pointing out that said hypothetical 5-4 decision will be made possible by the Senate deciding to adopt the power of judicial blockading after 200+ years of precedence against that. 

10 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Worth also pointing out that said hypothetical 5-4 decision will be made possible by the Senate deciding to adopt the power of judicial blockading after 200+ years of precedence against that. 

100% agree. Unfortunately a large part of America thought it was okay. People need to feel the impact of their decisions financially and on their own wellbeing before we see real change. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

How so?

There are many instances of blocking judicial nominations,both recent and long ago.

18 minutes ago, twa said:

How so?

There are many instances of blocking judicial nominations,both recent and long ago.

The Senate has never refused to hold a hearing for a SCOTUS appointment, certainly not for the specific purpose of denying the current president the appointment. 

But you know that, you aren't dumb you're just hardheaded. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Hersh said:

100% agree. Unfortunately a large part of America thought it was okay. People need to feel the impact of their decisions financially and on their own wellbeing before we see real change. 

Why I'm borderline in support of (depending on my mood) the current health care bill passing. I will lose my health insurance. It will hurt me immensely. But I live in the DC metro area. I have options. I can probably figure something out.

On the flipside, that bill is going to demolish the GOP's rural base. And they deserve it. It's about time they get what they paid/voted for. I want them to suffer. I want them to finally realize that daddy doesn't love them. I see no other way for them to break free and grow the **** up. 

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The Senate has never refused to hold a hearing for a SCOTUS appointment, certainly not for the specific purpose of denying the current president the appointment. 

But you know that, you aren't dumb you're just hardheaded. 

I was wondering more how it relates to the case.

Different tactics with the same results on the nominations....some simply wasted more time and money.

2 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Of that 45%, I would bet 100% of them don't watch news. 

Yes, they do.  

They just don't watch the fake news.  (Which, as we all know, is defined as "places that say things I don;t want to hear")  

I think at this point it is practically impossible to shake that base, no matter how badly they get their heads beat in by the policies they're voting for. 

They will ALWAYS blame the democrats and swallow every single excuse spoon-fed to them as to why. 

Trump could come into their house and **** in their only can of wax beans, and so long as he told them Obama's policies made him do it and his propaganda parrots it, they will accept it.

It's not about politics for these people anymore. I truly think we've boiled away the veneer and put a number on just how many 

overtly racist bigots and hopelessly ignorant morons exist in this country, and it's about 30-35% of us.

There is no way in hell anyone with the slightest bit of sense could continue to defend blindly at this point. It's not a matter of "letting him do his job", which as time wears on and he proves to be more embarrassingly inept and ineffective will be the rallying cry, regardless of the facts that keep coming out about this administrations incredibly shady dealings with this country's deepest enemy.

the piss tape could be released during the coin toss of the cowboys first game (because you know they will ALL be watching), he could wipe his ass with the flag while singing "Jesus is a big fat homo" in russian...  and it wouldn't matter.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Bang said:

I truly think we've boiled away the veneer and put a number on just how many 

overtly racist bigots and hopelessly ignorant morons exist in this country, and it's about 30-35% of us.

the piss tape could be released during the coin toss of the cowboys first game (because you know they will ALL be watching)

~Bang

Ya know, I think that 30-35% figure is applicable across all populations in all countries in all eras.  It's just the nature of humanity.  Fortunately, about 95% of the time they splinter and fight amongst themselves, cause they're morons, are their effect on society is marginalized.  But every now and then, when conditions are just right, they bloom...like red algae.  And we gotta drop everything we're doing and start cleaning up.  Just a thought...

Tip of the cap to the Cowboys snark.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

And we gotta drop everything we're doing and start cleaning up.  Just a thought...

This can't be said enough. The "everyone stay calm", stay medium crowd is ****ing killing me. I can't figure out if they just aren't aware of what's going on, or if they think it's business as usual or if they figure it'll take care of itself? It's maddening to watch though. Especially when they start in with their high-horse lecturing. Oh God...the lecturing. Just kill me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bang said:

I truly think we've boiled away the veneer and put a number on just how many overtly racist bigots and hopelessly ignorant morons exist in this country, and it's about 30-35% of us.

Please don't refer to overtly racist bigots and hopelessly ignorant morons as "us". You weren't invited. Sorry.

Also wanted to add that any fantasies about taking up arms against Trump are pretty dumb. Whoever it was that suggested eating him... that's a much better idea.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

17 minutes ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

This can't be said enough. The "everyone stay calm", stay medium crowd is ****ing killing me. I can't figure out if they just aren't aware of what's going on, or if they think it's business as usual or if they figure it'll take care of itself? It's maddening to watch though. Especially when they start in with their high-horse lecturing. Oh God...the lecturing. Just kill me. 

Friend, either you're closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated by the presence of a pool table in your community .