Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there a bigger scam in the world than airline miles?

Lombardi's_kid_brother

I loved US Airways miles. Then American took over. I used to fly from DC to SF first class on miles. Now that would take me YEARS to accomplish for just a single ticket. Not joking, we flew first class from DCA to SFO via PHI for 12,500 miles each way. Now, each way is 50k for 1st, 25k for coach. Now I'm looking at Virgin America non stop and its looking like I will book for ~$200/ each way.

I don't travel enough to use airline miles.

but... we have an amex blue sky card and we live on credit cards. everything except for our mortgage and water bill goes to the credit card. we pay it off every month.

this will be the second time, in 3 years, we're going to florida for free. well, not quite free this time. it will cost us $7 for two round trip tickets.

if you're able to put everything on a credit card, and pay the balance off every month so you owe no interest, and you're not concerned about having your purchases tracked, then you should find a card that gives you rewards. there are tons of them. there are a ton of good traveling cards too, but you have to travel a lot to get the use out of the best ones.

It's not a game.

Oh, it's a game, and I'm pretty sure I'm winning. :)

If you are using your card for travel perks, then the best one I've found is the American Express Blue Sky Preferred.

but... we have an amex blue sky card

Actually, if you have a specific enough usage patterns, miles/points cards like the Starwood Amex or a co branded airline card CAN make more sense (mile/point valuations can be 3 cents or higher, plus ancillary benefits).

That being noted, for most people, Predicto is right, because things like the Blue Sky Amex pay out at like 1.3%, and you can do better just getting a 2% cash back card, paying cash for those trips, and pocketing the other .7%.

The only downside is it doesn't feel "free", but the opportunity cost is huge otherwise.

Screw points.  Screw miles.  

Go for a straight forward cash back card.  The only way to go.   I get 2 percent back on my Fidelity visa.   That's free folding cash.

Your amex has been converted to Visa? Mine's still an amex.

The citi double cash also pays 2% cash back, for the record.

People like tech boy are the reason rewards across all industries get worse and worse for the rest of us

They do nothing to help the company in return and make the marketing program a success, they just game the system and take.

Resulting in a much more conservative program the next time around.

Eventually, you end up with what we see in the OP. Thank you selfish internet nerds for ruining yet another thing for the rest of us

People like tech boy are the reason rewards across all industries get worse and worse for the rest of us

In point of fact, the airlines and hotels make GOBS of money from "people like me", because the game is mostly played with the credit card companies, and they make a fortune selling miles to those entities. Air Canada's miles program was so successful they spun it off and made it an independent entity, as I recall.

In point of fact, most of the effect you're whining about arose from something generally regarded as a good thing: deregulation and competetion. Airlines have razor thin profit margins and they're pulling increasingly elaborate stunts in an attempt to compensate.

Devaluing miles, linking them to revenue, etc. is no different than the shrinking seats, poorer/non existent food, new fees, etc.

Of course, you can buy a first class ticket for what coach used to cost, so I'm not sure that much was lost, since if you want to pay more for the old experience, you basically can.

Yup, people with gobs of free time taking and giving nothing back ruining it for the rest of us

Wish more people called them on it. I work with one of these guys. Doesn't pay for anything and does nothing but play the credit card and miles game. Brags about it constantly.

Overheard at meeting in marketing department of major hotel chain:

"And that is why, ladies and gentlemen, I think we should put this lucrative rewards program in place. Business travelers who have a choice of where they stay will choose us instead, and we will take share from our competition, grow sales, and create brand loyalty"

"Brand loyalty? You do realize the last time we ran this promo every loser you know gamed us and got a free week in the Bahamas. We got nothing in return. They have no loyalty and immediately went to Our competition when they ran their promo. Our good customers got screwed"

"Yah, better stick with the crappy promo that mitigates out exposure"

"Word"

Actually, if you have a specific enough usage patterns, miles/points cards like the Starwood Amex or a co branded airline card CAN make more sense (mile/point valuations can be 3 cents or higher, plus ancillary benefits).

That being noted, for most people, Predicto is right, because things like the Blue Sky Amex pay out at like 1.3%, and you can do better just getting a 2% cash back card, paying cash for those trips, and pocketing the other .7%.

I was doing the Amex costco card for a while until that relationship dissolved. Now I'm on the discover IT card. I got in while they were doing the 2X back after a year promotion, which they may still be doing. I'm getting tons of cash back on it.

I never calculated out the cost like you said, and you're probably right. I'll have to do that before switching back to it for a future trip... does feel good to book an out of start vacation for $7 though (not paying for hotel either) :)

I'm honestly not very familiar with hotel rewards programs because I focus on airlines... I have a few Starwood points, but that's about it.

I can say with some certainy, zoony, that you are wrong about the airlines.

It makes me a little sad that you're annoyed with me, though.

I'm going to have to work hard not to let it ruin my mood when I'm flying Business class to Spain this spring. :)

I'm not doing any of this on a personal credit card. I book through a corporate Amex which is paid off at the end of each month by my employer.

