Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Steelers at Redskins

TK

7 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

We were down in the second half, relatively substantially  

Of course that skews the numbers towards passing somewhat, but it was a one possession game in the 3rd quarter. We should not have a 4 to 1 ratio of passes to runs.

And this isn't just tonight's game. Jay doesn't run the football. He has always been a guy who passes the ball over 60% of the time. 

I tend to disagree with Jay's play calling tendency here. You have to commit to the run to establish the run, and even passing teams need some semblance of balance. 

2 minutes ago, s0crates said:

Of course that skews the numbers towards passing somewhat, but it was a one possession game in the 3rd quarter. We should not have a 4 to 1 ratio of passes to runs.

And this isn't just tonight's game. Jay doesn't run the football. He has always been a guy who passes the ball over 60% of the time. 

I tend to disagree with Jay's play calling tendency here. You have to commit to the run to establish the run, and even passing teams need some semblance of balance. 

I agree, overall. This offense subsists of of big plays, that are usually predicated on a run/play-action system. We saw none of it tonight, mostly because the Steelers O was ahead and dictated our O. 

Generally, I would be optimistic, but based on last season( running game) and the small sample size this season, I lack confidence.  

Cousins and the offense looked rusty, but given the lack of playing time he and the rest of the starters received in the preseason, I'm not surprised.  They started picking it up a bit in the second half, but unfortunately that was too late.  I'm not too worried about the passing game...yet.

As for our defense, our run defense is what scares the **** out of me.  We did nothing significant of note to upgrade the D-Line, and it showed just how mismatched we were there.  We had to sell out on the short yardage plays to help our DL, and Pittsburgh took full advantage of this.  

I'm not going to sit here and try to critique every single move Scot made in the draft/free agency.  But one moved that still baffles me is passing on Andrew Billings in the 4th.  I don't care how little they planned on using our 'base 3-4 package' but when a run stuffing fatty like that falls to you in the 4th, you quickly scoop him up in hopes of help filling a major need.  Instead, Scot got cute, traded back and got a DT/NT in the 5th that didn't even make our team.  

This board continues to forgive our LB core. Seriously, what has Compton and Foster done to instill confidence in you? They're great underdog stories, but I still have not seen any clear evidence they're starting caliber MLB's. 

No, seriously, why does everyone like them? They're pedigree is mediocre( to awful), they're on field action is, arguably, less than mediocre. Compton and Foster, tonight, were constantly dominated run wise and lost in coverage. Yet everybody on this board loves them. Why?

1 hour ago, WilberMarshall said:

The points are valid.

What I don't know is if we will able to tackle someone in the backfield. 

When a QB that is hard to bring down drops the ball a couple of times and we can't get to it.  Like, secure the ball first before anything.

Maybe I don't know anything about football but how do you keep letting the best receiver on the planet get isolated against Breeland without safety help? 

What did Breeland do to deserve such treatment by the coaching staff? 

We got a little unlucky with a few things the first half but that's the ways it goes sometimes. Wouldn't read too much into.

Poor Breeland, Antonio is the best there is and his connection with Ben is sublime. He shouldn't let this get him down. 

Barry should have forced the issue a little earlier w/ the blitz..Haley took him to the woodshed this game. 

We need to remember Pittsburgh was the 3rd ranked offense last year and a perennial super bowl contender for a while. This is an top shelf team. We had a shot to make a statement and they slapped us in the face and took our lunch money. Your're either winning or your learning. We need to soak this in and do something about it on the field. Talk is cheap.

• TK unpinned this topic
25 minutes ago, Beast2Meast21 said:

Hard to run when the Defense was giving up 6-8 min long TD drives And your down double digits by the time you get the ball back. 

Well Jay agrees with me about his poor play selection, and I quote:

"We gotta get our running game going and take some pressure off the quarterback. We get a little to giddy sometimes with [the weapons we have in the passing game], and we forget the bread and butter of this football team needs to be the running game. We gotta make sure we stay balanced, and that's my fault tonight."

It is hard to run the ball when you are down by double digits.  As far as what I seen from the run game I was not impressed. I was worried about the d-line coming in. However, I did not think it would be that bad. When you get blown out at home it has to be eye opening. The team just did not play good enough. Maybe we were not fully prepared. To many penalties on offense, lack of concentration, and horrible redzone offense. But as silly as this sounds our season maybe on the line next week when Dallas comes to town. We cannot go into New York, a place where historically we play very bad at 0-2.

No, the game was plenty close enough to run the game when it was 6-0, 6-7, 6-14, hell even 6-17.  Our team just sucks at running the ball.  The Steelers were playing zone defense to stop downfield passing.  They were not prepared to stop the run against any team with a competent running offense.If we would have had ANY consistent success at running the ball I guarantee they stop playing the safeties so deep on every play and it instantly would have opened up more big play opportunities.  

There was no reason to abandon the running game as early as they did.

You knew we were in trouble when we were the better team at the outset and the lead got wiped out in one play. 

7 hours ago, skinsforlife101 said:

It is hard to run the ball when you are down by double digits.  As far as what I seen from the run game I was not impressed. 

They couldnt run it when they were up either.  But when they're playing off in a soft zone, theoretically, they should been able to get chunk yards running it.  Woulda been the same as all those check downs.

