Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Right before Rogue One since the ship in Rebels was present in the Rogue One movie. Not sure where Solo would fit in that but probably almost concurrently.

Maybe I'll try the first few and see if I get into it...I feel like the fact that they're cartoons will make it tough to get into. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Oh man - I've never done the comics or external things. I read some books a while back, but they weren't considered canon back then (the Heir to the Empire series). How many episodes is Rebels?

It's 4 seasons and really well done. It's somewhat an offshoot of The Clone Wars. It's fantastic.

I just re-watched the Last Jedi again--it's a lot better this time around. I wasn't wild about it initially, but didn't hate it like some here. A couple of thoughts:

OF COURSE Luke is jaded. He never had any idea who the Jedi really were. He sums the Jedi in the prequels perfect: blind, arrogant fools. They allowed Darth Sidious to rise right under their nose and wipe them out. Then, he makes the same mistakes, allowing himself to "believe his own press" and fail Ben Solo in the same way--through arrogance and weakness. The Yoda scene was terrific.

My only real complaint was the Canto Blight scene--a bit too long and somewhat pointless. But it introduced Star Wars Fenster--and he was great.

It gets a lot of hate because there was no way it could live up to fanboy-spaz, Comic Book Guy expectations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Would I have to watch Clone Wars first?

Not entirely necessary, but one of the best parts of the series will be lost if you don't.

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

No. But some characters show up from it.

I think this part would be completely lost:

Spoiler

When Ahsoka learns what really happened to Anakin, and then faces him at the end of Season 2.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Leia floating back inside. 

This mortally wounded me, and though the movie got better, there was no chance for recovery. I thought the writing was dicey in some spots, certain scenes were a little too unbelievable  (like Leia Supermanning back to the ship in the vacuum of space, and Snoak being able to manipulate Ren's mind and control people via the force through hologram (something not explored in the other trilogies) yet basically gets the Sith version of a "Kick me" sign put on him by Ren. 

And though I like John Boyega as an actor, I wasn't really feeling it in this one. Just seemed out of place.

I loved all the scenes with Luke and Rey though. The way the Force has such a strong interaction with her (along with the weird voices) makes me think she's the daughter of a powerful dead Sith Lord or something.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This mortally wounded me, and though the movie got better, there was no chance for recovery.

Yeah this nearly tanked the entire thing. It was inexcusable. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Snoak being able to manipulate Ren's mind and control people via the force through hologram (something not explored in the other trilogies)

I thought they kinda book-ended this nicely with Luke being able to force project himself across the galaxy. Snoke could force smash Hux into the ground from his ship and Luke shows a similar though entirely greater mastery later.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

yet basically gets the Sith version of a "Kick me" sign put on him by Ren. 

Snoke got lost in his hubris. He admits that Kylo was conflicted and he sensed that. He then later states that he can sense Kylo is no longer conflicted and is set in his mind. He was right, Kylo wasn't being torn apart anymore, he was decided in destroying the old and starting new with himself as the leader. IT wasn't a stretch for me that Snoke couldn't pick up on that. 

Rey and Kylo also were still connected at the end of the movie even though Snoke was dead so perhaps he wasn't pulling the strings as much as he thought. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And though I like John Boyega as an actor, I wasn't really feeling it in this one. Just seemed out of place.

This might be my biggest flaw with both TFA and TLJ. They had an amazing idea to tell the story of a storm trooper with a conscience that turned away from his upbringing and life to go down the path of good. It was handled pretty well initially in TFA and then they just kinda turned him into comedic relief around the halfway point of TFA and into TLJ. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

My only real complaint was the Canto Blight scene--a bit too long and somewhat pointless. But it introduced Star Wars Fenster--and he was great.

It gets a lot of hate because there was no way it could live up to fanboy-spaz, Comic Book Guy expectations.

Without even getting into the Force related stuff, it was a poorly written movie.  They need a hacker.  They contact Maz, who only one of them has met for 5 like minutes.  The only person they have to contact is a person essentially none of them know.  She says there is one guy in the galaxy that can do it.  They end up in jail with another guy that Maz isn't the one person that Maz can do it, and they just take him for his word.

Holdo's plan depends on the First Order having their "cloaking scanner" off (keep in mind the resistance technology is ancient compared to the First Order's).  And of course, the whole Poe/Finn/Rose story could have been avoided if Holdo would have simply said, hey, we have a  plan to save everybody.  It is just going to take a little time to develop.

And then to save the day, she crashes a ship at light speed into another ship even though they've already lost other ships and the First Order is completely surprised by it so its like nobody in the galaxy had ever thought of it before. (Why create a Death Star?  Just crash a couple of big ships into a planet at light speed.)

And of course, the Yoda ghost shows up to impart one last part of wisdom to Luke.  Hey where were you when he was considering killing Ben?

