Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

You also refuse to admit when he brings the team back in big games. He has 7 4th quarter comebacks in 2 years. And it was have been 9 if the defense didn't give away  the one in Detroit and we don't miss a chipshot field goal. But you see what you want to see, which is a guy that is blind in one eye and colorblind in the other. ;)

Best QB we've had in decades, and you want to give him up for someone that will be more likely the next Ryan Leaf than a pro bowler, which is what we have now. Thanks, but no thanks. :P

To piggyback off your point, IIRC when I looked at game logs, the team put Kirk in a situation of needing a tie or go-ahead score in the 4th 12 out of 16 games, and in 9 he did it. The team was 11th in points with a below average run game, and the D was near the bottom, so it's justfied to say the team put Kirk in the situation. 

I first brought this up not long after the last game of the season. While the INT wasn't the right decision, the law of averages meant Kirk and the pass game were going to falter eventually because of how many times he kept getting put in the 4th quarter comeback situation. If it wasn't then, it likely would have been round 1 of the playoffs. 

If Pryor and Doctson step up and Perine wins the starting job, the offense could be the best it's ever been under Kirk.

A player's rep is so narrative driven. And so many fans scrutinize their own QB and basically just watch highlights or the occassional full game of others.

Kirk was seen as RG3's backup. Then he got benched -- too quickly Gruden tells folks now -- when he did get his shot. His breakout year was seen as a fluke by some. Then he did it again and people still are doubting him. They just don't want to admit that he is a lot better than they were told he was.

Then you have Andrew Luck, who I love, but has gotten more benefit of the doubt than any QB in recent history. He gets all the credit when he's good and none of the blame when he's bad -- and he's been downright awful in some games. 

Hell, Carson Wentz is talked about like a sure-fire franchise QB right now. When the truth is he got off to a great start and then looked mediocre the rest of the season. I have big big questions about him after watching every Eagles game.

It's hard to change people's perception -- especially when most just watch highlights.  And the franchise tag just makes it harder for Kirk -- every game seems to be a referendum on him. It's absurd.

I'd say Kirk is top 10 to 15 right now. That's no small thing when only 15 abs probably give you a chance to win on a regular basis -- there is nothing harder than playing NFL QB. And Kirk has proved it under crazy pressure in a circus of a football town. I could see him in the elite conversation easily this season.

But some fans and owners are always looking for the shiny new toy that looks so good in highlight packages. 

9 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

They better re-sign Kirk soon because the pitchforks are coming back out over the FO restructure news.

Agreed.  You don't pay Morgan Moses what you paid him in a LTD and not pay KC what he's due.  It would be nonsense but I can see this happening. 

2 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Disagree ... most of Kirk's yardage was between the 20's ... 

..................are you......aware...of.......the dimensions of a football field?

Surely this was posed in jest.  100% of QBs in NFL history have had most of their yardage between the 20s...

9 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

I hope you are right ... I would like nothing better than to see Kirk win some "big" games ... an elite quality that surpasses "garbage yardage" statistics.

Based on the recent past (seeTAG), Kirk is being paid very well for not passing this litmus test thus far.  

Skins are smart to hedge IMO.

Hey look ... if he comes out of his shell and takes the Team deep into the playoffs this year a la Matt Ryan ... I'll be among the first to anoint him.

Until then I'm still from Mizoo.

And what role, in your mind, does our below average to historically bad (in some things among others) defense have to play in all of this? 

In comparison, what role has the relative defense played for these supposed "elite" QBs who've won all these "big games". 

Or are you not interested in providing any support to your opinion because you don't want to "argue or win a debating contest", even though you keep arguing and debating? :ols: 

Hey, you better not respond to this and provide any support for your opinion. I don't want you "converting" me to your POV. :P

6 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Pretty low bar Blade ... sorry not enough to make him elite.

He just has got to win a "big game" more often and become a winner.

Right now he is just an overpaid loser.

Overpaid loser?

Without him, we're the Cleveland Browns. You need to get back on your meds,

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Overpaid loser?

Without him, we're the Cleveland Browns. 

This is the operative point for me.  Our defense and special teams stink.  Maybe they will improve this year but for the moment we are stuck with last season's memories.  The running game is mediocre.  This isn't the Seahawks. :)

This whole team rides on the back of Kirk and the passing game.   You take Kirk out of the equation and IMO we are likely back to being the team who is in the perennial basement of the NFC East.  And we got people actually arguing to go back to those days or at the very least lets test to see if that happens again.  To each their own but IMO its absurd.

