Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

31 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think the two latest episodes in the main series are perfectly fine. With the exception of The Empire Strikes Back, I don't see how they are any worse than other episodes. In many ways, I preferred them. I liked having a new set of characters and I think the two main characters (Rey and Kylo) are interesting. As others have said, you could nitpick anything, but they are entertaining and flow well to me. 

If you really want to pick these movies apart, you could destroy some of the plot in TESB...think how powerful Vader is. He has the leaders of the rebellion in his grasp in Cloud City and just turns them over the Lando. There's also the elaborate "let's freeze Luke to bring him back to the Emperor but first test it on Han" storyline. WHAT??? Just use like 50 stormtroopers to detain these guys and you have Leia, Solo, and Luke as your prisoners (or dead if you want). 

Those aren't the leaders of the rebellion, he's planning on taking Leia with him, and holding  a Jedi with even 50 storm troopers isn't a sure thing.

Any Sci-fi movie can be pocked apart.  But 3-6 are pretty tight movies.

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

Those aren't the leaders of the rebellion, he's planning on taking Leia with him, and holding  a Jedi with even 50 storm troopers isn't a sure thing.

Any Sci-fi movie can be pocked apart.  But 3-6 are pretty tight movies.

How about Luke's plan to start RoTJ...that seemed so unnecessarily complicated. 

The fact that it comes to light that Rey isn’t from ANY lineage is dumb.  Jedi FaceTime is dumb.  Episode 8 takes everything started with episode 7 and says “Go **** yourself”.

Now, they are giving this nudge his own trilogy.  What gives?

How can Disney do so well with Marvel but so poorly with Star Wars?

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

The fact that it comes to light that Rey isn’t from ANY lineage is dumb.  Jedi FaceTime is dumb.  Episode 8 takes everything started with episode 7 and says “Go **** yourself”.

But none of that is guaranteed to be true. Maybe it was a lie...you know like OB1 told a few to Luke...

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

But none of that is guaranteed to be true. Maybe it was a lie...you know like OB1 told a few to Luke...

That is the ONLY way they can redeem episode 8 in my mind.

Also, tf is Lea not dead?  What are they doing????

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

How about Luke's plan to start RoTJ...that seemed so unnecessarily complicated. 

Yes, it seems overly complicated, but an overly complicated rescue plan is a pretty small thing.  Like I said, you can pick apart any Sci-Fi movie.   

(Clearly there's 3 important parts here:

1.  Get as many of their allies in place as possible.

2.  Get Luke's light saber there.

3.  Thaw Han so he can walk out instead of trying to drag the whole platform he's frozen in out.)

And is a relatively small thing in comparison to the larger plot inconsistencies that happen in VIII.  There's like 3 similar things VIII ignoring the whole Rose/Finn plot.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Now, they are giving this nudge his own trilogy.  What gives?

How can Disney do so well with Marvel but so poorly with Star Wars?

What lineage did Anakin Skywalker come from? His mother was a nobody, just like Rey's. I don't see a difference there. Also, Kylo could also be full of ****, and her parents actually are important. Easily could have told her what she wanted to hear to nudge her in the direction he wants.

Also 'Force-time' (TM) was dope. And if Snoke was the one controlling it, you won't have to see it again. But I think the scenes they had together in those moments were some of the most powerful in the film.

53 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Why does she have to be from a famous lineage for the movie to be redeemed?

Because otherwise this trilogy is just some offshoot of the original 6.

5 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

What lineage did Anakin Skywalker come from? His mother was a nobody, just like Rey's. I don't see a difference there. Also, Kylo could also be full of ****, and her parents actually are important. Easily could have told her what she wanted to hear to nudge her in the direction he wants.

Also 'Force-time' (TM) was dope. And if Snoke was the one controlling it, you won't have to see it again. But I think the scenes they had together in those moments were some of the most powerful in the film.

Anakin started this whole thing and died at episode 6.  If this is separate from that then why not start a new Star Wars series?  Other than the obvious cash grab.

1-3 was the story of Anakin

4-6 was the story of Luke, his son

7-9 is the story of Rey, who isn’t related to the above at all????

Edited by Springfield

34 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Because otherwise this trilogy is just some offshoot of the original 6.

Anakin started this whole thing and died at episode 6.  If this is separate from that then why not start a new Star Wars series?  Other than the obvious cash grab.

Why does the protagonist have to be the relation, is this not even more so the story of Ben Solo? There’s your Skywalker lineage. 

8 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Why does the protagonist have to be the relation, is this not even more so the story of Ben Solo? There’s your Skywalker lineage. 

Lets be honest, Ben Solo was cool af until he took off his helmet and starting acting like a petulant child with his JP from Grandma’s Boy lookin ass.  Ben Solo is related to Lea, who was eye candy for the better part of two films and an unknowingly incestual for the rest.

Ben Solo can suck it.  This is the story of Rey and how she saves the galaxy, from something.  I guess.  I can’t even tell any more after episode 8.

56 minutes ago, Springfield said:

7-9 is the continuing story of Anakin's children and grandson and the fallout from the first 6 episodes. The impact Vader had on his grandson posthumously who ultimately rejected his uncle Luke, Vader's son. 

I'm not sure a direct continuation of that story with Rey, who isn't related, makes it an offshoot. I prefer that she isn't related because it makes her special in her own right rather than some magic blood flowing in her. 

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Lets be honest, Ben Solo was cool af until he took off his helmet

He was cool with the helmet and then he became a really well written and compelling character once he took it off and showed his humanity and inner turmoil, with Driver's excellent acting chops on full display. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

A lot of Jedi survived that first purge. 

So really, who was the last Jedi? Was it Luke? Is it Rey? Kylo Ren (and his Knights of Ren)? 

It will never happen but I'd love to see Ezra Bridger show up in Episode IX. 

What's an Ezra Bridger? Sounds like a 90s rock band that comes out with a couple decent songs...

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Oh man - I've never done the comics or external things. I read some books a while back, but they weren't considered canon back then (the Heir to the Empire series). How many episodes is Rebels?

4 seasons, 75 episodes total. They run about 22 minutes each without commercials. 

I found them better than a lot of the movie mateiral to be honest.

One of the characters is a more developed version of what Chewbacca was supposed to look like (based on the original artwork by Ralph McQuarrie).

Edited by The Evil Genius

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Lets be honest, Ben Solo was cool af until he took off his helmet and starting acting like a petulant child with his JP from Grandma’s Boy lookin ass.  Ben Solo is related to Lea, who was eye candy for the better part of two films and an unknowingly incestual for the rest.

Ben Solo can suck it.  This is the story of Rey and how she saves the galaxy, from something.  I guess.  I can’t even tell any more after episode 8.

That's the entire Skywalker lineage. Anakin, Luke, Ben... all 3 of them were whiny children. That's the family tree you're holding in such high regard.

Definitely lost some cool factor when he took the mask off, but I think he's done an excellent job expressing the conflict. Dude looks tormented with every decision he makes.

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

And the time period is between Episodes 3 and 4...but before Rogue One and Solo?

Right before Rogue One since the ship in Rebels was present in the Rogue One movie. Not sure where Solo would fit in that but probably almost concurrently.

• Like 1