Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Baltimore Orioles Thread - I would post something witty, but sports suck

MattFancy

I liked Nick when he was here, but no thanks.  He's on the downside of his career, is still under a big contract, and the O's would have to part with assets because he's not a free agent.

Save the money for Manny's extension, or someone who's good for something other than nostalgia.

Good point.

That's pretty much where I am too. He still gets on base, but he does not have much speed or power anymore and his defense is slipping. I would not have signed him to that contract last year, and I would not want to pick up the remainder of it now. I will always be a fan of his, and I would love to fill that hole in RF with someone that is going to be there everyday, but i don't know if Nick is the right fit.

I won't rule it out though, because stranger things have happened.  

Yep, exactly.  

For a pretty athletic guy who isn't a fatass, he's remarkably slow.  

Nick will always be one of my favorites but I'm just not interested in bringing him back.  

I think any potential trade for Markakis would have to involve the Braves kicking in some on that contract. But if that were to happen, I'd be for it. I'm not interested if we have to pay full price for 3 years.

That said, his OBP and OPS have acually gone up the last 3 years. If he could get on base at a .340+ clip with this lineup, I'd take it. And he takes pitches, works the count, and gets pitch counts up, which none of those other guys are gonna do.

His defensive decline is a little overstated too, IMO. Yes, he has declined, but he's basically an average defender by the metrics, not a huge liability like people would have you believe.

His defensive decline is a little overstated too, IMO. Yes, he has declined, but he's basically an average defender by the metrics, not a huge liability like people would have you believe.

Plus OPACY is a small right field. I have no worries about markakis here...just the $

I am fine with the move. We are a better team with him than without him. My biggest concern is the defense, but signing Alvarez probably means that we will see a lot of Trumbo and some Davis in right. I think that's OK. Trumbo is a decent outfielder with a strong arm, and we have seen that Davis can hold his own out there. 

One thing is for sure, we are going to be interesting to watch and we are going to hit a ton of homers. I don't think the offseason plan unfolded like the team hoped it would, but I still think this is a team that could be fun to watch and make some noise. 

Will Buck go with Davis in right, Trumbo at first and Alvarez at DH?

I think it will mostly be Trumbo in right, Davis at first and Alvarez at DH.

Since I am not smart enough to embed tweets:

Buck wouldn't talk about Pedro Alvarez, but he said Chris Davis is his first baseman no matter what happens #orioles

Archived