7 hours ago, s0crates said:

Well Jay agrees with me about his poor play selection, and I quote:

"We gotta get our running game going and take some pressure off the quarterback. We get a little to giddy sometimes with [the weapons we have in the passing game], and we forget the bread and butter of this football team needs to be the running game. We gotta make sure we stay balanced, and that's my fault tonight."

Sounds like I've heard that before. 

7 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

No, the game was plenty close enough to run the game when it was 6-0, 6-7, 6-14, hell even 6-17.  Our team just sucks at running the ball.  The Steelers were playing zone defense to stop downfield passing.  They were not prepared to stop the run against any team with a competent running offense.If we would have had ANY consistent success at running the ball I guarantee they stop playing the safeties so deep on every play and it instantly would have opened up more big play opportunities.  

There was no reason to abandon the running game as early as they did.

My issue is we didnt do anything to address it.  Same OL, same backs.  

It's like Callahan was supposed to wave a magic wand and produce a  good run blocking OL outta thin air.  And then Jones and Thompson were supposed to be something other than what they've shown.

If kirk doesn't improve from last year and if this is who he is there's no way in hell I would offer more then 8m/yr. And if he doesn't like that goodbye. you can find QBs outside of 1st round nowadays. look at David Carr a 4th rounder. Prescott a 4th rounder. Heck Russel Wilson a 3rd rnd. Andy Dalton 2nd.

6 minutes ago, Beast2Meast21 said:

you can find QBs outside of 1st round nowadays. look at David Carr a 4th rounder. Prescott a 4th rounder. Heck Russel Wilson a 3rd rnd. Andy Dalton 2nd.

David was 1st overall... Derek was 2nd round.

But I agree I really really like Kirk but I don't want him to get 20m+ from us every year.  He's not good enough for that IMO and we have too many deficiencies throughout the roster the cap should be used better.

Draft & Development of a new QB next year.

On 9/12/2016 at 11:44 PM, s0crates said:
On 9/13/2016 at 2:35 PM, campfodder said:

David was 1st overall... Derek was 2nd round.

But I agree I really really like Kirk but I don't want him to get 20m+ from us every year.  He's not good enough for that IMO and we have too many deficiencies throughout the roster the cap should be used better.

Draft & Development of a new QB next year.

Your right he was a 2nd rounder. Still thats a steal for a second rounder. Hes been a stud and is only in his 3rd year. 

On September 12, 2016 at 11:06 PM, DM72 said:

You must have just started watching football. 

most of the OL movement was a result of this---

Neutral zone infraction (5 yards) - A neutral zone infraction is when a defensive player crosses the line of scrimmage prior to the snap and then causes an offensive player to move. Rather than call a false start on the offense, the penalty is called on the defensive player. 

So, listening to the Cooley Film Breakdown, it appears as though some of the 1:1 with Breeland on Brown was actually supposed to have some help over the top with Hall, but he never got there.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call for the defense (and for the coaches, and for GMSM) that they just need to do a lot better.  They need better players, they need to have better coaches, and they need to have better preparation.  

Cooley was seriously going after Bruton Jr.  

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, listening to the Cooley Film Breakdown, it appears as though some of the 1:1 with Breeland on Brown was actually supposed to have some help over the top with Hall, but he never got there.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call for the defense (and for the coaches, and for GMSM) that they just need to do a lot better.  They need better players, they need to have better coaches, and they need to have better preparation.  

Cooley was seriously going after Bruton Jr.  

That's what I thought.

Hall certainly was on his horse immediately trying to get there. He is no spring chicken and it probably took him longer than he thought it would, was expecting a jam, or underestimated how fast AB is.

Thanks for sharing the Cool comments.

I have a feeling we see Duke next week.

On 9/12/2016 at 6:06 PM, TK said:

Be sure to routinely check the ES Coverage Blog throughout the Pre Game, Game itself, & Post Game for coverage from JimmiJo.  You can also follow him & Murf on the Twitt-ah @skinscast & @HomerMcFanboy

Chat room is also available

Radio Streams - TuneIn probably works better for mobile

ESPN 980 on TuneIn Radio

ESPN 980 Feed

ANNOUNCEMENT OF INACTIVES

LANDOVER, Md. – The Washington Redskins have announced the following inactives and lineup changes for tonight’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers:

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 2 QB Nate Sudfeld

o   No. 19 WR Rashad Ross

o   No. 29 S Duke Ihenacho

o   No. 38 CB Kendall Fuller

o   No. 62 C Austin Reiter

o   No. 72 DE Anthony Lanier II

o   No. 74 G Arie Kouandjio

The Steelers declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 11 WR Markus Wheaton

o   No. 18 QB Zach Mettenberger

o   No. 27 CB Senquez Golson

o   No. 45 FB Roosevelt Nix

o   No. 51 LB Steven Johnson

o   No. 72 C/G Cody Wallace

o   No. 96 DE L.T. Walton

Could you also post the officiating crews and betting lines?

3 hours ago, s0crates said:

Maybe this has something to do with him and Josh Norman jawing on the sideline?

I think Norman was just asking why he sucks. :)

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

That's what I thought.

Hall certainly was on his horse immediately trying to get there. He is no spring chicken and it probably took him longer than he thought it would, was expecting a jam, or underestimated how fast AB is.

Thanks for sharing the Cool comments.

I have a feeling we see Duke next week.

Cooley said he thought you'd see Duke also.  

Archived