Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Baltimore Orioles Thread - I would post something witty, but sports suck

MattFancy

Gallardo in the fold finally. 3 yrs/35 mil.

That's a really nice deal. Less money than I actually expected. He's not the same guy he used to be, but he is a solid, middle of the rotation arm and he will eat a good amount of innings.

And now it's Fowler's turn to sign on the bottom line

Didn't like the prospect of signing him but I'll take it with that deal

Agreed.  Gallardo at 3 yrs/35 mil is a lot better than Chen at 5 yrs/80 mil (with 6th year option that would make it 6 yrs/96 mil).

Sucks to give up the pick, but the system does eliminate half the potential suitors and drives down the asking price significantly, which makes a world of difference for a middle-market team like Baltimore.  And if they can sign Fowler for a 2nd rounder, that makes losing the 1st rounder a lot easier to stomach.

All things considered, you would be hard-pressed to give the O's anything less than an A- this offseason.

I hear that the O's and Fowler is discussing 2/$24M. Is Fowler a $12M a year player?

It's MLB.  Everyone is a $12 million/year player (or lots more!).

I just read that the Yankees were going to sign Tommy Hunter for 2 years, $12 million.  He failed his physical and ended up signing a smaller deal with Cleveland.  $6 million per year for Tommy Hunter!

Hearing that the deals for Gallardo and Fowler are likely done.

Buster Olney posted this a little while ago:

Let's take a look at that potential lineup again. Haha.

Fowler - RF

Machado - 3B

Jones - CF

Davis - 1B

Trumbo - DH

Wieters - C

Schoop - 2B

Kim - LF

Hardy - SS

I like that a lot.

I like that lineup too.  My one nit to pick is that you're wasting Manny's power at the 2nd hole but he needs to be there because he can get on base (and steal, too).  It'd be nice to have those two at the top of the lineup.  

I really like that lineup. If the pitching is better than last season I think we'll compete in the AL East.

Unfortunately it all comes down to the pitching and I can't get excited about it.  IMO, a lot of it hinges on Gausman stepping up and being a #1 or a stud #2.  Time to take the training wheels off and let him go.  I just don't see any reason to get excited about the staff.

It takes Manny out of the lead off role.

He gets on base.

He can take up one of the corners (not a great arm) but should be rangey add to the defense.

He has speed.

Adding him would make me feel really good about this offseason.

I'd feel a lot better about the offseason, too.  Not thrilled about Gallardo but I think he can put up Chen like production at less the cost.  At best.  

Dexter Fowler makes me feel a little bit better about the offseason.

I dunno.  It's obvious that the team is in "win now" mode but...

We didn't get any younger or leaner.  We got older and more bloated.  A rotation mashed up of 2's and 3's.  A lineup that still has issues getting on base, though Fowler helps there but we've got too many .300-.330 on base guys.  

Anyway, no one can blame this front office for not spending.  I don't want to hear a ****ing thing anymore about how this team doesn't spend enough.

Dexter Fowler makes me feel a little bit better about the offseason.

I dunno.  It's obvious that the team is in "win now" mode but...

We didn't get any younger or leaner.  We got older and more bloated.  A rotation mashed up of 2's and 3's.  A lineup that still has issues getting on base, though Fowler helps there but we've got too many .300-.330 on base guys.  

Anyway, no one can blame this front office for not spending.  I don't want to hear a ****ing thing anymore about how this team doesn't spend enough.

I agree...I still worry about the rotation, but hopefully we get a bounce back year from either Tillman or Gonzalez, and Gausman emerges and shows everyone that he's a top-of-the-rotation type of starter. 

I think we will be competitive this year. Maybe not win the ALE, but be in contention for sure.

Not forcing Manny to bat lead off will be huge. Tillman will be slightly better. I think Gonzo is done. The real question is Ubaldo IMO.

Our OF is now more solid.

The infield is still the best in baseball IMO.

Schoop is going to continue to grow.

I LOVE the Gallardo deal.  2 years with a team option for the 3rd?  It's a lot of $$, but it's about as low-risk as you can get. 

I really don't care much when it comes to the money in MLB. It's not like other sports with a salary cap. Just whether it will prevent them from signing in the future.  I don't care if the O's have to pay a lux. tax.

Things like the chris davis money looks like a lot now. In 3 years? It will not. not with the way money is being spent by other teams.

IMO: the biggest questions at the start of the season...will JJ be healthy enough to NOT be a liability. Will any of the 5 starters improve on last year? Will Weets be in early 2014 form?

People are touting the Red Sox all over the place. Meh. they didn't improve that much over the off-season. The yankees are old.

Archived