Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

https://www.starwars.com/news/sdcc-2018-the-clone-wars-to-return

SDCC 2018: STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS TO RETURN WITH NEW EPISODES

DAVE FILONI TALKS EXCLUSIVELY TO STARWARS.COM ABOUT FINISHING THE CLASSIC ANIMATED SERIES ON DISNEY’S DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER STREAMING SERVICE.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars is coming back.

Let that sink in. Because you helped make it happen with your love for the series and unwavering support.

Just announced by Dave Filoni at San Diego Comic-Con during a 10th anniversary celebration of the beloved animated series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars will be returning with 12 all-new episodes on Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming service. Created by George Lucas, the show first aired in 2008 and became an entry point into Star Wars for an entire generation, following fan-favorites like Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Padmé Amidala, while introducing major new characters like Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano and Captain Rex. Its stories were complex, its heroes and villains were perfectly imperfect, and its look was captivatingly beautiful. It became a multi-Emmy winner and is now regarded as essential Star Wars.

But it was never finished. The Clone Wars ended after five broadcast seasons — just as Ahsoka left the Jedi Order. A few post-Season Five episodes were later released as “The Lost Missions,” but the story wasn’t over. Fans have clamored for Disney and Lucasfilm to finish what was started ever since. And now it’s actually happening.

StarWars.com recently caught up with Filoni, supervising director and shepherd of the series, to discuss the shocking return of The Clone Wars. You can also check out the trailer above, which debuted at the panel, and a striking new poster below.

SDCC18-TCW-poster.jpg

StarWars.com: Did you ever think this would be possible? That we’d get here?

Dave Filoni: No. I didn’t, I really didn’t.

StarWars.com: What can you say about the fans’ enthusiasm over the years and, really, their role in making this happen?

Dave Filoni: Well, thankfully, their enthusiasm is relentless. Their love of these characters and stories hasn’t diminished. I actually think their voice has gotten louder as the years have gone by. It’s been very humbling to have their support and to have people continue to hashtag me, “#SaveTheCloneWars.”

StarWars.com: To you personally, what does it mean to get to finish it?

Dave Filoni: Personally, it’s very rewarding. Any opportunity to put the final pieces of the story in place is meaningful as a storyteller. I’m happy for the opportunity to define these things and the end of this part of the Clone War. It also makes me reflect on all the people that I got to work with over the years. It reinforces the things I learned from George. It reminds me of the important elements that go into making Star Wars. So, it’s nice on several levels, and I think for the crew that’s still here that worked on Clone Wars, they feel that, as well.

StarWars.com: What do you think it is, 10 years later now, that made this show resonate so much with people, and made it stick with them, and gave it the strength to come back?

Dave Filoni: I think the variety of stories was a big part of it. You also can’t underestimate how important it was that so many people grew up with the show. Clone Wars was a piece of Star Wars that older fans might have, initially, not taken seriously because it was animated, but that wasn’t a barrier for kids. They loved the clones and identified with them. Ahsoka gave kids a character that was like them — someone their age that was experiencing life’s challenges and learning along the way. Plus, having a new episode each week really allowed us to explore what was going on with the new and legacy characters in a dynamic way, including Anakin and Obi-Wan. I think the stories left an indelible impression and, of course, George knew it would. He always knew.

• Like 1

Are those by Angela McKendrick? It looks a lot like her style. Met her at the Baltimore Book Festival a couple years ago and bought one for my classroom (Join the Rebellion) and one for my brother (Join the Federation Starfleet or something like that).

If that's her, she's got a wide range of those posters. Sci Fi, fantasy, superheroes, etc. They're really cool. 

Edit: d03947bce3c2adbf69c5b6169598baf2--star-t

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLnIgnBuMUXYz_JvgB1PR

Edited by dfitzo53
  • Like 1

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX CAST ANNOUNCED

RETURNING AND NEW CAST MEMBERS WILL JOIN TOGETHER FOR THE FINAL INSTALLMENT OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA.

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX.

Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).

Release is scheduled for December 2019.

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Honestly I wish they had killed off Leia instead of Han. Her acting and her role in Ep 7 & 8 were horrible.

I guess you didn’t actually see Episode 8 then because General Princess Leia stole the ****ing show. She’s still just as lovely as she was in that gold bikini all those years ago and there was a scene where she flew through outer space after her ship blew up and it was the best scene in any of the Star Wars movies ever!!

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Solo was a solid SW movie. That it failed at the box office (almost 400 mil worldwide) still confuses me.

Perhaps too much too soon and the casual SW viewers are better off waiting a few years in between?

Yeah, I went in expecting it to be bad, but I loved it.

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It was entertaining but kinda messy and ultimately meaningless. 

What do you mean by meaningless? I actually prefer that these one-off movies don't need to weave into the overall plot of the trilogies. Rogue One was a cool exception, but what did you expect or want to see out of Solo for it to be more meaningful? 

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What do you mean by meaningless? I actually prefer that these one-off movies don't need to weave into the overall plot of the trilogies. Rogue One was a cool exception, but what did you expect or want to see out of Solo for it to be more meaningful? 

I just didn’t feel like it had any substance or a worthwhile story to tell. Felt like a start to end goal was just checking off boxes but there was no significant or quality story that needed to be told. 

name? Check

chewie: check

falcon: check 

lando: check 

shoot first: check

Also, while entertaining, I just don’t think it needed to be told and I think the imagination of Han’s past was something best left untold. The truth was just a letdown and made the entire thing feel empty to me. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3