(Then you add in Leia flying back into the ship.  Kylo easily killing Snoke where Snoke can do things we've never seen before (the force time without even either one of them know he's doing it) and Kylo being a relatively weak force user, Rey being "balanced" despite that she's actually a good person, etc. and you have bigger issues.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1. She said there's one person she trusts to do it. Doesn't mean there arent others.

2. In what actual or fictional military does a Vice Admiral explain herself to a recently demoted Commander?

3. I dont think crashing a ship into a planet is going to have the effect you think. The hull of a ship is one thing, a planet os completely different

4. Kylo Ren is powerful, and has the ability to shield his true intentions is not that far of a stretch.

5. Its clearly a winged appaloosa. 

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

1. She said there's one person she trusts to do it. Doesn't mean there arent others.

2. In what actual or fictional military does a Vice Admiral explain herself to a recently demoted Commander?

3. I dont think crashing a ship into a planet is going to have the effect you think. The hull of a ship is one thing, a planet os completely different

4. Kylo Ren is powerful, and has the ability to shield his true intentions is not that far of a stretch.

5. Its clearly a winged appaloosa. 

1.  "This is rarefied cracking.  You want to get on that destroyer.  I only know one option."

2.  I didn't say she had to explain herself.  She assembles everybody and says they have to hope.  She doesn't have lay out her whole plan and especially not to him, but why not give them all something to hope for, especially as they see ship and Captains of other ships being killed.  It isn't hard to see if you aren't at least suggesting there is a plan that you are going to have issues with a revolt.

3.  kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2.  That is the velocity term is squared and the speed of light is a large velocity and so the square of the speed of light is a huge number and 

4.  He doesn't appear that powerful, especially with respect to Snoke.

5.  ?

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

1.  "This is rarefied cracking.  You want to get on that destroyer.  I only know one option."

2.  I didn't say she had to explain herself.  She assembles everybody and says they have to hope.  She doesn't have lay out her whole plan and especially not to him, but why not give them all something to hope for, especially as they see ship and Captains of other ships being killed.  It isn't hard to see if you aren't at least suggesting there is a plan that you are going to have issues with a revolt.

3.  kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2.  That is the velocity term is squared and the speed of light is a large velocity and so the square of the speed of light is a huge number and 

4.  He doesn't appear that powerful, especially with respect to Snoke.

5.  ?

1. Fine. Still doesn't mean there is still only 1 person...in the entire galaxy.

2. That's pretty much what she did.

3. And? It's a movie.

4. Well he was.

5. Google it.

Dude come on, nobody cares about the scientific formulas for the speed of light or whatever. If you take these movies that seriously, they probably aren’t for you and I don't know how any of them could be considered fun for you. These are movies about space ninjas that have telekinesis and can turn into immortal ghosts 

kylo was shown to be a very powerful force user in TFA. It’s not a stretch that he could shield his intentions from Snoke who clearly underestimated him anyway in his hubris 

the code breaker thing was confusing. I initially thought DJ was the master code breaker and perhaps he lost his lapel or something. Either way, the fact that somebody else was able to do it is convenient but also kinda goes along with an idea of the movie in that greatness can come from anyone, it doesn’t have to be someone special or expected as is the case with Rey and her lineage. It really should have just been Lando and that be the end of it. Would have been a nice bit of premarketing for Solo too. Oh well 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

1. Fine. Still doesn't mean there is still only 1 person...in the entire galaxy.

2. That's pretty much what she did.

3. And? It's a movie.

4. Well he was.

5. Google it.

1. And they just happen to meet one of those people in a prison when looking for another.  (You've completely ignored the fact they contacted somebody they hardly knew and hardly knows them to get the information).

2.  No, she didn't or Finn, Poe, Rose, and their friend on the bridge wouldn't come out of it thinking they had to do something to save the fleet and Rey (in Finn's case).   She simply said they have to survive.  Ships are being destroyed, and there is no general sense of the people that we see on the ship there is even a plan.

3.  crashing small things at light speed into things would be very destructive.  So?  Movies should be logical.  If you could crash things into other things at light speed that would be a good way to destroy things.  There's been a lot of effort in the Star Wars universe to destroy things.  That nobody has thought of that before, and they wouldn't have used it earlier or the First Order wouldn't be prepared for it is unbelievable.

4.  Okay, but that doesn't mean it makes sense in the larger context of the story.  If something unbelievable happens in a movie based on the context of the movie, you should say that's unbelievable.  Not, well it happened.

And that's the fundamental problem with the movie.  Even given the leeway needed for the Star Wars movies, there are too many things that are unbelievable.  Movies should have some internal logic.  TLJ doesn't, especially in the context of the larger Star Wars universe.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1

http://epicstream.com/news/Billy-Dee-Williams-Is-Officially-Reprising-His-Role-As-Lando-In-Star-Wars-Episode-IX

Billy Dee Williams Is Officially Reprising His Role As Lando In Star Wars: Episode IX

Author ThumbnailTiny DiapanaJuly 09, 2018

It looks like it’s official – Billy Dee Williams is really reprising his role as Lando Calrissian in the third and final episode of Lucasfilm’s Star Wars sequel trilogy, Star Wars: Episode IX.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, news of Williams’ involvement in Episode IX has just been recently confirmed by sources close to Lucasfilm, saying that the actor would be joining actors Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver in the highly anticipated Star Wars movie.

