Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there a bigger scam in the world than airline miles?

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Just my opinion and 2 cents on the topic:

- putting kids on behavior medication when they act like kids (there are cases when necessary, but I am saying it is misused)

- "equality" with regard to the family court system

- suggestion boxes (evil things)

- weight loss gimmicks

Only in the springtime though. Seldom does the monkey wear a cape

Your amex has been converted to Visa? Mine's still an amex.

The citi double cash also pays 2% cash back, for the record.

No.  I got a Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa because there were too many circumstnaces where I couldn't use Amex.  It was the only true 2% card I could find.

Interestingly, I didn't even need to invest with Fidelity.  All I had to do was open an investment account, which remains empty several years later.  Fidelity doesn't mind.  They make a ton of money on my transactions - I just get a chunk of it back.   

There isn't anything to "play" and for most things the "benefit" is for you to frequent them.  I travel a lot.  I am a Marriott Rewards member.  It costs me nothing other than the hotel room which I would have to get for all travel.  I am now a Platinum Member.  I get usually free bottles of water and a snack on my stay.  I now have enough points to get more than a free weeks stay at some very exclusive Marriott resorts.

It's not a game.  I knew I would travel a lot.  I picked a hotel chain I liked.  And I loaded up all my points in one spot so I can at some point take my family away for free.

Marriott and southwest user here. In three years of traveling and accruing points I've been able to treat my whole family incl in-laws to a nice vacation, and pretty much get upgraded wherever I stay. Worth it IMHO

No.  I got a Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa because there were too many circumstnaces where I couldn't use Amex.  It was the only true 2% card I could find.

I actually have had the Visa version for a long time, but it was always 1.5%. The Amex is now switching to Visa and going to a different issuer, so I thought that's what you meant.

Interestingly, I didn't even need to invest with Fidelity.  All I had to do was open an investment account, which remains empty several years later.  Fidelity doesn't mind.  They make a ton of money on my transactions - I just get a chunk of it back.

I do the same thing, but Fidelity isn't making any money on your transactions, I don't think. The card issuer is/was FIA (Bank of America). I'm pretty sure Fidelity just sponsors the card so that the cash back is deposited in a Fidelity account in the hopes that it will encourage people to invest there.

I've been in this game for 25+ years. Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Delta Million Miler, AA/USAir Million Miler. And, no, I don't where them as a badge of honor. It's part of the job to travel every week so I have made the best of it. 

Airline points these days are much harder to earn & harder to use. I'm not going to go into the "good ol' days" but airline miles today suck. Hotel points are a close second as they typically increase the renewal amount needed to book rooms every year. But they're essentially free to me as I am not paying for the tickets or hotel rooms.

We've had some great vacations - for free - over the past 25 years. Barbados. St. Thomas. Hawaii. St. John. St. Kitts. NYC - Ritz Carlton...and on and on. Sent my in-laws to Bermuda for a week - air & hotel. And we'll be in London in October for a week for the Skins game at Wembley. 

I usually book hotels & car rentals through shopathome to get a 2-8% kickback depending on the type of deal in place at the time of booking. I used to be able to book flights through that site but it changed a few years ago - Thanks Obama! 

Like techboy, Flyertalk.com is my go-to site for all things reward related. 

Not quite George Clooney, but I'm racking up as many points as I can for retirement. 

I'm honestly not very familiar with hotel rewards programs because I focus on airlines... I have a few Starwood points, but that's about it.

I can say with some certainy, zoony, that you are wrong about the airlines.

It makes me a little sad that you're annoyed with me, though.

I'm going to have to work hard not to let it ruin my mood when I'm flying Business class to Spain this spring. :)

jeep-wheelie-haters-gonna-hate.gif

Archived