Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blue Collar Job Interview

The 12th Commandment

Sounds like the prelude to a Jeff Foxworthy joke but I actually am kinda worried about it.  I never worked anywhere that wasn't an office since HS and I have an interview for a part time job with the local newspaper in the circulation dept.  Glorified paperboy I guess but it sounds just right.  Early mornings, good here in the NM summers for me to be done before the sun is too high.  I'm already an early riser.  I'd be delivering bundles and running papers to people that didn't get one, etc.

I'm not sure how to dress or what to expect for a nonprofessional interview.  Not sure the old standby suit and briefcase would be the way to go. Any thoughts?  Maybe a shirt with a tie, nice jeans and no jacket?  

Dress as you would for any interview. It shows them you're serious, even if you know jeans and flannel may be work wear.

In my experience, blue collar jobs value people who show up on time every day more than anything else. They can teach you whatever they need you to know so long as you're there.  if they can count on you, you're in.

~Bang

Khaki with a button down shirt or polo. No tie needed. Still make sure you're dressed cleanly.

Don't be creepy, they'll probably run out of questions about you and your interests in the position so make sure you have several questions about the position or company so that they get the impression you are interested. Don't be surprised if it's short and somewhat not by the book.

I interview many people for blue collar positions every year. Not sure of the size of the publication, if it's relatively small then they probably don't spend much time on the hiring process.

Most importantly, be laid back and make sure it comes off as though you have interest in the position.

I'd never wear jeans for an interview, I think it sends the wrong message/impression.  Even if the job is blue collar.  Strapped for cash?  One can buy a pair of cheap dress slacks, button down shirt, tie pretty cheap.  

Doesn't have to be some tailor fitted designer suit.  Dress code is after the fact, getting the job comes first.  

Yeah, negative on the jeans for sure.

When I interviewed people when I was in the grocery business, I could look past someone wearing a polo shirt, etc.  I'm not/wasn't some prick like that.  But I can also say that ones that went the extra mile and dressed up and put some effort into it caught my attention.  

Me personally, unless it was a friend hooking me up with a job at another grocery store or fast food joint, talking like, "You're hired if you want it, just fill out an application and the job is yours." kinda deal.  I always wore dress pants, button down shirt at minimum (usually a tie too).  I did skip the tie when I was younger (high school and college) once or twice.

I'd never wear jeans for an interview, I think it sends the wrong message/impression.  Even if the job is blue collar.  Strapped for cash?  One can buy a pair of cheap dress slacks, button down shirt, tie pretty cheap.  

Doesn't have to be some tailor fitted designer suit.  Dress code is after the fact, getting the job comes first.  

I should be more clear.  I'm a retired professional, have a pension, insurance and all that already so I do something like this without cash being a large part of it.  A little extra would be nice though. This job I want because it fits the bill for part time and early morning.      

I have plenty of experience both conducting and being interviewed in a professional setting and I have plenty of nice clothes.  Also have plenty of Carhart stuff from hunting and fishing.  I can exist in the blue collar scene no problem once I'm there I just don't want to come off as pretentious or anything when I talk to them.  

Valid points about the jeans, although it's a little different with jeans out here long as you're wearing cowboy boots.  But still that's not really me so kakis sounds like a good plan.  

I should be more clear.  I'm a retired professional, have a pension, insurance and all that already so I do something like this without cash being a large part of it.  A little extra would be nice though. This job I want because it fits the bill for part time and early morning.      

I have plenty of experience both conducting and being interviewed in a professional setting and I have plenty of nice clothes.  Also have plenty of Carhart stuff from hunting and fishing.  I can exist in the blue collar scene no problem once I'm there I just don't want to come off as pretentious or anything when I talk to them.  

Valid points about the jeans, although it's a little different with jeans out here long as you're wearing cowboy boots.  But still that's not really me so kakis sounds like a good plan.  

That helps out knowing that lol.  But still, if you have nice dress clothes, why wouldn't you wear a pair of kakis, button down shirt at minimum?

I guess the point I'm trying to make, in general, it never hurts to be well dressed for any interview, blue collar part-time job, full-time professional job, etc.

I don't think I've ever not worn a shirt and tie to a job interview, except for maybe as a bagger/cart boy at Food Lion back when I was in hs.

Always helped me to dress as sharp as possible, both in terms of confidence during the interview, and scoring points with the hr rep.

Worked a ton of blue collar gigs when I was in college, and never once did it seem as though people thought I was weird for dressing up. Don't care if if the job is for digging ditches, I'm wearing a shirt and tie. That's just me.

I'd never wear jeans for an interview, I think it sends the wrong message/impression. Even if the job is blue collar. Strapped for cash? One can buy a pair of cheap dress slacks, button down shirt, tie pretty cheap.

Doesn't have to be some tailor fitted designer suit. Dress code is after the fact, getting the job comes first.

Completely agree. My really good clothes are all buried in a storage unit (result of rushing around and making snap-decisions while moving), so I ended up having to buy some polo khakis and a Ralph Lauren button down at the Good Will store. $6 each.

Hey and no shame in going to a Good Will type store. Best place to shop, IMO. I don't see myself going anywhere else unless I pass a shirt at another place that I really want. The prices are bafflingly low. Just clean them joints before you actually wear 'em.

I just had a couple interviews for a blue collar job. Wasn't much different at all than the white collar job interview I had (and succeeded in). Be ready to describe biggest strength, biggest weakness, where you see yourself in 5/10 years, and something unique about you that you think you'll bring to the company.

