Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tony Wylie Thread

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Snyder reportedly claimed that he never read the infamous McKenna City Paper article and it was Wyllie who recommended he should sue.

Also, according to a Washington Post story, after WJFK had been running the "Larry Michael" parodies during the 2013 free-fall, Wyllie went to the station and allegedly was considering legal action before realizing "oh, you guys are just joking around" (der!)

And him coming out initially on this issue claiming that it was from a fake Twitter account?  Somebody was lying here.......maybe that's the story that one of the McCloughans initially gave Tony......but the whole thing looks ridiculously bad on the Redskins.

Wouldn't he be have some oversight of the joke of a Twitter account the Redskins have too or no? And there have been other issues too.

The Redskins twitter account has actually been better lately, for a few months now. You can tell someone new is running it. Probably someone younger, though, considering the emoticons and ****.

I don't think that Tony Wylie demonstrates the strategic leadership required for the Senior Vice President of Communications of a multi-billion dollar corporation...especially the Redskins. In this role, his job is to oversee the communications strategy, manage media relations and handling crisis commimciations. (He should also be counseling coaches and players on how to address/respond to the media in a non-controversial manner...clearly he has failed there as well.). Putting aside my questions about Wylie's overall effectiveness, I have seen nothing that suggests he understands or cares about the importance of crisis communications. Since the Redskins are frequently in a crisis state, it is critical that the team have someone in this role who is able to anticipate potential issues, devise effective approaches for response and limit reputational damage in these instances.

Instead, I see someone who primarily functions as a bodyguard to the high-profile player de jour ("no means no!"), is the gatekeeper at press conferences (regularly heard yelling in the background) and the onsite coordinator at high-profile team events. It seems to me that someone below a Senior Vice President level could direct these operational activities and Wylie should spend more time focused on strategy and leading the Redskins toward a coordinated and professional communications approach. His latest handling of McCloughan wife's Twitter rant really highlights his ineffectiveness and ineptitude.

The Redskins twitter account has actually been better lately, for a few months now. You can tell someone new is running it. Probably someone younger, though, considering the emoticons and ****.

A company called Zoomph was hired to help with their twitter. But I think that's only been gameday stuff.

As far as Wyllie. He's been busy last night blocking people on twitter.

If there was ever a time to let the @Redskins know that the fans are aware of who handled this embarrassing situation by tagging them AND @tonyylee. It would be today. 

I've been saying this for years ... I think is Walsh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he said when the Niners were going good, real good, in the 80's, even the receptionist was top notch and on her game.  

Wylie is just indicative of how brutal this org still is ... keeping Sonny in the booth - god bless his gigantic ass B&G heart forever - same thing. 

I don't think that Tony Wylie demonstrates the strategic leadership required for the Senior Vice President of Communications of a multi-billion dollar corporation...especially the Redskins. In this role, his job is to oversee the communications strategy, manage media relations and handling crisis commimciations. 

god, so true.  The Skins are a big deal, real big deal. How can they not have an absolute stone cold assassin in this position. Someone that will leave NO DOUBT our best foot will ALWAYS be put forward. 

Dan ****ING Snyder. 

Dan's organization prowess and decision making on full display.

My guess is, Dan met him and thought he was "cool".

Kind of makes you think he was never a good marketing professional. He just got lucky...hit it big....sold....and bought a NFL team that prints money even when they fall on their faces.

Kind of makes you think he was never a good marketing professional. He just got lucky...hit it big....sold....and bought a NFL team that prints money even when they fall on their faces.

"think" he's not a good marketing pro?  There's no think involved.  It's a fact the guy is completely in over his head and has been from day 1

"think" he's not a good marketing pro? There's no think involved. It's a fact the guy is completely in over his head and has been from day 1

Gosh, through the years, the phrase "in over his head" has come up much too frequently when speaking of Redskins officials...

I've been saying this for years ... I think is Walsh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he said when the Niners were going good, real good, in the 80's, even the receptionist was top notch and on her game.  

Wylie is just indicative of how brutal this org still is ... keeping Sonny in the booth - god bless his gigantic ass B&G heart forever - same thing. 

Exactly. That organization is run like a telemarketing firm. Under JKC (who was far from a saint), that place was a family operation where people cared about each other. Now it's Glengarry Glenross. I know someone who worked there and one who continues to work there, and I hear stories all the time. Toxic environment full of nasty people and a high turnover rate. Anyone who thinks that kind of thing doesn't permeate the team itself is wrong. The only hope is for that d-bag to finally have an Ebenezer Scrooge type of epiphany. 

This guy, sad to say from a humanistic perspective, needed to be fired yesterday. For a guy whose job it is to be in 'the know', to come running in 'it's a fake account, its a fake account' after all but confirmed.

Just wow. This is the real story IMO. Tony needs to look for a new career.

Archived