Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redzone Offense has officially become biggest problem area.

NoCalMike

4 hours ago, Alexa said:

I think they need to try and run the ball a little more when we get down there. It's always a pass when we get to 2nd down. I'd also keep Davis and Reed on the field and run more 2 TE sets so we keep the threat of the run.

I would put a lot of emphasis on this type of package. Davis, Reed, Garcon and Crowder all need to on the field in the RZ. That would be a complete nightmare for any team to deal with.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/13/washington-still-has-plenty-room-improve/

LANDOVER — The real issue isn’t whether Washington’s glass is half full or half empty. Because no matter your perspective, the fact is there’s space for more.

More improvement in the red zone. More get-off-the-field stops. More focus, more consistency, more dominance.

There’s a better question to ask about Washington: What’s keeping them from the brim of their potential? Sunday’s 26-20 victory against the Minnesota Vikings beats the alternative, but it doesn’t provide any answers.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Docston, and then DJax being down.  Our outside WRs of Grant and Garçon are very average.  DJax is important at the moment just to keep Grant off the field in critical situations.

Did you really mean Grant? Or did you mean Crowder? I'm hoping you meant Crowder as Grant has been a disappointment in my eyes. Trying hard to remember the last time he had a positive play for the team.

Crowder and DJax are small any ill suited for redzone targets where that back line allows defenders to crowd them.  Last year we did it with slants to Garçon and Reed, but defenses have taken that away and we've not found a set of plays or personnel grouping that works.  Reed is getting bracketed in the redzone, he's got no where to go.  

Coaches have to get creative.  If they solve this issue the Redskins will start blowing teams out, the offense is nearly unstoppable otherwise.  

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This is where losing Docston hurts us. He's built to be a beast in the red zone.

Yeahhh we saw that play a little to many times before he got hurt??. My God that was bad playcalling. 

But we need a bigger body for the end zone. On regular downs we stretch the field with route combinations and use play action. In the redzone all does concepts work a lot less because the field of play way smaller. We then need a bigger guy to just beat a defender one on one. 

IMHO, I would like to see our redzone offense run the ball more.  When you get pass happy in that tight area it favors the D.  If we do HAVE to pass, maybe more passes to backs out of the backfield?  Something needs to change.  

Hate to bring this up, but wouldn't it be nice if we had a 6'3" WR with a 40" vertical for the redzone????........oh wait......

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Docston, and then DJax being down.  Our outside WRs of Grant and Garçon are very average.  DJax is important at the moment just to keep Grant off the field in critical situations.

Dude seriously you are putting Grant and Garcon under the same "very average" label?  If anyone should be working the field in the redzone is Garcon, the dude can catch the ball in traffic, and can block. Now if the play calls for someone to slip and fall down Grant is our man.

9 hours ago, ksun247 said:

Did you really mean Grant? Or did you mean Crowder? I'm hoping you meant Crowder as Grant has been a disappointment in my eyes. Trying hard to remember the last time he had a positive play for the team.

Right, so what I said was with DJax and Doctson down, our outside WRs, which are Garcon and Grant, are very average.  Crowder is a slot guy, he doesn't play outside. 

Generally, the slot guy and the TEs work the middle of the field, and the outside WRs work outside.  What Zimmer was able to do was essentially cover up Reed and Crowder on the inside with additional attention, daring Garcon and Grant to beat them outside.  They really couldn't do that consistently. 

Which is why they drafted Doctson.  So they wouldn't have to play Grant.  But he's got a mystery injury, and DJax is hurt. 

8 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Dude seriously you are putting Grant and Garcon under the same "very average" label?  If anyone should be working the field in the redzone is Garcon, the dude can catch the ball in traffic, and can block. Now if the play calls for someone to slip and fall down Grant is our man.

I'm saying that as a duo, they're average. Garcon is clearly MUCH better.  But When you put the two of them together, they're average. 

Grant is a good WR to have in there for run-plays, and he can catch a few balls here and there.  But counting on him to be a starter detracts from the entire unit. 

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Don't insult Garcon by putting him in the same sentence as Grant....Grant is not an NFL player

He actually is really good at what he does, but you'd have to actually look deeper than stats to figure that out.

But he's not a starting calibre outside WR.  He's a 3rd guy you bring in here and there to help in the run game and catch a pass or two. 

But when you have injuries to 2 of your top 3 WRs, you end up with backups starting.  It's life. 

Garcon is great at what he does, but he doesn't stretch the field, and he doesn't get a ton of separation.  He's tough as nails, and makes huge catches over the middle.

My point is that without a guy like DJax, or possibly Doctson, the defense can compress.  They don't have to worry about being beaten over the top on the outside, so they can focus on the interior and pay more attention to Crowder, Reed and VDavis. 

If DJax is back next week, the entire defense HAS to back off.  He extends the defense, which opens up things for EVERYBODY else. 

Agree with your last few posts VOR.  Jackson, unfortunately, doesn't help in the RZ (not that you were saying he does).

I think Grant can be helpful in the RZ (just don't throw to him on 3rd down) as we've shown a tendency to run when he's brought in - which allows us the element of surprise through PA passing.  When he's starting though, that's maybe a different story.  

15 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Maurice Harris is 6'3", at least.  

I was just about to say this.  (Looked it up he is 6'3")  Also, the catches he made on those out routes? He had to have good hands and get his feet down.  If I were Gruden I'd be running some jump ball plays to him in practice to test his ability to catch the football in traffic.  This is the NFL, sometimes players emerge that you barely knew were on the roster. The Giants have been doing it for years with WRs.  

The kid was good enough to get into the game yesterday, and his size makes him the kind of WR you need to expand the playbook in smaller space.

Give the kid a shot!

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I was just about to say this.  (Looked it up he is 6'3")  Also, the catches he made on those out routes? He had to have good hands and get his feet down.  If I were Gruden I'd be running some jump ball plays to him in practice to test his ability to catch the football in traffic.  This is the NFL, sometimes players emerge that you barely knew were on the roster. The Giants have been doing it for years with WRs.  

The kid was good enough to get into the game yesterday, and his size makes him the kind of WR you need to expand the playbook in smaller space.

Give the kid a shot!

Indeed, he looked good enough to get some of the reps Grant would get.  

Archived