Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

Just now, MattFancy said:

Perfect! Sounds crazy, but what about Rex Ryan? His defenses have always been solid. Just not sure his personality would mesh with Jay.

I don't think that would be a good idea.  Rex has a big ego and would be concerned he would run his mouth to much and overshadow Jay.  Of course, if he was willing to be just the DC, maybe it could work.

1 minute ago, MattFancy said:

Perfect! Sounds crazy, but what about Rex Ryan? His defenses have always been solid. Just not sure his personality would mesh with Jay.

I'd be avoiding Rex like the plague tbh! Too big a personality and an overrated track record. Guaranteed to end in disaster. He's better off going for a TV job. 

Just now, Rskins06 said:

I don't think that would be a good idea.  Rex has a big ego and would be concerned he would run his mouth to much and overshadow Jay.  Of course, if he was willing to be just the DC, maybe it could work.

Admittedly, I'm not sure it's a great idea either. But, he does have a good defensive mind.

Just now, MattFancy said:

Admittedly, I'm not sure it's a great idea either. But, he does have a good defensive mind.

He does.  All that being said, he would be FAR better than both our previous DCs. 

Gus Bradley would have to be tops on that list.  Look at what he did with Seattle before leaving.

This is great news.  But I'm holding my enthusiasm until I hear some solid names being brought in for an interview.  Not sure if Jay can risk going with an unproven guy.  I'm thinking he picks an experienced defensive mind with a history of being on winning teams.

5 minutes ago, drowland said:

Not sure Jay would want Wade.  Wade's kinda been the kiss of death to the coaches he's worked under.  He's been an interim HC 3 times.

I like Vrabel and Bradley.  No to Rex.

Wade also just won his last HC a Superbowl.  Jay is in year 3 of a 5 year deal.  It's sink or swim time for him.  Wade could be his lifevest.  

We need a staff who can address Normans penalty issue. If he does not lead the league this year we are playing this weekend.

Most-penalized player

Washington cornerback Josh Norman was penalized 19 times, including instances that were declined or offset, to lead the NFL field in 2016. Five of those fouls came in a Week 8 tie with the Bengals, after which Norman criticized field judge Brad Freeman. The NFL fined him $25,000 for his remarks.

Norman seemed to make peace with his plight at that point, and he was called for only six additional penalties the remainder of the season. His season tally included six penalties for illegal use of hands, three apiece for pass interference and offsides, and two apiece for unnecessary roughness, unsportsmanlike conduct and defensive holding.

Runners-up in penalty total were offensive linemen Greg Robinson of the Los Angeles Rams and Mike Remmers in Carolina, each of whom were flagged 15 times.

-Kevin Seifert ESPN

I'd love Wade Phillips, but I'd rather go to the 4-3....Sounds like Gruden passed him over last time....does Wade really want to say yes now?

Who else is out there that's proven?    I don't think I want Greggg back here.     Rex Ryan?   I don't think Jay wants someone to overshadow him.

Eric Mangini?

Just now, Rskins06 said:

He does.  All that being said, he would be FAR better than both our previous DCs. 

Gus Bradley would have to be tops on that list.  Look at what he did with Seattle before leaving.

Not too high on Gus Bradley.  I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that Pete Carroll was really the mastermind behind Seattle's defense when Gus was there.  Gus just happened to be DC at the time, so he got most of the credit.  Also, Seattle's D improved after Dan Quinn took over (Bradley left to coach Jags).  Dan Quinn now has Falcons in the playoffs and Bradley was fired recently after posting the worst winning percentage of any HC in NFL history.  I have serious doubts that Bradley would be a huge upgrade from Barry.

Archived