Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

"The myth, which liberals like myself find tempting, is that only the right has changed. In June 2015, we tell ourselves, Donald Trump rode down his golden escalator and pretty soon nativism, long a feature of conservative politics, had engulfed it. But that’s not the full story. If the right has grown more nationalistic, the left has grown less so. A decade ago, liberals publicly questioned immigration in ways that would shock many progressives today."

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/the-democrats-immigration-mistake/528678/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, visionary said:

LOL....  This is not funny but then again, it is.  Politicians, on either side, hate to see this kind of support.  It's the proverbial skunk in the punch bowl but I don't think it's fair to say that because the KKK supports one side or another, that it reflects the views or beliefs of whomever might be the target of that support. 

JMO

Oh good.  

In theory this ruling could have been worse (though it should have been much better). But it looks pretty bad to just do this before reviewing.  In practice and implementation...especially if Trump or other officials tell them to ignore the exceptions...it's likely going to be a ****ing ****show. 

It might not be as widespread as it could be though, since we've cut back on issuing visas in the first place.

Edited by visionary

Didn't see the part about close family. I feel like you give Trump an inch and he's going to take a mile. Supreme Court was pretty vague on what constitutes as a bona fide relationship. Can students from those countries come in if they don't have family relationship? Does that count as business ties? The court needs to strike it down. Do not assume Trump is like any other President.

10 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Didn't see the part about close family. I feel like you give Trump an inch and he's going to take a mile. Supreme Court was pretty vague on what constitutes as a bona fide relationship. Can students from those countries come in if they don't have family relationship? Does that count as business ties? The court needs to strike it down. Do not assume Trump is like any other President.

I take it you didn't see this earlier, but you are absolutely correct. Grandparents or fiancées don't count as "close relationships" apparently. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I take it you didn't see this earlier, but you are absolutely correct. Grandparents or fiancées don't count as "close relationships" apparently. 

This is really stupid and cruel (and at least partially the Supreme Court's fault for not thinking this **** through).  A lot of people are raised by aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.  

10 hours ago, visionary said:

This is really stupid and cruel (and at least partially the Supreme Court's fault for not thinking this **** through).  A lot of people are raised by aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.  

They are going by the current definitions used for brining in family members for green cards. Pretty sure you cannot sponsor your grandparents for a Greencard.

Edited by sacase