Might not ask you that stuff, but it's good to be prepared. Good luck.

I just had a couple interviews for a blue collar job. Wasn't much different at all than the white collar job interview I had (and succeeded in). Be ready to describe biggest strength, biggest weakness, where you see yourself in 5/10 years, and something unique about you that you think you'll bring to the company.

Might not ask you that stuff, but it's good to be prepared. Good luck.

Thanks, good stuff.  I can see a potential weakness, from their perspective, in the fact I'm not after a career.  I'm going to have ponder how to deal with that honestly but not too directly I think.  

Dress comfortably and be yourself. You're not looking to add pressure. It's just "something to do" for you.

You're a great guy, don't over do it.

I have to say also, when a person isn't use to or comfortable in certain clothes and you over dress for a job, you're not going to get it, because you're not being yourself. If the job requires a tie, wear a tie. Dress like you're ready to start after the interview, but a nicer, cleaner version of those clothes.

Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've hired plenty of people in my time, but I don't remember the last "interview" I've been on. 2000 maybe?

I have to say also, when a person isn't use to or comfortable in certain clothes and you over dress for a job, you're not going to get it, because you're not being yourself. If the job requires a tie, wear a tie. Dress like you're ready to start after the interview, but a nicer, cleaner version of those clothes.

This is bad advice.  You have to keep in mind that when you are the interviewer and person deciding who will get hired, things like that really don't matter as much.  But when you are being interviewed, you have no idea (assuming you don't know them personally or through a friend) what the stranger on the other side of you is thinking.

When I worked at Food Lion and would interview people, usually it was high school or college kids, so I wouldn't not hire someone just because of their attire alone.  Experience was a bigger issue.  But not everyone is like that.  

When I got hired at my company, professional office setting, I wore dress pants, button down shirt, tie.  I didn't wear a suit coat, only because it was extremely hot when I interviewed, I had no AC in my car at the time and was sweating like a pig.  I got the job.  But I had interviewed with two co-workers and an assistant manager.  

After being there for 6-7 months, myself and a co-worker had just interviewed a guy (dressed to the T), interviewed extremely well, etc.  Anyhow, we went to the manager to tell them he was up to interview the guy.  First thing he asked us was, "Did he wear a sports coat/jacket?"  We told him yes and he immediately said, "Good thing, cause if he didn't, he wouldn't get the job.  I have a rule, always wear a suit to an interview."

I told him about my situation and that there could be a legit reason for someone not to wear a suit coat/jacket, his eyes opened up a little.  But had I interviewed with him, I'd not have gotten my job that I have now.  

There are people like that.  Then there are people like you or me that want the person to be more comfortable.  Thing is, there is no way to know which one is going to interview you.  Better to not take the risk and dress up for an interview, imo.  

If the job is important for you I would advise you definitely treat it as though it were for a white collar, professional interview. Don't give the impression you are beneath the position or company.

I'd also suggest:

During the interview, suddenly burst out of your chair, tear open the door and scream "would somebody please bring me the damn Zimmerman file! And can we get some ****ing coffee in here please!

Cut out both nipple areas on the dress shirt you will be wearing to the interview

Tell them often that in your leisure time you enjoy eating jelly sandwiches while listening to techo music

Good Luck!

It's just "something to do" for you.

I realize that, however it takes not having something to do for a while to realize just how important having something to do is.  Every bit as important for your sense of well being, or mine anyway, as money and recognition are.  Too much time to think is my trouble, try as I do to avoid it.  ;)

Anyway, I would fully intend to do the job with the same level of enthusiasm as if I were a young guy fishing for a promotion - or I wouldn't do it.  Not that you were suggesting otherwise.

You have one chance to make a first impression.

Think I might have said this in the RTT, but when I walked in to the main office with the doctors and surgeons to do my first interview, I knocked my hand in to a classy glass lamp with loose parts. Sounded like a wind chime in a storm. I was like, "OH MY GOODNESS!" The thing didn't break thank god. Then I was like, "what a great first impression." They all laughed. Then later in the day one of the surgeons came up to me and was like "I LOVED THAT, you flowed with it so well."

She's pretty hot too. I was thinkin, "oh I can flow even better than that momma."

As funny as some of these posts are, I've only had one job in my life that wasn't a "workerbee" position.  I do all interviewing for servers at my job, so I look for: CLEAN. 

Clean hands, clean face, clean smile, clean shoes.  (It's an ex-military thing, attention to detail.)   NO COLOGNE.  For everyone's sake, just smell clean.

I'm sure at your age you can put a decent outfit together.  Just make sure it's wrinkle free (a damp washcloth in the dryer with your clothes can act as an iron of sorts).

My thing is to remember that you're a representative.  Represent properly.

Hail, & good luck.

wear a suit.  Don't EVER worry about over dressing for an interview (short of something ridiculous like a tux full tails, or what-not...)  

wearing a suit to an interview doesn't mean that you are being pretentious,  it means you are taking the interview serious.   For that job, the interviewer wants the simplest, easiest clues to identify whether or not you will be reliable... giving the interviewer the impression thatyou are taking the interview seriously is the easiest way to convey that.   Telling him/her, at the interview, WHY you want THAT job would be important if you think that (s)he will think that you are overqualified (from his/her perspective the OTHER way that you could not take the job seriously is to already be looking to move on the day you are hired)

if (s)he believes that you truly want the job, and you come off as put together and serious ... its an easy choice for him/her

wear the suit

Archived