Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

Idaho AG may be correct about illegal to refer patients for a procedure out of state. I don't think most medical licenses' prescription powers cross state lines. It is why my sister-in-law in WA can't just write one for her mother in MD.

Thus an idaho doc likely can't legally refer a patient for a procedure in another state. It has nothing to do with whether the procedure is an abortion or the removal of impacted wisdom teeth. It would be about the license limitations. 

19 hours ago, Larry said:

.... even though, the morning after, fertilization has not yet taken place. 

All of this crap is just that crap and an attempt to control female reproductive freedom. If we aren't outraged by this, we are part of the problem. Females are entitled to their bodily autonomy without interference by legislatures, court rulings, and religious beliefs that aren't based on scientific and medical knowledge. 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

All of this crap is just that crap and an attempt to control female reproductive freedom. If we aren't outraged by this, we are part of the problem. Females are entitled to their bodily autonomy without interference by legislatures, court rulings, and religious beliefs that aren't based on scientific and medical knowledge. 

And what does a man know about it anyway?  :ols:

I knew the next morning.  My whole body was just totally "off", and I could tell something wasn't right.  The very next morning.  And I was only 19. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

And what does a man know about it anyway?  :ols:

I knew the next morning.  My whole body was just totally "off", and I could tell something wasn't right.  The very next morning.  And I was only 19. 

Hmm, well if thats the case..

I'm imposing a six hour abortion ban, thats more than enough time. You'll just have to bang in the doctor's office to make sure you get a timely appointment.

5 hours ago, gbear said:

Idaho AG may be correct about illegal to refer patients for a procedure out of state. I don't think most medical licenses' prescription powers cross state lines. It is why my sister-in-law in WA can't just write one for her mother in MD.

Thus an idaho doc likely can't legally refer a patient for a procedure in another state. It has nothing to do with whether the procedure is an abortion or the removal of impacted wisdom teeth. It would be about the license limitations. 

Not sure that’s entirely true. MDs can’t practice across state lines, unless they have an active license from that state. Referrals are just pointing patients to providers/doctors in another area, because they they are not licensed there. My doctor in NC referred me to a provider here in SC when I moved a few months back.

Oh, and the Idaho AG is just another MAGIdiot.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Thumb up 2

As abortion ban looms, Florida may soon authorize ‘baby boxes’ for unwanted infants

In the medieval ages, mothers would emerge under the cover of night, head to the church, and place their unwanted newborns in turntables embedded in the walls, where, on the other side, a nun would take them.

A version of the practice may soon return in Florida.

A bill passed unanimously in the House and advancing in the Senate would allow fire departments, hospitals and EMS stations to install high-tech “newborn infant safety devices,” commonly referred to as “baby boxes,” into their walls. The technology, currently in use in a few states, is designed such that parents, particularly mothers, can drop their babies inside and walk away, never interacting with another person.

Florida, like many states across the U.S., currently has a “safe-haven law” in place, where anyone can surrender a newborn at a designated location, no questions asked. But the law does not say anything about leaving the newborns in boxes.

The bills, HB 899 and SB 870, do not specify what device would be used or who would supply it, but nearly all such boxes are manufactured and distributed by one company: Indiana-based Safe Haven Baby Boxes, whose founder and CEO, Monica Kelsey, was herself abandoned as an infant.

Baby box legislation was first introduced in 2020, then again in 2021, failing in the Senate both times. This time, it may become law.

The legislation seems innocuous at first glance — what could be less controversial than saving babies’ lives? But some say the baby boxes, advancing in the Legislature at the same time as a proposed six-week abortion ban, are immoral, even dangerous. The bill has received pushback, particularly in South Florida, from Senate Minority Leader Lauren Book. D-Davie, local fire departments, and a potential competitor: A Safe Haven for Newborns, a Miami-based nonprofit that provides most abandoned baby services across the state.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

So now maybe people will believe that the GOP intentionally stacked the courts with a bunch of reactionary, legislating from the bench, Fed Society loons intent on banning abortion?  Therefore they should be kicked from power on a permanent basis? 

Tell me how this ruling is consistent with any GOP complaints of judicial power prior to flipping SCOTUS 6-3 in their favor.  

A dr could sue to ban guns based on this ruling.

• Thumb up 1

Supreme Court Briefly Restores Broad Availability of Abortion Pill

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. issued a temporary stay on Friday ensuring that a common abortion pill would remain widely available while the Supreme Court decides whether to grant a formal stay. The interim stay will expire at midnight on Wednesday.

Such a stay is meant to preserve the status quo while the justices study the briefs and lower court rulings, and it did not forecast how the justices would ultimately rule.

Justice Alito, the member of the court responsible for overseeing the appeals court whose ruling is at issue, ordered the groups challenging the Food and Drug Administration’s approval of the pill to file their brief by Tuesday at noon.

The move followed an emergency application filed Friday morning by the Biden administration asking the justices to intervene.

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Don't feel bad for Florida, this is what they wanted. You should all be happy for them.

No, no, how dare you! They just wanted more say in their children's education! And like, they're not homophobic or anything, but they just wanted the gays to know that they need to tone it down a bit, you know?! And then there were those obvious economic anxieties about inflation!

This abortion thing? No way they could have possibly seen that coming! That was a total shock to them, pinky swear!

• Like 1

Biden Administration Moves to Ban Healthcare Workers From Reporting Abortions to Police

The Biden administration announced Wednesday that it’s moving to close a loophole in medical privacy laws that allows healthcare workers to report patients to the police if they suspect them of self-managing an abortion. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) doesn’t require healthcare workers to make these reports, but it doesn’t prevent them from doing so, either. The move comes amid a push from advocates and after reporting from Jezebel and others explained the dangers of the privacy loophole and the chilling effect it can have on health care in a post Roe v. Wade America.

The proposed rule—from the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office for Civil Rights—would add language to HIPAA to ban healthcare workers and insurance companies from sharing health information that would be “used to identify, investigate, sue, or prosecute someone for seeking, obtaining, providing, or facilitating lawful reproductive health care.”

• Thumb up 1