Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

31 minutes ago, visionary said:

Actually approve of something that Trump has (not) done.  

I can certainly understand the desire to vigorously enforce the law.  It's called illegal immigration for a reason.  But I can also see that, if nothing else, from a resource allocation or prioritization perspective, going after people who were brought to this country by their parents, have at least somewhat assimilated to our country, have graduated high school here, and are doing similar desirable societial things, ought to be the last group I go after.  (If at all.)  

• Like 2

Family members told local media that in some cases, their loved ones were being deported for petty crimes dating back decades. Others said they felt betrayed by President Trump.

On the campaign trail, Trump spoke with sympathy for the Christians who had been victims of violence in Iraq and Syria. And once in office, he said he'd give special status to Syrian Christians seeking asylum — while falsely suggesting that Muslims had previously been given priority.

One US-born Chaldean, 22-year-old Salvin Maroof, told MLive.com that his family had left Iraq to seek freedom. He and other Chaldean Americans voted for Trump at the urging of church leaders, he said.

"Hell yeah, I regret it," he said Sunday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/13/refugees-give-more-money-to-the-government-than-the-government-gives-to-them-study-says/?utm_term=.5988125c1069&wpisrc=nl_wonk&wpmm=1

These researchers just debunked an all-too-common belief about refugees

But a new study shows that refugees end up paying more in taxes than they receive in welfare benefits after just eight years of living in this country.

By the time refugees who entered the U.S. as adults have been here for 20 years, they will have paid, on average, $21,000 more in taxes to all levels of government than they received in benefits over that time span, according to a working paper released Mondayby the National Bureau of Economic Research that examined the economic and social outcomes of refugees in the U.S.

17 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Interesting article with lots of good statistics and a purposefully inflammatory title (and first couple paragraphs) specifically designed to make you think.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/opinion/only-mass-deportation-can-save-america.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur

Throw the bums out. 

I know what immigrants go through and they are far superior to most US born citizens. I'm still willing to hire US-born folks, but they better bring something special.

Edited by Corcaigh

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Righteous article!

It does illustrate some issues, solutions seem scarce though.

I'm curious how much the requirement of legal immigrants to invest and be contributors to society impact the results?

Perhaps we need to require more of some US born  :807:

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

I know what immigrants go through and they are far superior to most US born citizens. 

Shouldn't they be?

After all they have been largely screened and weeded out the weak....or let behind in the homeland.

:814:

comparing a culled crop to unculled usually results in inequity.

Now go make me some tax revenue. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, twa said:

Shouldn't they be?

After all they have been largely screened and weeded out the weak....or let behind in the homeland.

:814:

comparing a culled crop to unculled usually results in inequity.

You've got it backwards. They’re NOT sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They're rapists.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You've got it backwards. They’re NOT sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They're rapists.

Wait , they are sending Democrats?

:816:

• Like 5

That article above only shows three paragraphs, to me.  Link to a longer article about the same thing:  

Boston Herald:  ICE bust puts Boston’s illegal Irish on edge

Cunningham has been detained for overstaying a 90-day visa after entering the United States in 2003, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Shawn Neudauer.

. . . 

Cunningham came to the United States through the Visa Waiver Program that allows citizens in participating countries easier travel abroad — but requires them to waive any rights to be seen by a judge if they overstay. That gives Cunningham “no recourse” against deportation now that he’s detained, according to Ronnie Millar, executive director of the Boston-based Irish International Immigrant Center.

And Millar said that many of the estimated 12,000 illegal Irish immigrants in Massachusetts have overstayed the same visa and could face similar deportation.

Now, the guy's been in the country for what, 15 years?  Owns a contracting business.  Owns a home.  Former chairman of the Gaelic Athletic Association in Boston.  

The article does mention something.  

Cunningham may have caught the attention of ICE when he appeared on a television show broadcast in Ireland in March and streamed online, and proclaimed his illegal immigration status in the U.S

Part of me says I can see a good side of this.  They're not just targeting Mexicans and Muslims.  Maybe they're actually paying more attention to "illegal" than they are to racial or religious profiling.  

And I can see the notion that maybe the problem, here, isn't the enforcement, it's bad laws.  That maybe the legal and/or moral thing to do, is to enforce the bad law, and lobby for it to get changed.  

And yes, I can see the argument that if you, say, change the law to say that if an illegal spends 50 years in the US, owns his own business and buys a house, then he gets amnesty, then you've legislated a reward for successfully breaking the law.  

In short, I can see that this matter is a complicated one.  Not really sure that there's a clear, absolute, rule that resolves this issue.  

Maybe this case is a good one to start a discussion around:  

To the members of our viewing audience:  What should be done with this guy?  

Edited by Larry