Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You should 100 percent buy an EV.

Teslas are nice and easy. I would highly recommend them. In my five years of ownership the only maintenance expenses I have had is $200 for new air filters installed by tesla mobile service twice and then a new set of tires ~600. I had two warrantee issues (FM radio stopped working and I had a door paint issue on my second car) both were resolved quickly.

I would say if you aren’t buying a Tesla wait until next year. Several major manufactures have said the are adapting Teslas charging connector as standard and it will be much easier to use super chargers without adapters.

i have a 09 lexus and 05 pilot and both are running great so thats why i dont want to get a new car

• Thumb up 1

Driver says he was 'trapped' in hot Tesla after battery died

An Arizona man says he was trapped in his Tesla in the extreme heat after the power died and he didn't know how to escape.

Investigators at Scripps News Phoenix found dozens of drivers have filed complaints with federal auto safety regulators who are urging car owners to learn how to manually get out in an emergency.

"It's definitely a safety concern; it was one of the hotter days," said 73-year-old Rick Meggison.

He said he was stuck in his Tesla Model Y in his garage back in June.

"I couldn't open the doors. I couldn't lower the windows. The computer was dead, so I couldn't open the glove box. I couldn't open anything." Meggison said his main lithium-ion battery, what's needed to propel his electric car, had plenty of range.

He later learned a separate 12-volt battery in his Tesla Model Y died after he opened the door, and he said he was trapped inside on a 100° day for 20 minutes. The low-voltage battery powers what's inside a Tesla including the doors, computer display, and windows.

"It's essentially a computer on wheels that's run on a battery," said car safety expert Norma Hubele.

Hubele is the founder of theautoprofessor.com, a data-based website that ranks how cars perform in crashes. She's also been an expert witness in over 120 consumer-related cases with the majority involving automotive safety.

"If that battery is not reliable or if for some reason the consumer isn't aware of how to override a problem with the battery, then you can have real safety problems," she said.

When the electric system fails, there is a way to get out of an electric car, which is clearly outlined in Tesla's manual, but experts believe many drivers, like Meggison, are unaware.

Click on the link for the full article

22 minutes ago, China said:

Driver says he was 'trapped' in hot Tesla after battery died

An Arizona man says he was trapped in his Tesla in the extreme heat after the power died and he didn't know how to escape.

Investigators at Scripps News Phoenix found dozens of drivers have filed complaints with federal auto safety regulators who are urging car owners to learn how to manually get out in an emergency.

"It's definitely a safety concern; it was one of the hotter days," said 73-year-old Rick Meggison.

He said he was stuck in his Tesla Model Y in his garage back in June.

"I couldn't open the doors. I couldn't lower the windows. The computer was dead, so I couldn't open the glove box. I couldn't open anything." Meggison said his main lithium-ion battery, what's needed to propel his electric car, had plenty of range.

He later learned a separate 12-volt battery in his Tesla Model Y died after he opened the door, and he said he was trapped inside on a 100° day for 20 minutes. The low-voltage battery powers what's inside a Tesla including the doors, computer display, and windows.

"It's essentially a computer on wheels that's run on a battery," said car safety expert Norma Hubele.

Hubele is the founder of theautoprofessor.com, a data-based website that ranks how cars perform in crashes. She's also been an expert witness in over 120 consumer-related cases with the majority involving automotive safety.

"If that battery is not reliable or if for some reason the consumer isn't aware of how to override a problem with the battery, then you can have real safety problems," she said.

When the electric system fails, there is a way to get out of an electric car, which is clearly outlined in Tesla's manual, but experts believe many drivers, like Meggison, are unaware.

There is no way to get out of the back seat if the 12v system fails.

But usually the car gives you a lot of warning that the 12v battery is going to fail before it does…

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Sounds like a dumbass 

Yes, but I bet there are a lot of dumbass Tesla owners (as there are of every type of car).  I wonder if you did a survey of Tesla owners and asked them if they know how to get out of their car if the battery died, how many would know?

