Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins at Ravens - Final

JimmiJo

Teams are going to give us a lot of 8 man boxes to take away the run on 1st down. That will give us single outside and single high looks a lot of course. We have to show teams we can hurt them by passing on first down to get them to back that 8th man out of the box. Until we do that the run game will be a bit boom or bust, lots of 1 and 2 yard gains then a big chunk if Morris or Jones beat a man or someone misses a fill.

We need the running game to take pressure of whoever is at QB but we may have to prove we have a passing game worthy of respect before we can be really consistent with the run.

The run game will work if the line coheres and improves. A lot of our issues are failed blocks. The schematic problems are less relevant in the preseason because we're not doing normal situational play calling. We're trying stuff. Running play action on third and long for example. And we're not running a normal mix of plays in general, just mostly basic blocking schemes.

I don't think we need to be throwing on first down, as a rule. Not given the hats we can field. We have a quality RB stable, a good run stopping D, some shiny new offensive linemen who are power blockers and have the ability to execute high difficulty run blocks, very shaky pass protection, and shaky QB play. This is a run to set up the pass roster.

The line is going to take a while to come together. We're starting a raw rookie and a raw sophomore who barely played last season. And our TE situation is a mess. But this line is entually going to gel and then the run game will be the foundation for the offense.

I think our team strength is at WR. Gruden has already decided the run game is the foundation, but I think it was with RG3 in mind.  I think a good coach is less predictable. Living off of play action to pass, is not the only way to pass the ball and not get the QB clobbered. 

Sure we will likely try to stash my camp fav Ross on the PS, but our top 4-5 are still strong at wide. What position is better? 

I hope Gruden is wise enough to go pass happy on first if our OL remains in transition from zone to power again this season, and can't really do either one well.  Or, simply try and run out of 4 wide. Yeah our TEs are a hot mess and they couldn't really block last year, so if they can't do it, stop trying as often. The new guy is as much Didier as a Warren.

I think we will roll Tom aka Hands Compton more which should help with blocking, but more the OL is what I saw struggle in preseason. I wonder how much Callahan has loaded up on their plates, new techniques etc. More laps! 

I think our team strength is at WR. Gruden has already decided the run game is the foundation, but I think it was with RG3 in mind.  I think a good coach is less predictable. Living off of play action to pass, is not the only way to pass the ball and not get the QB clobbered. 

Sure we will likely try to stash my camp fav Ross on the PS, but our top 4-5 are still strong at wide. What position is better? 

I hope Gruden is wise enough to go pass happy on first if our OL remains in transition from zone to power again this season, and can't really do either one well.  Or, simply try and run out of 4 wide. Yeah our TEs are a hot mess and they couldn't really block last year, so if they can't do it, stop trying as often. The new guy is as much Didier as a Warren.

I think we will roll Tom aka Hands Compton more which should help with blocking, but more the OL is what I saw struggle in preseason. I wonder how much Callahan has loaded up on their plates, new techniques etc. More laps!

It's pass protection that the line has struggled with. And our QB play is going to be a weakness with any of the QBs we put out there now.

If we go out there running a pass happy offense, the results aren't going to be pretty.

The WRs are a good group top to bottom, but so are our RBs, where we have a Probowler starting and a highly talented back up. And we have two highly drafted OLs that are elite run blockers, and that give us the ability to do interesting things in the run game because of their athleticism. The run game is definitely the strength and foundation of the offense.

It's pass protection that the line has struggled with. And our QB play is going to be a weakness with any of the QBs we put out there now.

If we go out there running a pass happy offense, the results aren't going to be pretty.....

Even with a quick pass offense and Cousins at the helm? Cousins fires that ball.  The pass rush gets frustrated. Remember what Eli did to us last year?  

It is something that I want to see. Passing plays can be designed such that there is no chance of a sack.

It always seems unthinkable to do the things other teams have done to us over the past decade. Hurry up early and often, is a glaring one we have abstained from. We FINALLY added pistol/shotgun, and made the playoffs the year we did it.

Remember when Bellichek passed the ball 15 straight times at a random time in the game?  I think they won the super bowl that year.

When there is a will, there is a way.  Defenses need to be kept guessing. 

Isn't a core staple of the WCO that you can throw the short pass instead of running on 1st?

havent seen this mentioned (it probably was somewhere and i havent found it) but who noticed harbaughs comments post game about being disappointed in 'our second team vs their first and our third team vs their second team'?

i know schaub came in near the end of the first half. not sure when the starters on D came out. 

still, i found it funny that after he ran across to field to yell at jay, the redskins took the game over. 

The Harbaugh brothers are dicks. People thought the one that went to Michigan was the dick but now that he's gone people are seeing the one in Baltimore is only slightly less of dick than his brother. Classy, too. That half-time interview with the CSN reporter who covers the Ravens says it all. 

The QB decision is not in Gruden's hands; this was made blatantly obvious in the post-game presser. He said it once and then reiterated the same statement that he, Dan, Bruce, and someone else (couldn't hear the name) would talk about the QB situation and make the decision that's best for the team. 

I know it was mentioned above, but Harbaugh walked into his presser vomiting up excuses before he even got to the podium. As if he didn't already look like a big tool, he closed by saying that when he ran to the Skins sideline, he said nothing and that he was the one getting yelled at. 

Archived