Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

First affidavit had the kid arriving in 2017.  A bunch of other stuff seems fated 2016.  Something was from 2014.

From what I can tell almost all of it revolves around Shiloh, which is what the class action seems to be about so that makes sense.

I am retroactively outraged at Bush for this seemingly being a wider policy pre-2008, retroactively outraged at Obama and Trump for allowing Shiloh to stay open, and presently outraged at Trump for the same.

My big concern at the moment is now finding out how widespread this is aside from Shiloh.

This seems like the kind of thing Miller would gleefully implement, and that scares me, because transparency has been lacking.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

your failure is thinking that simply being alive is the end all be all. 

Using arguments of morality to support anti-abortion positions then throwing any learning of morality out the window for anything else is a lack of morality. You're immoral. You claim to love God and follow his teachings but you've failed at that. Failed Christians. His judgement will be fierce. 

Me and God will discuss it later, till then not killing them w/o need is a good starting point.

your objection to that stance is noted.

19 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I just went through the first five attachments of the court filing and examined every date in the court listing. The earliest date was in 2016 and the latest in 2018. The first five attachments all stipulated cases where the actions in question took place from 2016 onwards.

Did you really read all 89 documents over the last hour?

Attachment 1 - 2/22/2016

Attachment 2 - 2/2016 - 3/2016

Attachment 3 - 5/12/016

Attachment 4 - 4/4/2016 (about drugs prescripted in March of 2016)

Attachment 5 - A summary of early 2016 for this person

Attachment 6 - no date?

Attachment 7 - April 2016

Attachment 8 - November 2016

Attachment 9 - December of 2016 (list of medications throughout 2016, as early as July)

- Second page of stuff from June of 2016

Attachment 10 - dated December 2016

Attachment 11 - January 2017

In short, no, all 5 of the first attachments are from 2016. None are from later as far as the details go, though the summaries may have been filed later. I had to go to 11 just to find something in 2017. And 11 is the only one. The next one, listed as Exhibit 30, is from 2014. And his ridiculous story of forced drugs doesn't come to an end until November of 2016.

Attachment 11 plus the affidavit, like @DogofWar1 said, is from 2017.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

My big concern at the moment is now finding out how widespread this is aside from Shiloh.

Correct.

Long term this should be investigated to see who under each administration knew what. And whether people from the administration or Shiloh or any agency should be going to jail.  I don't know that they broke laws, it just seems like this should have been illegal... 

This goes to show how broken our immigration system has been, and against the bs some want to make it some sort of new thing.

• Like 1

Americans have a short memory.  And, in part because of the sheer, breathtaking volume, it is easy to forget all the indignities foisted on us over the last 17 months, starting Day One with his bizarre, dystopian inaugural speech and the lying about the size of the crowd on the Mall to witness it.

However, I pray that in November, and again in 2020, right-thinking  Americans can stretch their memory cells to keep this shameful episode in mind - of ripping families apart - when they go to the ballot box.  Because it crystallized who Donald Trump is and the type of people he surrounds himself with.  He has damaged the moral fabric of this nation, and he, along with all of his sycophants and enablers, need to go.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, brandymac27 said:

So, how does this help families who have already been separated?

Good question.  I'm curious what changes will actually happen after this and how/if the executive order will be implemented.  

Edited by visionary

3 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

I'm not holding my breath that anything positive will come from this.

At best maybe it doesn't get worse, for now.

It lets our leaders kick the can a little longer, let us get distracted by something else. It's a tactic proven to work.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

At best maybe it doesn't get worse, for now.

It lets our leaders kick the can a little longer, let us get distracted by something else. It's a tactic proven to work.

Well, from what's been reported on the news, at the current rate of families being detained, they are going to run out of space at their family detention centers in just 8 days. And if anything that rate would only increase not drop, since the zero tolerance is still in effect.

Further, keeping them at detention centers keeps them in ICE hands which has a very poor track record compared to HHS.

• Like 1

image.png.d77f7c1e7ee7c34676be5010b542d8c2.png

WOW- Cohen takes swipe at Trump- "...the images and sounds of this family separation policy is heart wrenching,” Cohen wrote to RNC. “While I strongly support measures that will secure our porous borders, children should never be used as bargaining chips." https://abcn.ws/2ys01XR 

~~~~
Michael Cohen, the moral compass of the Trump Administration.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, twa said:

For everyone who spent the last 2 or 3 weeks talking about Trump didn't have to enforce the law and it was all discretion....keep that in mind if he tells some district court to go to hell when they insist on enforcing Flores.

I support a secured border (not a stupid wall), but let's not confuse prosecutorial discretion of the executive with abiding by a court ratified consent decree.

Perhaps a reasonable solution would be to simply cite a first time offender and release them on south of the border with no detention.  Catch, cite, fingerprint, and release.  If they are caught again, they can be charged with a felony.  Combine that with allowing asylum application only at consulates and voluntary presentment to border check point, not after being caught illegally crossing.  Then if we can increase the staff for asylum review and immigration judges with a strong prima facie showing required for release into US pending approval, we should be able avoid the need for prolonged detention in asylum cases while not allowing it to be used as a loophole.

• Like 3