Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

Tesla will have to prove to the NHTSA that their software fix works. I’ve been hearing good things about fsd beta 11, but we will see if those fixes come in that update. Tesla can’t choose to do nothing. They either have to remove the feature or fix it. 

There was a similar recall a few months or a year ago where fsd beta had an option for “California Stops” which meant no stopping at stop signs. Obviously that is a traffic offense so Tesla had to issue a recall to remove the option, which they did.

This set of specific complaints will be much hard to fix, I think.

From NHTSA:

The FSD Beta system may allow the vehicle to act unsafe around intersections, such as traveling straight through an intersection while in a turn-only lane, entering a stop sign-controlled intersection without coming to a complete stop, or proceeding into an intersection during a steady yellow traffic signal without due caution. 

In addition, the system may respond insufficiently to changes in posted speed limits or not adequately account for the driver’s adjustment of the vehicle’s speed to exceed posted speed limits,

Now, from my experience the car reads speed limits pretty well, except when the speed limit changes due to school zones or some other feature like that during a specific time. It is a long way from being able to do that. So depending on how strict NHTSA is in wanting that fixed, that could be a massive problem for the FSD beta program.

The first set of complaints is even tougher. The fsd beta suite is not capable of making unprotected turns and will do all of the things mentioned above about 90 percent of the times with unprotected lefts. So they are going to have to modify the beta code so it doesn’t even attempt them. It’s really bad at that.  Also any sign that says no turns between x and x. I won’t read those signs either.

Every where else it seems to do an adequate job, but again, it all comes down to how strict (what percentage of failure) will NHTSA allow.

I hope it isn’t 100 percent. Right now doesn’t even have to be as good as human driver. As we are supposed to be monitoring it. I don’t think that is what NHTSA is after though, so I believe they will be fair with Tesla, even if Tesla has a difference of opinion on that. Tesla is the coach that wants his player to keep playing after the concussion, and NHTSA is the independent neurologist. Gonna have to go with what they say. I think the biggest thing that NHTSA wants really is better monitoring of driver attentiveness, as the wheel nags can be defeated.  

Tesla is getting to roll out fsd computer 4 which will likely include a better driver monitoring camera. Unfortunately HW4 is not comparable with older cars which means there won’t be a retrofit. So I’m not sure what that means for fsd beta in older cars. 

This recall could result in significant legal issues for Tesla.  I also feel like the inability to retrofit cars (which have bought FSD) with HW4 is another legal challenge for Tesla . Those cars were sold as having everything necessary for FSD. Once there is one feature that hw4 cars have that hw3 cars don’t have, I expect class action lawsuits to follow, and I will sign up for that. (But would also accept lifetime fsd tranfer).

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

• 3 weeks later...

There's one big problem with Tesla's plan to open its exclusive Supercharger network: The cords aren't long enough for other EVs

After years of teasers, Tesla has begun opening up its vast, exclusive network of Superchargers to drivers of other electric vehicles in the US. 

There's just one kink that Elon Musk hasn't ironed out: The charging cables, which were designed for Teslas, aren't long enough to comfortably accommodate some other cars. It means non-Teslas have had to park awkwardly to plug in. Or worse yet, park in the wrong spot, blocking off two charging stalls instead of one. 

Early this month, Tesla opened a handful of its roughly 1,700 US charging stations to non-Tesla vehicles. It accomplished this rather elegantly, by retrofitting what it calls a "Magic Dock," an adapter that automatically attaches to let Chevrolets, Porsches, BMWs top up. (Tesla designed its own charging connector, while the rest of the industry uses a different standard.)

Click on the link for the full article

2 hours ago, China said:

There's one big problem with Tesla's plan to open its exclusive Supercharger network: The cords aren't long enough for other EVs

After years of teasers, Tesla has begun opening up its vast, exclusive network of Superchargers to drivers of other electric vehicles in the US. 

There's just one kink that Elon Musk hasn't ironed out: The charging cables, which were designed for Teslas, aren't long enough to comfortably accommodate some other cars. It means non-Teslas have had to park awkwardly to plug in. Or worse yet, park in the wrong spot, blocking off two charging stalls instead of one. 

Early this month, Tesla opened a handful of its roughly 1,700 US charging stations to non-Tesla vehicles. It accomplished this rather elegantly, by retrofitting what it calls a "Magic Dock," an adapter that automatically attaches to let Chevrolets, Porsches, BMWs top up. (Tesla designed its own charging connector, while the rest of the industry uses a different standard.)

Click on the link for the full article

It’s a shame that the legacy auto manufactures decided against working with Tesla to determine the standard when Tesla first selling cars. It’s also a shame that the industry did not adapt teslas charging standard as it is much better and user friendly than CCS….

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/12/13/teslas-fast-charging-tech-is-clearly-better-but/

This isn’t teslas problem however. They get the govnt money just by allowing other manufactures to charge, even if it is inconvenient.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

Doesn’t look like it’s going very well. I would think long haul wouldn’t work. Maybe just day trips back and forth a couple hundred miles. 

Fwiw production ramp of model 3 had the same problem and they got it figured out.

Long haul won’t work. Even if the range is 500 miles you’d only want to use half of that daily, which fully loaded is probably around 150 miles.  Like what Pepsi is using it for….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No, that didn’t happen.

youre hilarious. 

Did you even read the story?

From the article, something I missed in earlier news I guess

Tesla has come under scrutiny for other technical faults. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating its Autopilot system and reports of steering wheels falling off its SUVs, it announced in March.

😂 

29 minutes ago, tshile said:

youre hilarious. 

Did you even read the story?

From the article, something I missed in earlier news I guess

😂

The steering wheels thing did happen.

But your phone won’t unlock someone else’s Tesla. What most likely happened is the person whose car was taken left their phone in the car. Then when this guy got into it it was already unlocked and ready to drive. Pin to drive (which can be enabled) would have prevented this issue as well.

41 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The steering wheels thing did happen.

But your phone won’t unlock someone else’s Tesla. What most likely happened is the person whose car was taken left their phone in the car. Then when this guy got into it it was already unlocked and ready to drive. Pin to drive (which can be enabled) would have prevented this issue as well.

According to the story the other guy was able to unlock the first guys car and sent him a message. From the story two separate people were able to unlock each other's car and one was able to drive the wrong car to pick up their kids. I have doubts that the story is real, but if it is, it would be a wild security flaw. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, GoCommiesGo said:

According to the story the other guy was able to unlock the first guys car and sent him a message. From the story two separate people were able to unlock each other's car and one was able to drive the wrong car to pick up their kids. I have doubts that the story is real, but if it is, it would be a wild security flaw. 

The story also says they recorded it all. 

Just now, GoCommiesGo said:

I missed that part. I saw it earlier on Jalopnik, I would be floored if this was real and not setup. It seems too wild to be true.  

So does the Hyundai/Kia thing, but that one’s true. 

I have no idea if it’s true. I was just laughing at how she discounted it, I’m not convinced she even read the article 😂 

• Like 1