Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

42 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

oh well

Is there a compelling reason why these crops can't be picked by able bodied welfare recipients? Has to be some way to take the money we throw into farm subsidies and welfare to prevent this kind of crop waste.

Maybe you could help them get bank accounts if needed. Use some money saved to give the workers additional money on top of their benefits and waive limited asset requirements for welfare while doing this. Allow them to accumulate some money to help them have emergency savings, build some initial wealth, and see a path out of permanent poverty.

Edited by Weganator
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

And the four previous

we've got some people that need jobs

Need and want to work are two different things :)

I need to get to work, yet here I sit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weganator said:

Is there a compelling reason why these crops can't be picked by able bodied welfare recipients? Has to be some way to take the money we throw into farm subsidies and welfare to prevent this kind of crop waste.

Maybe you could help them get bank accounts if needed. Use some money saved to give the workers additional money on top of their benefits and waive limited asset requirements for welfare while doing this. Allow them to accumulate some money to help them have emergency savings, build some initial wealth, and see a path out of permanent poverty.

Just pay a higher wage. Supporting illegal immigration because "they do jobs Americans won't do" is modern day slavery. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sacase said:

Just pay a higher wage. Supporting illegal immigration because "they do jobs Americans won't do" is modern day slavery. 

This is not true at all unless you think $15 an hour is modern day slavery. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article159412859.html

International workers are the backbone of the Seaside Farm Market in the remote northern Outer Banks town of Corolla. Only 500 people live there, but up to 50,000 visit every week in the summer.

But for the first time in 23 years, the family-owned produce and seafood market didn’t open this summer. Owners Bill and Julie Grandy weren’t able to get the H-2B visas they needed to bring in the workers from Mexico they’ve employed for years.

They didn’t get a single local applicant for jobs advertised at $15 per hour, Bill Grandy said, calling Corolla a “black hole” for local labor. The husband and wife have both had to take other jobs.

A person's labor is worth what they are worth on the open market, I'm not certain how wages would change in the fieldhand industry if there was no illegal labor in the US.

My point was the people who look at all of the negatives of illegal immigration and come back with "they do jobs Americans won't do" haven't even considered how much money our government already gives away and how that could be appropriated more efficiently.

Edited by Weganator

13 minutes ago, Weganator said:

A person's labor is worth what they are worth on the open market, I'm not certain how wages would change in the fieldhand industry if there was no illegal labor in the US.

My point was the people who look at all of the negatives of illegal immigration and come back with "they do jobs Americans won't do" haven't even considered how much money our government already gives away and how that could be appropriated more efficiently.

There are many people trying to do it through legal visas and the government is being slow to give them out. 

Edited by Hersh

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

This is not true at all unless you think $15 an hour is modern day slavery. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article159412859.html

Owners Bill and Julie Grandy weren’t able to get the H-2B visas they needed to bring in the workers from Mexico they’ve employed for years.

They didn’t get a single local applicant for jobs advertised at $15 per hour

So which is it....they couldn't get workers or couldn't get visas for workers???

Both?

Tis a poor business model

5 minutes ago, twa said:

So which is it....they couldn't get workers or couldn't get visas for workers???

Both?

Tis a poor business model

Both. They've had zero problems for 23 years. I guess you can blame the owners if it's easier. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'd feel less sympathy for them if they weren't offering a pretty solid seasonal wage at $15 an hour. 

in a place that is out of the way and unpopulated

7 minutes ago, twa said:

in a place that is out of the way and unpopulated

Small permanent population but those places get packed in the summer. Very popular in NC. Not sure of the specific work to be done but I'm surprised college students living at the beach in the summer don't jump on that.