Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins at Ravens - Final

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins @ Ravens

08/29/15

Greetings family! JimmiJo here, and I am joined by my partner-in-crime, Spaceman Spiff.

It was officially the worst traffic I've encountered for a preseason match. Took forever to make to my exorbitantly over-priced parking. Over 40-minutes from the exit to my spot.

I was, in a word; butthurt.

I am not however butthurt at the tweets suggesting Scot McCloughan is over Robert Griffin III. Given the faith the organization gave him this offseason, as well as the amount of money he stands to make next year - he had to show a lot more than he did. In fairness, I have been off the bandwagon for quite some time - so this is no surprise to those who follow/read/listen to me. 

There was also the tweet that said Jay Gruden has the call on who starts the season. If we see anything like a starter's performance from Kirk Cousin tonight and I believe we will have our answer.

Could I be wrong? Heck yes (just ask my wife). But I do think it time to decide whether this is the long-term guy and if not; why wait anymore?

In other news, Trent Williams extended is good news, though a heap of money. Junior Galette was horrible news, but they still have the rookie Preston Smith. 

I am looking for an efficient effort from the offense, and a couple of highlights from the defense. 

And no more damn injuries....

Stand by.

-          The following Redskins are not expected to play:

o   No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III

o   No. 11 WR DeSean Jackson

o   No. 26 CB Bashaud Breeland

o   No. 47 S Akeem Davis

o   No. 58 LB Junior Galette

o   No. 73 DE Frank Kearse

o   No. 91 LB Ryan Kerrigan

o   No. 95 DE Corey Crawford

-          No. 8 Kirk Cousins is expected to start in place of Griffin at quarterback.

-          No. 14 Ryan Grant is expected to start in place of Jackson at wide receiver.

-          No. 94 Preston Smith is expected to start in place of Kerrigan at weakside linebacker.

Please follow me in-game on Twitter @Skinscast.

Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extremeskins/sets/72157657525010480

Half

Was pretty disappointed by the lack of run game, the poor defense and the turnover. But Kirk did well to turn his game around, finishing 20/27 for 190-yards with 1 TD and the INT and a QB-rating of 90.04.

Here's to a better 2nd half.

Write-up

Let’s cut to the chase. There will be a quarterback controversy after tonight. The only surprise is who will not be involved.

Robert Griffin III.

I believe Griffin to be done in Washington. I hope he does well elsewhere.

I asked head coach Jay Gruden if, given the recent events surrounding quarterback, is there now an open competition for the position.

In answering he praised the play of Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy.

So now the choice is between Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy. For my money I am starting McCoy. He thinks fast. Throws fast. Runs fast. It is not his fault he has only played backups. His numbers make the case for at least a start this Thursday.

McCoy finished 10/12 for 95-yard, two touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 139.2. That’s impressive no matter who you are playing.

I asked McCoy to pretend there is an open competition for the starting job – has he done enough to be in that conversation?

“I haven’t done anything to NOT be in that conversation,” he said.

McCoy came in and commanded the offense. The tempo with him behind center was noticeably quicker. He made good decisions. Plus, I love his pocket presence. He senses pressure and does a great job with his feet. For me, he deserves a shot to lead this team.

This is not to say Cousins was poor tonight. His interception certainly was. He had to have seen the backer squatting the route. Then too he put no air in the throw. It was on him.

But he did well to redeem himself, ending with solid numbers and a few impressive drives, granted the last one against the second-team defense from Baltimore. In the past Cousins has melted down after mistakes. It was a relief to see him thrive.

“I’m just going to do the best I can and let the chips fall where they may,” he said in response to a chance to start.

An area of concern was the lack of run game against the Raven’s starters. My biggest concern was the defense’s inability to get off the field, especially when they had Baltimore in third-and-long situations. David Amerson got torched a few times and received little help from Dashon Goldson.

The front-seven was unimpressive verses the run – just where I thought they would be best. Granted, there haven’t been a lot of playing time to build continuity. Hopefully they get better and earn the nick-name they gave themselves. Otherwise, I have a name for them, one I cannot print.

Special teams had a big letdown giving up the huge return before the half. With the fumble and recovery they did a little to redeem themselves. The bright spot in that deal was Chris Thompson catching the return-man from behind. Impressive speed.

But it was not all bad. I was really impressed with the play of Matt Jones. That kid runs with violence. At 231-pounds he reminds me of a guy who plays for Seattle. Given the poor showing by the first team rushing offense, I hope to see him get more touches.

Jamison Crowder made some plays. As did Rashad Ross with the two touchdowns. I liked Kyshoen Jarret with the late pick.

The Redskins logged another victory. Which means nothing in the preseason. Based on the play of the starters it is hard to see Washington coming away with the win. In fact it felt like a blowout the other way early. Their starters just looked better than ours.

As mentioned above, they need to get much more productive in the run game. Everything they hope to do offensively is based on a good running game. This will setup the play-action, which will set up the big plays through the air.

Conversely, without a good run game, it is hard to see a lot of success this year. Especially if the defense doesn’t improve significantly.

Ok folks, I had a great time tonight – but I have to get out of here. I have to get up early tomorrow and…oh who am I kidding. The liquor store closes at 1:30 and I have to get there…

:P

See you Thursday.

FINALLY JPap in the house! Where ya' been man? On this day of all days we needed this one lol. 

Start of the Kirk Cousins era. 

And start of the Gruden era for me. He finally has his man he trusts in place by all reports having had the decision exclusively put in his own hands. 

So clean slate. He stands and falls by his choice. But at least it's HIS choice. That alone is a good thing.  

Good luck Coach. Good luck Kirk. Make us proud going forward. 

Hail. 

Looking forward to watching this thread unfold.   Pretty funny thing:  TWO local stations are carrying this game live.  Channel 4 WRC has it from the 'Skins perspective and channel 7 WJLA  is broadcasting the Ravens view.   

More than anything I wanna see DEFENSE jell tonight.  The D-Coordinator, Secondary coach and a raft of new players are just getting to know each other so this is crucial to me. 

Hail!

Looking forward to watching this thread unfold.   Pretty funny thing:  TWO local stations are carrying this game live.  Channel 4 WRC has it from the 'Skins perspective and channel 7 WJLA  is broadcasting the Ravens view.   

More than anything I wanna see DEFENSE jell tonight.  The D-Coordinator, Secondary coach and a raft of new players are just getting to know each other so this is crucial to me. 

Hail!

Kerrigan won't play tonight. A rookie (Preston Smith) will take his place.

Hopefully, he does well. :)

Jim Ross on CSN pre-game "Ladies and gentleman, he is 6 feet 6, he weighs a biscuit or two around 300 pounds. He may be number 71 in your programs, but by God he's number one in my heart. He's the best left tackle in all of the National Football League. He doesn't have to cheat to win. He just beats your ass. He'll beat you up, make you like it, talk dirty to your mama, and there's nothing you can do about it. He's my friend, former Oklahoma Sooner Trent Williams. You're lucky you got him, because you don't want him against you."

Archived