Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hail To The Trenches

Larry

Lauvuo was out front as a road grader

Not often enough to overcome his mistakes. It's picking knits, but i am going to be critical of the OL....it's one of the 2 positions i know intimately.

Only reason Kouandjio isn't starting now is because he has to get better at picking up protections on stunts/blitzes.

Not wanting to take too much away from the win, but Lauvao was a rare smudge on an otherwise beautiful performance all around.

What he did well (road grating), Kouandjio can do as well...if not better, & i await the day he gets his chance to join this young, & physical OL.

I cant remember the last time the D gave up 10 points in back to back games, they look nasty.

The '04-05 defense but they were a different animal, they were on the field a lot more than this one was, they've been good because they havent been asked to do a ton in terms of being on the field a lot. If you could see the '04 defense they were asked to do much much more and played like animals... I was so proud of that defense..

Luavuo was definitely the weak link on the line, I think both sacks and the biggest pressure came from him.  Other than that the DLine looked great, getting constant pressure, and the OLine not only opened holes, but held up really well.

Basically the DLine covered up the deficiencies in the secondary, and the OLine made the game much easier for Kirk.

Shout out to Taze and his tirades about the lines for years...they are finally getting where they should have been for a few years now.

Not saying this team is anything like the Patriots, but I recall a draft when they drafted Logan Mankins...after they already had a dominant line and won a Super bowl.

This team just has to keep building.

The lines are how you build a dynasty.

They've played admirable over the first two games, regardless of outcome.

Yep agreed. I wouldn't even be the slightest upset if we took yet another Offensive Tackle with our number one in 2016. If the lines are good, the rest will follow. We won three Superbowls with three different quaterbacks, none of which are in the Hall of Fame, because of The Hogs.

Would be really cool to have a D Line answer to The Hogs.

I will say it over and over, but this is vintage Redskins football. This style, and identity led to 2 decades of dominance from 1972-1991.

I am not sure we have the depth to keep this up all year, but I am hoping the org digs in and sticks with this going forward

[Emphasis mine]

Couldn't agree more & couldn't be happier.  The Offensive Line has been a pleasant surprise (so far) this season.  As these things go, there may be the occasional Sunday struggles, but now we can finally regard our Blockers as a Team Strength.  Damn, it feels good to say that again!

SkinsHokieFan hit it on the money:  THIS is vintage Redskins Football!  I love it!

This game is won and lost in the trenches and right now ours looks formidable. It is a pleasant change, Bill Callahan already needs a raise for the O-Line play. Depth on the D-Line is very evident to me, if we can keep these 2 units healthy we give ourselves a chance and that is all you can ask for.

Only if he can play guard. I'm liking the play of Morgan Moses at RT so far.

Which means he'll probably go down with a season ending injury on Thursday.

Such is the way a Redskins fan must think.

Even more reason to have depth. I remember listening to Jeff Bostic on the radio the other day talking about the Redskins Hogs days from the 80s and 90s. He said that even their backups were Pro Bowlers and could start on many teams at the time, so they didn't fear injury.

I will say it over and over, but this is vintage Redskins football. This style, and identity led to 2 decades of dominance from 1972-1991.

I am not sure we have the depth to keep this up all year, but I am hoping the org digs in and sticks with this going forward

Exactly!! Even in the era of Gregggggg Williams it was all about deception and blitzing anyone from anywhere. Watching SF and Seattle over the last few years I always felt they played Redskins football. The QB is not spectacular but solid and the team just overpowers you.

I went back two years ago when we fell apart and watched our last super bowl win. Immediately the thing that jumped out was our D-Line. Kelly hit his back foot and had to move immediately all the time. And we were rushing four.

Our defensive front is looking legitimate and we are pounding the ball on offense. We are doing this with special teams and turnovers not going our way. Exciting!!

Trenches looking good. Focussing on OL draftpicks, getting Callahan is proving the key to winning for this team. I love it. Scheriff and Moses are looking like they are developing very nicely.

I was down on Joe Barry but he's proving me wrong, and upgrading our DL via free agency is paying off as well. The secondary is not as much a viability as it was at the moment. Breeland and Goldson do make a difference back there, but the pressure of the DL is the big difference maker.

Looking forward to seeing the season develop and seeing if running the ball and big pressure on defense can win enough games, I believe it can if mistakes are limited.

There's a quote in the twitter thread, from Litch. But it's not a quote, it's a picture of a quote, and we're not supposed to quote pics.

But basically, he said that games like today are an offensive lineman's dream. To me able to run over the other guy. Even when he knows you're going to do it.

And that things like this can really help a unit's identity. 

(I sure hope he's right.)  :)

The only thing that could make a day like that better for OL is to have no 3 and out series.

He's right about the effect a great OL game can have on the unit. When they watch film and the team sees the holes opening up and/or the good pass pro the non-OL guys and coaches will be giving the OL props. That definitely helps your identity as an OL.

HTTT! HTTR!!!

Whomever decided to surprise the Rams with the three tight end set with Lauvao pulling to lead deserves a lot of credit for yesterday's running success. Jay has taken lots of hits, but yesterday we got a big win on the coaching front. We surprised an opponent! I hope we can come up with a new wrinkle for the Giants on Thursday. 

Archived