Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - Saints at #Redskins (Final with Photos)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - Saints at #Redskins

11/15/15

22660214709_4ee1fc0ac6_b.jpg

VICTORY!!!

Redskins 47 - 14 Saints

Hello everybody! JimmiJo here (finally), ready to bring you today's goings on. I believe I am paired up with Spaceman Spiff. That's what the schedule said preseason. The name card next to mine says Murf however. I'll let you know who I run into.

My fear is that with too many must wins, the must win effect fades. But this is where we are. At 3- the Redskins have no choice but get a V today if they expect to have a chance this season. 

And let me say I get this is a rebuilding project that will take at least a few seasons. I understand the need for patience. But how often do you get an NFC East this bad? And you have to think that if Washington can just hang around .500 they have a shot at the playoffs. Yes, in this crappy division it is ok to use the 'P'-word at 3-5.

Big thanks to TK for posting the thread. Speak among yourselves...

Full Disclosure: I've got Redskins winning today. I expect them to score 28 or more points (they will need to to win). Key is getting started early. Pray for defense.

Follow along on Twitter @Skinscast

ANNOUNCEMENT OF INACTIVES

LANDOVER, Md. – The Washington Redskins have announced the following inactives and lineup changes for today’s game against the New Orleans Saints:

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III
o No. 12 WR Andre Roberts
o No. 47 CB Quinton Dunbar
o No. 52 LB Keenan Robinson
o No. 73 DE Frank Kearse
o No. 74 G Arie Kouandjio
o No. 85 TE Anthony McCoy

No. 51 Will Compton is expected to start in place of Robinson at linebacker.

The Saints declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 3 QB Matt Flynn
o No. 27 CB Damian Swann
o No. 53 LB Ramon Humber
o No. 57 LB David Hawthorne
o No. 59 LB Dannell Ellerbe
o No. 71 DT Kaleb Eulls
o No. 76 T Tony Hills

No. 56 Michael Mauti is expected to start in place of Ellerbe at linebacker.

Half

Man today has been a lot of fun. Offense like crazy and just a little defense to give the Redskins the edge. Here's to a solid second half and victory.

Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extremeskins/albums/72157660518026419

JimmiJo

Let me clear up one thing. My partner today was Murf, and damn is he sexy these days!

So I'm wracking my brain trying to remember the last time I've seen such a complete effort from Washington. I've covered some big wins, but nothing as dominating as 47-14. 

The Redskins were magnificent across the board; offense, defense, teams. The stats affirm a solid victory for Washington:

- 22 first downs to 16 for New Orleans

- 6/11 on 3rd down or 55% compared to 4/11 36%

- 514 total yards to 350

- 324 yards passing verses 209

- 213 yards rushing against 158

- 2 turnovers to 0

- Time of possession 33:34 - 26:26

Game ball has got to go to Kirk Cousins. His 20/25 for 324-yards, four touchdowns and a perfect passer rating of 158.3 is good for first among all quarterbacks this year who has thrown more than 20-passes in a game. Cousins was dynamite early, hitting DeSean Jackson for 41-yards on his first throw. He went 9/9 before missing anyone. And as good as he was in the first half, when the Redskins hung up 27 points, he was just as good in the second half, leading the offense to another 16 points while Washington ran away with it.

Cousins connected with an impressive nine different receivers on the day, with no play bigger than the 78-yard screen to Matt Jones for the score.

Cousins was helped by a running game that finally got going, led by Alfred Morris. Morris looked his old self as he ran through tackles on his way to 92-yards on 15 carries. Behind him was Jones with 56-yards on 11 carries. Chris Thompson contributed 54-yards on just 2 attempts (featuring a 38-yard scamper).

Rookie Jamison Crowder led the receivers with four catches for 60-yards and a touchdown. The aforementioned Jones tallied 131-yards and his touchdown. And Jordan Reed put up 29-yards on 3 receptions but two were for touchdowns.

Defensively the Redskins made big plays when they had to. Dashon Golston's pick-six iced the game and was a huge moment. As was Perry Riley's one-arm grab on a play you hope turns his season around. Washington likewise added two sacks, one of which was a Drew Breez sandwich until his helmet popped off.

Washington had to have this win to maintain hopes of a season. 3-6 would have been a bridge-too-far. The fact that both Dallas and Philadelphia lost today only helps matters. Hopefully New England can make it a clean sweep of the rest of the division.

At a minimum, the Redskins are an improved team. How do I know? They've already matched last season's win total with seven games left to play. You couldn't imagine last year's team hanging 47 on anyone. This offense clicks now.

What does this mean big picture? For me, it means there is no longer a quarterback controversy. I wrote in this month's Warpath Magazine about the division among fans of Kirk and Robert. I have to believe that is finished now and the majority of fans now agree with coach's decision to start Kirk.

The road ahead gets no easier, with Washington on the road next week against a perfect Carolina Panthers. But you have to feel that if they can give this sort of effort, they have a chance.

Had a great time folks! Talk soon...

Is it dumb that because we're playing a bad D, I'm afraid we waste a lot of time trying to establish a running game that isn't working rather than doing the obvious thing and eventually putting the game in Kirk's hands vs. a terrible pass D? Especially with our receiving weapons?

Do or die today.

Oh boy, I have a choice:  DeSean against the Saints or Cooper against the Vikings.  Is DeSean 100%?

Amari had his way with Revis, they just didn't need him all that much.

And if Derek Carr's last name was "Scrotum" he was the 1st pick in the draft in my opinion. 

Take that for what it's worth.

I really hope that Cousins, if he has to improvise, does better than the guy "singing" the national anthem.  That was, ouch.

Oh boy, I have a choice:  DeSean against the Saints or Cooper against the Vikings.  Is DeSean 100%?

Maybe too late now, but Cooper all day.  That offense is averaging something like 36 points in the past three games.  This is Jackson's third game of the year.

I predict there will be 0 combined "3 & outs" from these two teams today.

...come on. we're the redskins. we're bound to have one drive on offense end with an interception, one drive on offense end with a fumble, one drive on offense end with a drive killing penalty, one drive on defense end with a TD due to a 3rd and long getting a 1st down. happens every game.

Archived