Edited by China
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Sounds like a dumbass 

In this case.

But what about in the case of an accident where 12v power is severed and the 15 seconds it takes to feel around for the emergency release button is the difference between life and death?

Apparently this is an issue with all cars with frameless windows and the frequency of this being an issue is fair small, but I think there should be a better solution. Perhaps a localized emergency power supply for the doors.

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

In this case.

But what about in the case of an accident where 12v power is severed and the 15 seconds it takes to feel around for the emergency release button is the difference between life and death?

Apparently this is an issue with all cars with frameless windows and the frequency of this being an issue is fair small, but I think there should be a better solution. Perhaps a localized emergency power supply for the doors.

The obvious answer is frequently the best:

goldfinger-eject.gif.d8cdb8fa168982c12c8d2e7129be6aa4.gif

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on how much it actually costs. I seen several rivian around and I really like the suv but it’s like 100k. If I can get a Cybertruck for $60K w/ fsd then it’s no contest. If it costs closer to 70-80 it’s going to be a tougher call. Rivian should adapt teslas charging connector like most other ev manufacturers are doing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tesla blocks Scottsdale woman from charging her car

A Scottsdale woman brought her Tesla in for repairs. When she got the car back, a key system no longer worked and she couldn’t get Tesla to fix the problem. That’s when she called in On Your Side.

Erine Erickson loves her Tesla Model 3. But these days, the EV stays parked in her garage. “It’s, you know, 3,000 pounds of metal in a parking spot downstairs,” she said.

Erickson’s problem started last month when the battery on her Tesla died. She took it to Tesla, and they replaced the battery for free under their warranty. However, during the process, Tesla technicians turned off the key feature that allows Tesla drivers to supercharge their vehicles in 15 minutes. Erickson says she didn’t find out until she stopped at a supercharger station and could not charge her Tesla. “That’s when people saw me and came up to me and people were trying to troubleshoot it,” she said. “But nobody had ever seen anything like it.”

Turns out, Tesla had intentionally deactivated Erickson’s supercharger feature for safety reasons. Here’s why. When replacing Erickson’s battery, Tesla says they discovered that Carfax listed her car as having a salvaged title due to being totaled in a collision. As a result, Tesla removed the supercharger feature as a safety precaution.

But Carfax’s information was wrong because an insurance company provided incorrect information. Erickson’s car was never totaled. In fact, there was just minor damage from a fender bender. “I am just hoping for some attention at Tesla and for somebody to look at all of the proof that I provided, from the insurance company, from the collision center, from the DMV, that my car is obviously not totaled,” Erickson said.

But even with that proof, along with Carfax correcting Erickson’s car from a salvage title to a clean title, Tesla hadn’t restored the supercharging feature and they hadn’t helped Erickson at all. “I wouldn’t characterize it as customer service,” she said. “I mean, there’s not a way to email them. There’s a way to communicate on the app but they don’t respond.”

Going to test drive a Model 3 on Saturday. I test drove the ID.4 last week. First time driving an EV, was pretty weird to not have the engine noise and just how smooth / fast it was. 

Got moving on a merge to the highway thought I was going 45 looked at the speedometer and was going 65. Neat experience definitely would take some getting used to. 

• Thumb up 1

My current car is near end of life, maintenance and running costs are getting past the point where I think it's feasible to keep putting money into it. 

I'm looking at end of year to pickup a new car. The tax rebate for fed and state are very enticing and would have a positive impact on our end of year tax situation. It also appears they are discounting the on-hand inventory pretty aggressively at the moment. I'm interested to see how the driving and UI experience is versus the VW. 

Test drove the Y & 3 this weekend. I'm sold, I'm going to pick one up end of the month or early November. 

Driving dynamics were very good and getting back into my car afterwards felt like a giant step backwards. I was also very happy with the dealership experience; no pressure answered all my questions and seemed generally invested in the product. I'm also very happy to not have to deal with the finance people at a traditional dealership and go back and forth with pricing and any potential post agreement add on. 

• Thumb up 1