Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Baltimore Orioles Thread - I would post something witty, but sports suck

MattFancy

I was just thinking when is the last time we had a good leadoff man with legit speed.  Curtis Goodwin?  I'm taking it back with that one.  Delino DeShields?  There has to be others.  Brady Anderson was solid but then he turned into Jose Canseco and started smashing home runs.

I was just thinking when is the last time we had a good leadoff man with legit speed. Curtis Goodwin? I'm taking it back with that one. Delino DeShields? There has to be others. Brady Anderson was solid but then he turned into Jose Canseco and started smashing home runs.

No love for Brian Roberts?

They are over there falling apart at Orioles Hangout.

But the one guy had a very good point about the Orioles. When other teams agree to terms, within a day or even the same day, it's official. But when it's the Orioles, we're always "close to signing this guy", "we've agreed to terms with that guy." And it last for days. Then comes the physical which seems to always be a problem with the Orioles and now this Fowler situation.

The Oriole way of doing business burned us this time.

This very well could be true. It's just a weird situation all around.

The Orioles weren't denying that there was an agreement. Their paid employee through MASN and other media members were reporting it as fact. Fowler and his agent weren't denying it. Fowler was (apparently) texting Jones that he was signing!

So odd.

Fowler's agent sent out a "press release" about how unprofessional the Orioles were and how they spread rumors and they were never close to a deal. I just don't buy it. It sounds like a way to control the story and cover his ass.

Because the way that Theo and Fowler were acting today, something shady happened, IMO. Talking about catfishing and Theo "hatching a little plan." Maybe they were not close to a deal in their minds because they planned on pulling a fast one all along, but they led the Orioles on and made them think that one was getting done.

He complained about the rumors, but if they bothered him so much, why didn't he address them at the time? The rumors didn't benefit the Orioles at all. However they could have been used as leverage to help Fowler get back to Chicago. If he was never coming to Baltimore, why did he call Adam Jones and tell him he was?

The smear campaign against Baltimore is a little over the top, in my opinion. And it's ridiculous, because there is no way his hands are clean. He's just trying to put the spotlight on the Orioles instead on whatever he did.

I am sure some people will believe it, but I don't buy it for a second.

They are over there falling apart at Orioles Hangout.

But the one guy had a very good point about the Orioles. When other teams agree to terms, within a day or even the same day, it's official. But when it's the Orioles, we're always "close to signing this guy", "we've agreed to terms with that guy." And it last for days. Then comes the physical which seems to always be a problem with the Orioles and now this Fowler situation.

I kind of agree with this.  Casey Close's statement was stupid.  He had a day or two to come out and say "We're not close to a deal." and that's what he should have done.  

I will agree that physicals have kind of hampered us before.  

Now I'm hearing that Fowler turned down a much more substantial offer for one year with the same opt-out in November with the Cubs. Even some Cubs fans are scratching their heads.

Him and his agent are a couple of idiots.

So Fowler’s agent said his client was nowhere close to signing with the Orioles. Although he had scheduled a physical with the Orioles and had called our center fielder and said how excited he was to join the team. Sounds kinda close to me.

Also I think it’s kinda funny that he decided to dispute the media claims that Fowler was going to sign with the O’s TWO DAYS after reports surfaced about it. Not a word before then.

So Fowler’s agent said his client was nowhere close to signing with the Orioles. Although he had scheduled a physical with the Orioles and had called our center fielder and said how excited he was to join the team. Sounds kinda close to me.

Also I think it’s kinda funny that he decided to dispute the media claims that Fowler was going to sign with the O’s TWO DAYS after reports surfaced about it. Not a word before then.

Yea...the agent is clearly full of it.  Not to mention the fact that Fowler and Jones has communicated.  There are SO many holes in the story (from the agent's side). 

Seems like the agents is embarrassed by the terrible deal he got for his client. They left a lot of money on the table just by turning down the Qualifying Offer. He will make barely more for two years than if he would have taken the QO.

Seems like the agents is embarrassed by the terrible deal he got for his client. They left a lot of money on the table just by turning down the Qualifying Offer. He will make barely more for two years than if he would have taken the QO.

Good. F that guy. I hope he throws up a .198 season. 

See that we tried to trade for Markakis. Why not?

I liked Nick when he was here, but no thanks.  He's on the downside of his career, is still under a big contract, and the O's would have to part with assets because he's not a free agent.

Save the money for Manny's extension, or someone who's good for something other than nostalgia.

I liked Nick when he was here, but no thanks.  He's on the downside of his career, is still under a big contract, and the O's would have to part with assets because he's not a free agent.

Save the money for Manny's extension, or someone who's good for something other than nostalgia.

That's pretty much where I am too. He still gets on base, but he does not have much speed or power anymore and his defense is slipping. I would not have signed him to that contract last year, and I would not want to pick up the remainder of it now. I will always be a fan of his, and I would love to fill that hole in RF with someone that is going to be there everyday, but i don't know if Nick is the right fit.

I won't rule it out though, because stranger things have happened.  

Archived