Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Rule Question

nonniey

I have a question and after doing a search have had no luck. When a receiver on a screen gets hit prior to touching the ball and then catches and goes down because of the original contact but wasn't touched when and after he caught the ball - why is he down by contact (why would contact before possession count)?  This happened to Kelly on his second reception yesterday he got up and made positive yardage but  the play was called back to where he hit the ground. (This is not unique I've seen this happen to other receivers). 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I think that they blew the call if that was the sequence. I think they ruled he had possession of the ball was touched, and was ruled down.

If that is the case the Redskins missed an easy challenge - ending up with a 3 yard loss instead of an nine yard gain when they were on the Cowboy 40 and  failed to convert and  punt 3 plays later. (2d Quarter 6:32)

18 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

If I recall you can't challenge a whistle or any play involving one. Makes sense considering..

There was no whistle they let play develop until he was tackled at the 31.

16 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Can someone tell me why we were penalized on that onside kick that touched a Cowboy and then went out of bounds?

They blew that call should not have been a penalty. Pretty obviously too - didn't effect the game but just bad officiating there. And yes it did get the needed yardage.

4 minutes ago, kost203 said:

I believe they said it did not reach the needed yardage. 

It did. They said the ball when out of bounds.

I'm not 100% on the rule, but either an onside kick can't go out of bounds regardless of it hitting a player, or the refs screwed up. Given the refs' performance all game, I'm inclined to say they screwed up.

3 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

It did. They said the ball when out of bounds.

I'm not 100% on the rule, but either an onside kick can't go out of bounds regardless of it hitting a player, or the refs screwed up. Given the refs' performance all game, I'm inclined to say they screwed up.

I'm not sure but if I recall playing American football when I was younger that if it hits the other team then it's a live ball. 

So, if it's a live ball and it hits the cowboys then it's fair game. How can one say it didn't reach the needed "" yardage if it was impeded but the Cowboys? 

12 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Then by all means he should have challenged it. 

Just went back and looked at it again he was brought down at the 33 not 31 (7 yard gain if they had got it right) and it was very close (closer than I thought) but replay was clear the Cowboy had finished the contact (Tripping him up) before the ball arrived.

Just now, kost203 said:

I'm not sure but if I recall playing American football when I was younger that if it hits the other team then it's a live ball. 

So, if it's a live ball and it hits the cowboys then it's fair game. How can one say it didn't reach the needed "" yardage if it was impeded but the Cowboys? 

On a onside kick the kicking team cannot touch the ball until it goes 10 yards from the los, but the receiving team does not have to wait until the ball goes 10 yards. They can touch it no matter how far the ball goes from the los. Once the receiving team touches the ball it is fair game no matter where it is.

Unless it's just not showing on the mobile app, the NFL app does not show a penalty on the last onside kick. It shows it went out of bounds at the WAS 47 and that's where Dallas started their last drive. I was as confused as the rest of you as why they threw the flag. We'll probably never get an explanation because it had no bearing on the game.

I don't have a rule reference, but on the onside kick I believe as long as the receiveing team does not purposely knock the ball out of bounds it is a penalty on the kicking team if the ball goes out of bounds. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/9/25/13049606/packers-kick-return-ty-montgomery-randall-cobb?client=safari

The link shows how a Packers returner earlier this year put his feet out of bounds and reached back into the field of play to touch the ball and was able to draw a penalty against the Lions. Not exactly the same situation, but the rule applies the same as the onside kick yesterday. 

36 minutes ago, MontanaSkins said:

I don't have a rule reference, but on the onside kick I believe as long as the receiveing team does not purposely knock the ball out of bounds it is a penalty on the kicking team if the ball goes out of bounds. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/9/25/13049606/packers-kick-return-ty-montgomery-randall-cobb?client=safari

The link shows how a Packers returner earlier this year put his feet out of bounds and reached back into the field of play to touch the ball and was able to draw a penalty against the Lions. Not exactly the same situation, but the rule applies the same as the onside kick yesterday. 

I think this is correct in that a kickoff is not like a punt, meaning that the possession is not automatically changed once the ball is kicked.

On a punt, the possession is considered changed when the ball is kicked... a receiver would have to muff it for possession to change back to the kickers (Or some weird block play) whereas  a kickoff it is a free ball after ten yards, so if it is not possessed before going out of bounds, then it is a penalty on the kicking team, regardless of who touches it. (we almost recovered one against the Packers,, the kickoff hung in the wind and bounced funny, and the Packers were not in any hurry to pick it up... i don't know how many realize if the Redskins had grabbed it, then it was our ball.)

I don't know for sure if that is how the rule works, i am guessing based on logic and a couple of tokes on trusty ol' Blue. I recognize one or both have nothing to do with how the NFL rules work.

~Bang

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

That play where Reed "fumbled" wasn't that him making a catch and being down by contact? Seemed pretty obvious watching the TV replay, but it was ruled an incomplete pass if I remember correctly?

It was ultimately correctly called, but they let the guy return the "fumble" and Kirk put himself on the line trying to make the tackle. Just irritated me.

Archived