Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are nootropics snake oil or the real deal?

Springfield

So, in case you haven't heard of nootropics, here's a wiki article about them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

Why I started this thread? Well a couple of reasons.

First, in the following link that Mufumonk posted (really just to bust Jumbo's balls), one of the items marked as "manly" was a subscription service to nootropics.

What could be more manly than being endorsed by the Art of Manliness?

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/12/01/subscription-services-for-men/

Second, I've got a coworker who swears by the stuff. He takes a product called Alpha Brain. He says it puts him in a better mood, makes him sharper and better equipped to handle his job. I always stacked it up to a placebo effect.

Third, it seems like an extension of holistic medicine which isn't very widely tested and can sometimes contain some sort of "gotcha" science, placebo effects and just pure luck.

So.

Does anyone take these nootropics? Do they work as advertised? Are they safe?

It seems that this is an extremely loose term that is used generically to encompass all sorts of supplements, etc.From what I've read I don't think they're all necessarily "snake oil" that rely completely on the placebo effect, but if you pay more for them than you would a double shot of espresso and a couple vitamins you overpaid. That basically seems to be the main ingredient that actually has any real effect...a stimulant.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-pied-piper-of-nootropics/

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/alpha-brain-whats-wrong-with-the-supplement-industry/

Most of this stuff is just "supplements". Not prescribed.

When I was younger, I was big on supplements.  I used to take all kinds of stuff (I mentioned in another thread my parents were once Herbalife reps which might have started me on supplements).  I started taking pills from a company (wish I remembered their name) that came in packets (many companies do this).  Each packet contained vitamins and minerals and natural mood supplements.  You took 3 packets a day so the morning mood supplements help with alertness and energy while the nighttime supplements had pills to calm you, help you sleep.

I started having what I will say now what I would consider to be panic attacks...although I have no idea what a panic attack is, that's what I felt, panicked and nervous and crazy to some respect.  I had two or three of these "attacks" before I decided to quit the supplements.  I now just take some vitamins, if anything.

You can't trust most of these supplements you buy off the shelf even at well known vitamin sellers.  Your body also doesn't need it.  But I get it, every kid is looking for an advantage.  Based on my experience with those mood drugs, all these prescribed kids and shootings makes me wonder how much of it is due to mood enhancing pills.

Oh and I never had another one of those "attacks" but I can remember them well.

Oh I don't disagree. I wasn't saying that as a proponent of "supplements". I think that whole industry is crawling with shady characters and products, mostly because if you're selling a "supplement" it doesn't have to pass any real FDA regulations as long as you know how to word your claims on the bottle or whatever. I stay pretty far away from that stuff.

I'm a neuroscientist but know next to nothing about the contents of most nootropics. That said, based on my quick survey of the literature I'd be pretty skeptical. Not to say the ingredients in these ****tails aren't neuroactive and have been shown to have positive effects individually, but there don't seem to be any legitimate and published double-blind studies demonstrating they're any better than placebo.

That said, if it's placebo and it's working for you, go for it. 

Yeah, most of the stories of the efficacy of these kinds of supplements are anecdotal in nature. While that doesn't mean its necessary wrong, anecdotal evidence is far from being anything scientific. And just because a really smart person says it works for them doesn't mean they're right about it or understands how it works. Steve Jobs thought eating nothing but fruit was a great idea, there are scientists who are also creationists, etc.

It is mostly snake oil in my opinion (Molecular Neuroscience PhD).

Nootropic ingredients generally tend to be either a neurotransmitter (the primary nerve to nerve signaling molecules) or precursors to neurotransmitters (building blocks of these neurotransmitters). They also contain enzymes that effect metabolic pathways as well.

But the reality is that unless you have a major dietary inadequacy, these supplements won't do much for you.

Alpha Brain is a pretty good example of this. It contains a precursor molecule for the synthesis of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. However, unless you have a deficiency in choline production to begin with, this supplement will do nothing for you. In a healthy adult, the limiting function in memory and cognition is likely not an issue with reduced acetylcholine production and boosting it will not have the desired effect. And it's shady and downright fraudulent that on the marketing website for Alpha Brain, they cite a study for the effectiveness of Alpha Brain, that examines GPC (precursor molecule for acetylcholine) effects on patients who suffered stroke and ischemic attacks. However, not only are these people in a diseased state, they are also given doses much higher than what the Alpha Brain supplement would give you.

My issue with these nootropics comes down to the fact that there is little to no sufficient and long term data that backs a lot of their claims. Some of them are able to escape regulatory approval due to their labeling.

And ultimately the effects in the ones that have been extensively tested have shown that positive effects are mostly seen in brains in a diseased state vs. healthy state. Modanafil is a pretty good example of this. Clinical studies show that people with ADHD see a positive gain in cognitive function but healthy brain states don't, and in fact see a negative change in cognition.

My advice would be to tread very carefully and just avoid them for now.

Second, I've got a coworker who swears by the stuff. He takes a product called Alpha Brain. He says it puts him in a better mood, makes him sharper and better equipped to handle his job. I always stacked it up to a placebo effect.

Replace "Alpha Brain" with "coffee" and this makes me a nootropics ADDICT.

Archived