If Bruce blows this, IMO he is likely going to be an even worse punchline than Vinny when we talk about this franchise being loserville. 

I am not in the industry, but I would think the front office, this week, is creating first drafts of contracts for all of our draft class.  Most of those should be pretty boiler plate, so it isn't that hard.  But, there are 10 picks and each contract requires some face time with the player's agent.  Coaches are gearing up for rookie practice that I think is at the end of next week.  So, along with this work, I would think now is the beginning of the front office (FO) push to get Kirk signed. 

If I had to bet, I would be betting that our FO has been in contact with Kirk's agent since the draft.  I would bet that the FO is deciding how to SLOWLY up their offer so that within about 4 weeks, they are close to their best and final offer.  For us, it is probably best if we don't hear any rumors on the Kirk contract.  But, to me, it is clear that they will be working on it from now until July 15 or when Kirk signs which ever comes first.

44 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

I am not in the industry, but I would think the front office, this week, is creating first drafts of contracts for all of our draft class.  Most of those should be pretty boiler plate, so it isn't that hard.  But, there are 10 picks and each contract requires some face time with the player's agent.  Coaches are gearing up for rookie practice that I think is at the end of next week.  So, along with this work, I would think now is the beginning of the front office (FO) push to get Kirk signed. 

If I had to bet, I would be betting that our FO has been in contact with Kirk's agent since the draft.  I would bet that the FO is deciding how to SLOWLY up their offer so that within about 4 weeks, they are close to their best and final offer.  For us, it is probably best if we don't hear any rumors on the Kirk contract.  But, to me, it is clear that they will be working on it from now until July 15 or when Kirk signs which ever comes first.

Yeah, that makes sense imo...as fans we sometimes act as if these negotiations are little more than a GM and an agent sitting across from one another at a table, and one guy slides a folded napkin across the table with a figure written on it, and the other guy slowly opens it without saying a word lol...

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

... Without him, we're the Cleveland Browns. 

Nonsense ... last year McCoy might have done better than Kirk with all those weapons.

Who knows what would have happened.

Only those with hubris and self-righteous pomposity presumes to know.

2 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Nonsense ... last year McCoy might have done better than Kirk with all those weapons.

And you wonder why no one takes you seriously. But you're always going off about how you know everything. Oh, the irony.

Colt McCoy?:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

I don't know what I know or don't know.

My opinion is a certain underachieving Redskins QB is being grossly overpaid. 

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. And I can laugh my ass off for you even mentioning Colt McCoy in the same sentence. :cheers:

26 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Blade ... that's the first intelligent thought youve had all day.

Most would disagree on that point. But then, I've also had major neck surgery this week and I'm on serious pain killers, not to mention having to make a emergency run back to Annapolis yesterday due to me having excessive bleeding and drainage.

What's your excuse?

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

You know things are bad when you're losing an argument to an angry, gun-toting, milkshake.

Who is drugged up something fierce! :lol:

We need a couple more options, I would have "loved" that post Tsailand!

3 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

*spits out drink*

Man, when a man wants to dig himself a hole, he just keeps digging...

4 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

You presume to know that Kirk Cousins can't be an above average quarterback.

9 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Most would disagree on that point. But then, I've also had major neck surgery this week and I'm on serious pain killers, not to mention having to make a emergency run back to Annapolis yesterday due to me having excessive bleeding and drainage.

What's your excuse?

Geeez ...sorry to hear about your medical challenge ... hope your recovery is fast and furious!

You must know a lot of the stuff that flies around ES is just good-natured joshing.  

We are all Bros under the Skin ... never forget that!

Hail!

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Man, when a man wants to dig himself a hole, he just keeps digging...

Yea ... its tough digging around here when you are wading in so much BS.

5 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

You presume to know that Kirk Cousins can't be an above average quarterback.

No Tarp ... I presume to know nada.  

I just watch the games, root for the Skins and draw my own conclusions ... just like the rest of yous.

And watching Kirk struggle game after game against the Gints and Cows drives me crazy! 

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Please Allen sign Cousin's to a LTD asap, then I don't have to listen to anymore nonsense from Greggpeck99.

HTTR 

You have something better to do?

Archived