Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Psst...Dustin Hopkins has not been good as of late...

RonArtest15

We as fans need to stop having knee jerk reactions.  We cut Gano for Billy Cundiff...who we cut mid-season in 2012.  We then got Forbath who we then cut for Hopkins I believe two years ago.  Prior to that, we had the likes of Shaun Suisham and Nick Novak.  All of those guys (except for Cundiff who I'm not sure of) went on to play for other teams with success and many are still playing.  

Hopkins has been our best kicker in quite some time going back to Eddie Murray and Chip Lohmiller.  He also can pretty much control if he kicks for a touchback or downs it inside the 5, which is why we signed him in the first place.  Overall, he's been pretty accurate on field goals.  You take out two questionable calls to kick long field goals and his stats look much better.  

7 hours ago, Mr. S said:

Hopkins has been our best kicker in quite some time going back to Eddie Murray

Eddie Murray kicked for us in two different seasons - 1995 and 2000 (39 years old and 44 years old, respectively).  He was 35 for 48 total and only 10 for 19 on attempts of 40 yards or more.  He was very terrible for us.  

I seem to remember him attempting a 45 yarder for a game winner for us that came up short in one of those seasons?  Not 100% positive. 

2 hours ago, s0crates said:

Kickers are like golfers or hitters in baseball, they can be a bit streaky, and sometimes they have slumps. I'm a believer in exercising patience and giving a good player a chance to play through a slump.

It was interesting also after the London game that Dustin's teammates were really sorry for him because they know the work he puts in and didn't really wanted to throw him under the bus...

That should be telling to us as well.

2 hours ago, CBass1724 said:

Eddie Murray kicked for us in two different seasons - 1995 and 2000 (39 years old and 44 years old, respectively).  He was 35 for 48 total and only 10 for 19 on attempts of 40 yards or more.  He was very terrible for us.  

I seem to remember him attempting a 45 yarder for a game winner for us that came up short in one of those seasons?  Not 100% positive. 

2000 - the game that got Norv fired against the Giants. We lost 9-7. Murray told Norv that he couldn't make the FG from whatever distance it was but he was sent out there anyway. The L dropped the Skins to 7-6...

Hopkins needs to stay. There are about two kickers that are "automatic" so it seems that we should live through this slump given Hopkins strong leg. 

Nobody is saying replace him and nobody is saying he's not a solid kicker, what people are saying is that's he's been inconsistent lately, not great on the road and a worry recently when he lines up.  No reason he should go but bringing in competition to get his head back on straight and light a little fire isn't a bad thing.  I love the guy and am sure he will be the automatic kicker he's been but, again, hasn't been the greatest year for him.

and yes, he's leading in fgm but when you also lead in fga it's really irrelevant and just pulling at strings to compensate for the lower % he's had this year and yes that number would be better if you take out a few attempts that were 55+ but other kickers have that same push just at or outside their limit that they get dinged for

7 hours ago, steve09ru said:

Nobody is saying replace him and nobody is saying he's not a solid kicker, what people are saying is that's he's been inconsistent lately, 

Go back and read through the thread there were at  least 3 people who said to cut him now....and they were serious

2 hours ago, Xameil said:

Go back and read through the thread there were at  least 3 people who said to cut him now....and they were serious

1 said to bring in kickers this week and 1 said competition in offseason.  Reading back through it all everyone likes Hopkins but said he could be doing better this year

A brief message from the grammar police.

Hopkins' miss does not make one nauseous; it makes one nauseated.

Nauseous means nauseating. Gases can be nauseous, but people are not (unless they haven't showered in months resulting in nauseous body odors).

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

27 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Nauseous means nauseating. Gases can be nauseous, but people are not (unless they haven't showered in months resulting in nauseous body odors).

So the nauseous fart made people nauseated?

43 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

A brief message from Internal Affairs division of Grammar Police:

The possessive of "Hopkins" would be "Hopkins's."  There would be no "S" following the apostrophe only if you were referring to something possessed by multiple of "Hopkin" in that instance.

Bonus:  Pluralizing his name would make it "Hopkinses."

Excellent use of a semicolon, though!  You rarely see them used correctly.

11 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

A brief message from Internal Affairs division of Grammar Police:

The possessive of "Hopkins" would be "Hopkins's."  There would be no "S" following the apostrophe only if you were referring to something possessed by multiple of "Hopkin" in that instance.

Bonus:  Pluralizing his name would make it "Hopkinses."

Excellent use of a semicolon, though!  You rarely see them used correctly.

Yeah one of the only gramme rules I remember from my school years!

I pay particular attention to this :)

4 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

i dont think he has missed a kick at Fedex this year.  Remember how this field used to be a terror for other kickers.

Almost positive he hit the upright in the GB game. Possibly even missed another. But that night was cold and windy as all hell so I didn't think too much of it.

Ya this was the last thing skins needed, this guy going in the tank... with the awful defense and close games, every Point is a potential winning/losing margin... London has messed this guy up and  it seems, with skins kickers, they rarely find their rhythm again unless it's with another team.

he is totally unreliable now. 

Put FG kicker in the needs category for 2017 along with just about every position on D.

40 minutes ago, jpage520 said:

Almost positive he hit the upright in the GB game. Possibly even missed another. But that night was cold and windy as all hell so I didn't think too much of it.

Sorry, but you're wrong :P

Home (FGA/FGM)

Pittsburgh: 3/3

Dallas: 3/3

Cleveland: 1/1

Philadelphia: 2/2

Minnesota: 4/4

Green Bay: 1/1

Total: 14/14

Away (FGA/FGM)

New York: 5/5

Baltimore: 2/1

Detroit: 2/1 Hopkins hits top upright

Cincinnati: 4/2

Dallas: 4/2

Arizona: 3/3

Philadelphia: 1/0

Total: 21/14

And he had one windy miss in Baltimore where the ball was seemingly right, until the last second where it went left...

Archived