Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Baltimore Orioles Thread - I would post something witty, but sports suck

MattFancy

Agreed. Guy "really wants to stay in Baltimore", but he turns down $150 mil to try to squeeze out maybe another 12% from another team. Okay, sure.

Among full fledged fans of the Orioles, I think Davis and Boras have really misplayed their hand on this. The market hasn't developed for him and Cespedes for 5/100 is already a way better deal than Davis at 7/150. And it's not like Davis can sign a one year deal and try again. He's has about as good a year as he can in 15. Maybe he can show consistency on a 1 year deal, but that has never been his strong suit.

So... Yea...

I guess the lesson is you can never sign someone for less than the original offer ... so I suppose they should have started out much lower.  

Orioles payroll is now north of 140m, when you factor in likely arbitration awards.   Its unlikely we see any more major signings.   Looks like we're starting the season with a AAA starting pitching rotation  :unsure:

Guys...42m of that is deferred.  It's a GREAT deal for the team. 

The Orioles have a seven year, $161 million contract with Chris Davis, but we now know that $42 million of that money is deferred. That changes the picture a lot and makes for a better deal for the Orioles.

Link

Glad he's back.  Now he needs to produce.  Otherwise, it will be bad.  That's the nature of gigantic contracts.  

That is some solid in depth analysis. :lol:  :lol:

It's a good day to be an O's fan. I still say if one of the young kids is ready to go at first base, Davis can slide back into RF.

So what exactly does deferred money mean? Happy to have Davis back. Last season I was 1 of the few in this thread advocating bringing him back as a huge priority.

17M per season for 7 years. After that, no matter where he is playing or if he is still playing, he gets 3.5 million every year for 9 years I think then 1 million per year for another 7 years or something. Basically, the O's are paying Davis money through 2037.

That is some solid in depth analysis. :lol:  :lol:

It's a good day to be an O's fan. I still say if one of the young kids is ready to go at first base, Davis can slide back into RF.

Paid too much.  He's gonna flop, bat .245 and strike out 200+ times.  I don't like the value.

Paid too much.  He's gonna flop, bat .245 and strike out 200+ times.  I don't like the value.

I would have been good if they had signed an outfield instead, but if he plays well for the next 3 years at least, that is the real (Machado) window. Plus, the deferred money is good cause it holds the payroll down.

I believe in the chemistry of this team and I think the Trumbo trade adds another 30 HRs the team lacked out of having a quality DH. Think of Cruz of 2014. This team is going to mash. Yes, they need better starting pitching and they don't have that prototype leadoff hitter, but they will score and they have a great bullpen. This team will be in it all year long.  

Happy that Davis is back in the fold and this contract might be alright for the first few years but I shudder to think how it'll end up.  I don't want to resent Davis when he gets older.

Starting pitching is still a mess.  Hoping for bounceback seasons isn't a plan, it's...hope.  Vance Worley will most likely get starts for us and that's something to be upset about.  

I would have been good if they had signed an outfield instead, but if he plays well for the next 3 years at least, that is the real (Machado) window. Plus, the deferred money is good cause it holds the payroll down.

I believe in the chemistry of this team and I think the Trumbo trade adds another 30 HRs the team lacked out of having a quality DH. Think of Cruz of 2014. This team is going to mash. Yes, they need better starting pitching and they don't have that prototype leadoff hitter, but they will score and they have a great bullpen. This team will be in it all year long.  

Trumbo hasn't hit 30 homers since 2013.  

Happy that Davis is back in the fold and this contract might be alright for the first few years but I shudder to think how it'll end up.  I don't want to resent Davis when he gets older.

Starting pitching is still a mess.  Hoping for bounceback seasons isn't a plan, it's...hope.  Vance Worley will most likely get starts for us and that's something to be upset about.  

Trumbo hasn't hit 30 homers since 2013.  

Are you aware that he will now be playing 81 games in Camden Yard? He will hit 30.

Archived