I try to stay away from credit cards in real life, because I'm sloppy with personal bookkeeping. I once signed up for a Target card to get that 5 percent discount, promptly forgot I did that, and ended up paying around $100 in interest and penalties once I remembered that "Oh ****....I have a Target card...." That $8.50 I saved at checkout really came in handy then.

I think Zoony and I are on the same page - are there any good brand loyalty programs that don't involve having to use a Marriott credit card to book an American flight? That's the point of all this.

None of this is really a "scam." It feels a little bit like false advertising. Basically, the reward I've received for a year of killing myself in airports is the ability to fly to my parents and stay in a residence inn for free the next time an elderly aunt dies.

Aw you're using the company card?

Everyone I know that travels for work uses their card and gets reimbursed. My boss went like 4 years without paying for him or his wife to travel around the world for vacations, after leaving the company he traveled for so much.

If you don't want the hassle of a brand loyalty card and you don't want a credit card... not sure there is an answer there...

I have the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa.  I pay all my monthly bills with it and pay it off at the end of the month so I don't accrue interest charges.  Doing this, I get $2,000-4,000 points per month and have been able to take 2 free flights per year for myself and my girlfriend.  Sadly, I can't pay my mortgage with a credit card or that number would go WAY up. 

This is exactly what I do with my United Mileage Plus credit card.  Between that and long distance flights, I haven't had a lot of problems with accruing and using miles.

I travel a bunch for work. I also play the CC churn game and sign up for big bonuses. I have 14 credit cards now 

What points have paid for in the last year

1) 2 round trip tickets to hawaii for our honeymoon

2) Multiple free stays at Marriot

3) A free stay at the W on Southbeach (via SPG)

I love the SPG program since I always end up staying at an SPG hotel when I travel and the perks of being a gold member are worth it (4 PM late checkout is huge) 

Re: Marriott points.  They are only worth about .9 cents a point.  But cost 1.25 to buy.  So it's not a good deal most of the time.  However, there are many times that I find rooms for 15,000 points that are advertised at more than 135.00 a night.  It's not a great deal, but it helps.  And while it would be better monetarily to use a double points cash back card, I travel a bunch for kids sports, and I enjoy the perks associated with Marriott.  Especially the 3pm check out.  Lets us go to the fields in the am on Sundays without having to pack up the rooms.

Long term users of cash-back cards we've recently made good use of the Chase United airline miles and found international availability very decent. With sign-up bonuses and spending thresholds we've scored four international tickets for travel in the summertime at a value of $1500 each, with spending habits that would have earned us less than a third of that in cashback rewards.

Long term users of cash-back cards we've recently made good use of the Chase United airline miles and found international availability very decent. With sign-up bonuses and spending thresholds we've scored four international tickets for travel in the summertime at a value of $1500 each, with spending habits that would have earned us less than a third of that in cashback rewards.

If you're going to go with United Miles beyond the sign up bonuses, you're better off with one of the Ultimate Rewards program cards. UR transfer 1:1 to United, and a bunch of other programs as well (as well as directly cashing out at 1 cent a piece, though that is comparatively a bad value). More flexibility, and most UR cards have categories where you get multiple points per dollar. Points can be transferred from card to card, and even between spouses, which allows pooling for faster rewards. The only thing you lose out on is the secondary perks of the United card itself, which I have never found that useful to begin with.

Ultimate Rewards (a Chase program, by the way), for example, also transfer to British Air, which can be useful for short hops (it was only 9000 miles each to New Orleans this past New Year's, for example) as well as for Aer Lingus if you want to go to Ireland. Nasty fuel surcharges on their own metal though.

If you're going to go with United Miles beyond the sign up bonuses, you're better off with one of the Ultimate Rewards program cards. UR transfer 1:1 to United, and a bunch of other programs as well (as well as directly cashing out at 1 cent a piece, though that is comparatively a bad value). More flexibility, and most UR cards have categories where you get multiple points per dollar. Points can be transferred from card to card, and even between spouses, which allows pooling for faster rewards. The only thing you lose out on is the secondary perks of the United card itself, which I have never found that useful to begin with.

Ultimate Rewards (a Chase program, by the way), for example, also transfer to British Air, which can be useful for short hops (it was only 9000 miles each to New Orleans this past New Year's, for example) as well as for Aer Lingus if you want to go to Ireland. Nasty fuel surcharges on their own metal though.

I'll loook into it. The club passes and free bags make the Chase United card attractive too. For a long time we would not have made good use of the international flights but due to other circumstances we've recently been taking flights where each mile is worth 2.5 cents, which is a pretty good multiplier.

Just my opinion and 2 cents on the topic:

- putting kids on behavior medication when they act like kids (there are cases when necessary, but I am saying it is misused)

- "equality" with regard to the family court system

- suggestion boxes (evil things)

- weight loss gimmicks

Archived