Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I was unaware that @twa felt America has a responsibility make sure all illegal immigrants have all the first world “bare basics” that Americans enjoy.

You don't "enjoy" soap.  

You can got back in this thread like 10-15 pages and not see him touch this topic because his focus is pointing out the hypocrisy he sees overall or calling out situations overblown or misrepresented.  I don't always agree with him, but he acts like a speed bump to make sure we aren't uncontrollably rolling downhill on something, does it all the time in the gun control thread, but it doesn't really fly in the climate change thread.  Doesn't mean I haven't snapped on him, I just see his views in a perspective that I don't see yours.

He can speak for himself on if he thinks little kids should go weeks without a shower, but what's your excuse?  That they don't have plumbing in Latin America?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Id just like to point out that this ruling is completely valid and “legal” under United States law.  So, it’s a bit confusing to see the “illegal” crew opposing it.  After all...it’s the law.

I don’t oppose the outcome of the court case.

I oppose calling it a “sad” that they don’t have access to hygiene products in America as if it is some sort of god given right...

it’s inconvenient at worst. Kids have been surviving for quite a while without soap, toothpaste, and deodorants. It isn’t ideal, but it’s far from a travesty.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

50 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Id just like to point out that this ruling is completely valid and “legal” under United States law.  So, it’s a bit confusing to see the “illegal” crew opposing it.  After all...it’s the law.

actually it is more carrying the force of law rather than actual law.

https://cis.org/Report/History-Flores-Settlement

Congress could fix many of these issues....but they don't.

^^speaking of all that, fun coincidence that general disappointment empty-uniform kelly and betsy satanspawn devos and erik pondscum prince and other rich gopers around the don since 2015 and then more after are not only heavily invested in private prisons but also went heavily into these privately owned immigration detention facilities and contracting all sorts of other support services to bp and ice, heavily ramping up since 2016.....lucky business is so good these days....

it's fun playing conspiracy theory, so here's another one :evil:

given the noted projection that's so fundamental to trumpo and co,  think of how he's gone on and on about the caravans being created and driven up here by the wealthy dems to create chaos and rape and pillage...but maybe it's don doing it :huh: 

it's what don's bff vald used as a model to mess with much of europe (work with forces where outcomes would include generating millions of refugees to strain their governments)....so vlad gets some oligarchs to help out, and some of don's backers add resources, and they blow up the size and frequency of the caravans (and any other migrant groups) as much as they can

generating what don and co sees as great headlines, and makes vlad happy for obvious destabilization reasons while also making tens of millions of dollars for don's cronies, plus keeps little stevie miller and his base happily prosecuting the case of what a serious dangerous problem all these brown folks pouring in are, and that we have to get seriously harsh in dealing with them and many of the ones already here  by rounding all them up too 🤫

5 minutes ago, twa said:

We obviously need to revamp asylum laws and such to defeat this evil plot.

calling the plan evil is an unneeded value judgement and puts all parties involved in a problematic frame that will resist or hamper desired change

at the asylum i'd approach it as simply making appropriate adjustments in cognition and behavior that facilitate desired change

with my newly unshackled tool box now that i'm retired, i currently prefer making those adjustments with actual tools

it's nosier and messier, but it goes much faster

• Haha 2

I liked the article about the number of people who showed up at the job fair after the raids. It was estimated at 25 to 30. 

I keep saying it. We need more immigrants, not less. People will point to the trade war as a cause of any recession we go through.  They wont be wrong, but everyone seems to miss the economic growth we are currently losing due to an inability to fill job openings.  We throw away another gift of geography, being right next to the only first world country in the world without am aging workforce problem. They send us workers. We moan, complain, and send them back.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gbear said:

I liked the article about the number of people who showed up at the job fair after the raids. It was estimated at 25 to 30. 

I keep saying it. We need more immigrants, not less. People will point to the trade war as a cause of any recession we go through.  They wont be wrong, but everyone seems to miss the economic growth we are currently losing due to an inability to fill job openings.  We throw away another gift of geography, being right next to the only first world country in the world without am aging workforce problem. They send us workers. We moan, complain, and send them back.

Gotta say, granted I'm an economic idiot.  (My economic credentials is that I got a D in Econ 101, 40 years ago.)  But

Every time I see somebody saying that we need more workers, or that employment is too good, or things along that lines, what I hear is "OMG!  If we're not careful, trickle down economics might start to trickle down.  And we cannot allow this economy to result in the price of labor going up!"   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Louisiana Parish Jailed a U.S. Citizen for Being Latinx. We’re Suing.

Ramon Torres had been a U.S. citizen for nearly ten years when he was detained for four days on an immigration hold – despite having a U.S. passport, a Louisiana driver’s license, and a Social Security card, and despite that fact that a court ordered his release. 

Torres’ ordeal began in August 2018, when he was pulled over and arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. Torres, a naturalized U.S. citizen since 2009, was carrying multiple forms of identification, including his driver’s license and other security credentials. Torres was booked at the Ascension Parish Jail, and the next day the Parish Court ordered his release.

But Torres wasn’t released. Instead, the Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office placed an “immigration hold” on Torres on the suspicion that he was unlawfully present in the United States.

The basis for this suspicion? He had a Latinx name and brown skin.  Staff at the sheriff’s office explained that they had a policy of detaining all Latinx people for immigration review.

When his friends and family tried to intervene and provide additional documentation proving that Torres is a U.S. citizen, officials in the sheriff’s office still didn’t budge.

Torres spent four days in jail before a lawyer’s involvement finally secured his release.

This was a flagrant violation of Torres’ constitutional rights, and this week the ACLU of Louisiana sued on his behalf.

Click on the link for the full story

• Sad 1

I am more and more convinced that this administration is intentionally just ****ing up any thing they can.  Both because the only people they can attract to this administration are bullies looking for power, and because it delights the Deplorables.  

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

I am more and more convinced that this administration is intentionally just ****ing up any thing they can.  Both because the only people they can attract to this administration are bullies looking for power, and because it delights the Deplorables.  

At this point I think Trump himself is just a delusional nut mixed with a high level of narcissism. The problem is, everyone around him is enabling his nonsense.  

It is obvious that Trump just wants this wall as a "monument" to himself.  He thinks that if he gets this monstrosity up, it will stay up even if future administrations were/are against it.  He wants something that he can point to for the rest of his life to say "Look I did that" 

Then you have Barr's Justice Department actively looking the other way at everything Trump does by either ignoring it, or shutting down any attempt at oversight. 

It is a very sad commentary on the gov't at large that this is being allowed.

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

That’s how cults work.  The cult leader always has to keep upping the ante.  His followers are forced to defend it and thereby move further and further away from reality, from friends, from family.  They isolate themselves.

Works like a charm...

• Thanks 1