Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Trent Williams made highest paid OL in NFL

Rufus T Firefly

The great thing, with no big money tied up to a QB for at least 5-6 years, the team will have plenty cap room to operate with going forward

This is probably for a separate thread but the longer this day has gone on, I don't see how you can keep the main current QB on the roster with him relegated to second or third string this season. 

It looks like we're fixing for a complete break. 

Hail. 

Wait, why isn't this being given the conspiracy treatment?...Only signed Williams to that contract to take the spotlight away from ConcussionGate? lol...Knew "Fan Backlash" would subside because it's good news about Trent, etc, yadda yadda...

Seriously, though, knew it was only a matter of time...Williams and Kerrigan locked up for the foreseable future was a foregone conclusion in my mind but still good to see become reality.

The great thing, with no big money tied up to a QB for at least 5-6 years, the team will have plenty cap room to operate with going forward

Eh.

First off, I don't really consider that "good news".

Secondly, going back to an argument that I've been having with people for the last year or so- the "huge" amount of cap space people were claiming we had going forward is now pretty much gone. As of now, we are pushing the cap for 2016. Assume Griffin is cut and Keenan re-signed, we have enough to sign draft picks and a few odds and ends (with no QB under contract) before we start cuts to make space.

Wait, why isn't this being given the conspiracy treatment?...Only signed Williams to that contract to take the spotlight away from ConcussionGate? lol...Knew "Fan Backlash" would subside because it's good news about Trent, etc, yadda yadda...

You didn't really think that wasn't going to happen, did you?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/29/redskins-trent-williams-agree-to-big-money-extension/

Maybe the timing is coincidental, or maybe the Redskins just needed to change the conversation away from the mess they have at quarterback.

Eh.

First off, I don't really consider that "good news".

Secondly, going back to an argument that I've been having with people for the last year or so- the "huge" amount of cap space people were claiming we had going forward is now pretty much gone. As of now, we are pushing the cap for 2016. Assume Griffin is cut and Keenan re-signed, we have enough to sign draft picks and a few odds and ends (with no QB under contract) before we start cuts to make space.

Your a cap guy right bud?

If we trade/ cut him before this season, where does that leave us going forward on his cap #? Asking as I can't see how it works with him second or third string. 

Hail. 

Your a cap guy right bud?

If we trade/ cut him before this season, where does that leave us going forward on his cap #? Asking as I can't see how it works with him second or third string. 

Hail. 

I don't know if I'm a "cap guy" ( I look spiffy in a fedora), but if he's cut he doesn't count anything against the 2016 cap. Cutting him now or after the year makes no difference for that year.

The only thing in play there is him getting hurt and activating the guaranteed salary.

I don't know if I'm a "cap guy" ( I look spiffy in a fedora), but if he's cut he doesn't count anything against the 2016 cap. Cutting him now or after the year makes no difference for that year.

The only thing in play there is him getting hurt and activating the guaranteed salary.

Thanks man. Appreciated. 

Hail. 

Locking up a guy who fights like a beast for this team AND wants to stay with this team for life?  A no brainer.  Exactly what we need while we develop the rest of the offensive line.  Glad to see you're still with us, Trent.

I just googled Trent's combine numbers. Holy cow, a 4.81 in the 40! But, only 23 reps in the bench press. Some of us wanted Shanahan to draft Russell Okung instead of Trent, because there were questions about Trent's work ethic. Good thing we were wrong.

The fact we're seeing long term deals on guys who are proven performers looks like wise management practice by the front office. 

Let that sink in a minute.  

I just googled Trent's combine numbers. Holy cow, a 4.81 in the 40! But, only 23 reps in the bench press. Some of us wanted Shanahan to draft Russell Okung instead of Trent, because there were questions about Trent's work ethic. Good thing we were wrong.

I remember defending the guy, after his first game.

He got beat by Ware on one play. (I think it was him.) Gave up a sack. And some folks were upset that we'd wasted a pick.

I pointed out that it was his first game, and that there were a lot of people who'd had long, successful careers in the NFL who wish Ware had only beaten them once.

The fact we're seeing long term deals on guys who are proven performers looks like wise management practice by the front office. 

Let that sink in a minute.  

I remember defending the guy, after his first game.

He got beat by Ware on one play. (I think it was him.) Gave up a sack. And some folks were upset that we'd wasted a pick.

I pointed out that it was his first game, and that there were a lot of people who'd had long, successful careers in the NFL who wish Ware had only beaten them once.

The year prior's Draft Database seemed to have a general consensus that Williams really wasn't worthy of being a 1st rounder. Most of the draft sites thought he was, but certainly second half of the round. It seems like he wasn't talked about as a top 10 pick until Shanahan was considering drafting him there.

Gotta score that one for Shanny. He saw what not a lot of others did.

I remember wanting Okung over Williams because I thought quite simply he was the safer pick.  I remember not realizing just how much Trent was an athletic freak however because I never knew his combine numbers - namely, a 4.8 40 - until later on however, and become much more comfortable with the pick before his rookie season started.  The reason why I remember this sequence of events is mostly because a 4.8 forty for a guy over 300 lbs is ridiculous, so it's not too hard to forget.  But I firmly admit I wanted Okung during the draft.

I love trent, and this might be my cue to buy his jersey.  

Archived