Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hail To The Trenches

Larry

I have to say, I've been REALLY impressed with our lines, on both sides of the ball, in both games.

I had hopes that maybe our new OL could be good (I didn't even dare to hope for great), LATE in the year. After they'd played together for a while. Built some chemistry and things.

I really didn't expect them to look remotely this good, first two games. Especially considering the talent we were up against.

My attitude for these two games was "well, they're rookies. They're gonna get owned. But maybe they'll get their learning out of the way, early. And they'll look better, later, against lesser competition".

And instead, we've had a dominating running game, two weeks in a row, with two different RBs.

I don't know if it's the new OL coach, or the new talent, or maybe a different offensive strategy from the HC. But the results sure are obvious.

And as to the defense, I really haven't thought we looked like Top 10 or anything. (Although in terms of points given up, we might be). But the impression I've got is that our pass rush, without stunts or jailbreaks or gimmicks like that, has been VASTLY improved.

Again, I don't know if it's new talent. (Didn't seen to see Knighton much, second half). (And I have had the impression that Hatcher seems to make our D better, too). Or coaching.

But my admittedly amateur impression is that were getting a much better results from our Big Guys. (In fact, that our base pass rush might be giving us the flexibility to give a not really great secondary some help).

Just overall, I think we've dominated the LoS, these two games. I think that's been the huge difference.

I agree with this. The right side of our offensive line is essentially two rookies playing together and doing quite well. The interior of the line has not been pushed back into Kirk's face and he has done a very nice job of navigating the pocket when necessary. Our line likes to push forward instead of back. That physicality will come in handy when the weather gets rough.

Our defense line is massive. Having a true nose tackle really makes a HUGE difference in the overall look and flexibility of the unit. It is nice that we also have depth where our DLine doesn't have to be so exhausted by the end of the game.

The o line is doing really well overall. Scherff and Moses are not a liability despite their inexperience, Williams has been very good, Lavaou was noticed several times today for downfield blocks, and Litch must be doing all right because I haven't noticed him at all.

Defensively, McCloughan's pick ups plus Baker and Hatcher seem to be holding strong.

Hail to the Trenches indeed. Finally, some meat and potatoes instead of a diet of pastry.

We have to keep investing in the lines.  More draft picks and more smart free agent signings.  If we ever can get to the point where both lines are great and deep this organization will start to turn around.  Everyone else on the field has a much easier time developing and succeeding if lines can win consistently. 

Also I think Kirk is helping the line shine.  He's not playing great, or even really all that good, but he's getting the ball out and not having a mountain of criticism falling on the line for sacks helps. 

Agree on all points, except Lauvao got manhandled today, & made a couple of boneheaded mistakes.

I believe Kouanjio will take his spot by week 6 or so, but otherwise our OL played extremely well.

The DL was just plain dominant, & i don't think the Rams were prepared for it. There shouldn't be any surprises this week though, so let's see how we do against a prepared Giants team who seems to have our number of late.

HAIL

Agree on all points, except Lauvao got manhandled today, & made a couple of boneheaded mistakes.

I believe Kouanjio will take his spot by week 6 or so, but otherwise our OL played extremely well.

The DL was just plain dominant, & i don't think the Rams were prepared for it. There shouldn't be any surprises this week though, so let's see how we do against a prepared Giants team who seems to have our number of late.

HAIL

Lauvuo was out front as a road grader

Super impressed with the line on both sides. Once Preston gets comfortable he's gonna be a terror. Paea flashed today and so did Murphy Baker and Moses. We are a little long in the tooth on the DL so I hope we keep rotating. Really encouraged with the physicality and consistency from bodes sides. Have a plan and see it through.

This effort and W should encourage the lines to continue to impose their will on guys paid a lot of money to stop it but just flat out can't. Hoping they seize the moment and take the Giants to the deep end and watchem sink.

There's a quote in the twitter thread, from Litch. But it's not a quote, it's a picture of a quote, and we're not supposed to quote pics.

But basically, he said that games like today are an offensive lineman's dream. To me able to run over the other guy. Even when he knows you're going to do it.

And that things like this can really help a unit's identity. 

(I sure hope he's right.)  :)

Archived