William’s return doesn’t come as too much of a surprise to the Star Wars fanbase. There’s been a lot of talk of Lando’s return the past few months, especially after the death of Mark Hamill’s Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: The Last Jedi and the actual passing of Star Wars legend Carrie Fisher back in December 2016.

Without Luke, Han Solo, and of course Fisher, fans have been hoping to see Star Wars’ most charming and suave gambler could somehow make a return in Episode IX. It’s been years since we’ve seen Williams play the role – the last time the actor played Lando was in the original trilogy’s Return of the Jedi.

It also didn’t help that a recent convention cancellation blamed his absence of “filming schedule” giving away the likelihood of Williams returning in Episode IX. Now it looks like it’s been made official ahead of the film’s production.

Star Wars: Episode IX premieres on December 20, 2019.

• Like 1

Excited to have Lando back.

I could list so many writing and plot holes in episode 8, worse ones than other episodes I think. The only Star Wars movie I dislike more than this is Phantom Menace. Rian Johnson is supposed to be a great writer, which got me excited about it, but the writing was so poor... 

I'm more upset at the Lucas Film leadership who have no plan and just let directors do whatever they want. Marvel has a plan, and as long as directors hit certain points that are needed for their story they have leeway. Lucas Film is let Rian Johnson do whatever he wanted, so no consistency in the movies and story. Bad leadership is the major issue I think.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ok, please explain to me, using peer reviewed articles, the physics of collisions at light speed.

It is about internal consistency.  If you could take out a fleet by merely jumping a ship into hyperspace, that would be the primary weapon of the universe rather than dog-fighting it out.  No physics lesson needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One point about the "if x is possible why is y the first time we see it" mentality...

We are seeing a sliver of all the events in this universe. How do we know that this is the first time someone has flown a ship into another ship? Maybe it's been done before but some people like to try to survive battles so they don't do it all the time? 

I hate to bring horrific real-world events into this, but Japanese pilots used this technique a lot during World War II, right? Why did nobody really do it again until 9/11 to pull off a terrorist attack?

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

One point about the "if x is possible why is y the first time we see it" mentality...

We are seeing a sliver of all the events in this universe. How do we know that this is the first time someone has flown a ship into another ship? Maybe it's been done before but some people like to try to survive battles so they don't do it all the time? 

I hate to bring horrific real-world events into this, but Japanese pilots used this technique a lot during World War II, right? Why did nobody really do it again until 9/11 to pull off a terrorist attack?

Three things:

1.  The resistance lost ships already while they are fleeing.  They start with 4 ships.  They are down to their last ship.  The other 3 have all been destroyed by the First Order, presumably with the loss of their Captain (we only see the medical frigate and Captain killed).  If this was a known tactic, then why didn't one of their first 3 ships do it.

2.  We now do a lot of things to prepare for people flying into buildings.  Things like our Air Craft carriers for a long time have had defenses to be prepared to fly things into them.  Hux is told they are preparing to jump to light speed.  There is no sense, hey they might be getting to ram us at light speed.

3.  In that universe with droids, why would a person have to do it?  Sending something like a missile flying at light speed to some thing with a designated course (e.g. a planet) is going to be super destructive.

It just doesn't make much sense.

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Three things:

1.  The resistance lost ships already while they are fleeing.  They start with 4 ships.  They are down to their last ship.  The other 3 have all been destroyed by the First Order, presumably with the loss of their Captain (we only see the medical frigate and Captain killed).  If this was a known tactic, then why didn't one of their first 3 ships do it.

2.  We now do a lot of things to prepare for people flying into buildings.  Things like our Air Craft carriers for a long time have had defenses to be prepared to fly things into them.  Hux is told they are preparing to jump to light speed.  There is no sense, hey they might be getting to ram us at light speed.

3.  In that universe with droids, why would a person have to do it?  Sending something like a missile flying at light speed to some thing with a designated course (e.g. a planet) is going to be super destructive.

It just doesn't make much sense.

I see your points and don't want to bend over backwards too much defending the plot of most of these movies. Makes sense. 

Because usually a ship is being fired on and the pursuing ship has their shields up and their guns ready. They would be expecting it since it's not something that can happen right away. 

In this case, their hubris got to them again. They let their guard down and didn't realize what she as doing until it was too late. They were focused on the transport pods. It's established that they could have just sent tie-fighters close range and bombed them and been done with it but they didn't. They wanted to wait out the end of the rebellion. 

By the time they realized she wasn't fleeing at light speed but was actually turning around to face them and ram them, it was too late