Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

For sure, I am biased, but I think Andrew Billings is going to have a breakout year. He is over shadowed by Shawn Oakman, but I think Billings is the better player. As someone said, he is nasty, but more importantly, he is strong as an ox. He set state power lifting records in high school and has only gotten stronger in college. If he does what I think he will do, he will likely come out in the draft. One well respected analyst ranked him as the top NFL prospect in the Big 12.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25279143/nfl-draft-baylor-stands-out-among-big-12s-top-future-pros

I thought he was lightning quick in a short area and he is usually winning the leverage battle, though sometimes ducks his head to do so. Fantastic rushing the passer or against the run.

He's a guy who I really like, but at 6'2 300 he doesn't have ideal size for an nt. I think he'd play as our 3 tech and have to compete with paea, but I imagine paea will actually be one of our defenders we don't need to immediately replace.

I think that was just some draftniks who were way too psyched from his bcs championship run. Teams are weary about one year wonders like newton, a 3 game wonder would be absolutely unheard of as a top pick.

In some cases I agree w/you, but some that included Jones were reporters that base their projections on inside info with exec's, scouts, and GM's, so I don't think it's nonsense.

I think the big dogs saw him dominate Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon, combined that with his arm talent, his size and strength, and ability to handle immense pressure, plus his initial recruiting reports, and bought in (recruited by Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and LSU, final rivals ranking was 12th in his class at QB, but 3 stars? scout gave him 4 stars).

I hate doing race for race comps but the only comparison that fit for me was Russell, who seemed to race up draft boards exclusively after demolishing Notre Dame in the Sugar bowl (no accomplishment since Notre Dame's been a fraud since the nineties), but Jones is more interesting because it's more sustained, no rumors of cough syrup, and he's got this extra season.

I like him, but right now I have no firm opinion on whom is best, Cook hasn't left me overly impressed, Hackenberg was awful last year but how much was the OL and Jones has a tiny sample size while Goff has a pro style QB skills, he's played primarily spread ball at Cal and even in HS, and he's got that slight frame. Will be doing a ton of QB watching this fall and I suggest everybody else do so as well, the FA QB crop is irrelevant and weak in '16, nobody trades franchise QB prospects, and if Vegas is right about the Redskins, Gruden is probably canned after this year and the new staff/Scott will want to bring in a franchise QB to develop, you can't win without one, and it's unfair to evaluate coaches unless they have "their QB". I make an exception with Gruden because he never had the resume to earn this hire in the first place, just the name and connections.

So as someone who doesn't know anything, are these QB's coming out next year on the Luck level or the Bradford level?  Just being the top QB in the draft doesn't make you a team saver.  I'd like to know what I'm looking at.

My reasoning for Suck for Luck was that Luck had the best evals of any QB since Elway, that goes back basically 30 years. Not surprisingly nobody comes close to that eval in this group. This group reminds me of the 2004 crop in the sense that other than Eli, going into 2004 that class could be good, or maybe not, people weren't sure about Rivers, and Ben Roth, only Eli had the locked in top 5 status. Rivers and Ben Roth ended up racing up draft boards, and boom. This reminds me of that group because these guys all have strong grades going in. No other classes since '04 were like that, the '05 crop was Alex and Aaron, the '06 and '07 crops were Young, Leinart, and friends, but there were major concerns, '08, '09 were 1 off crops if memory serves etc.

This reminds me most of 2006 and 2004 overall, but I think it's better than '06 because anyone smart was worried about Young's arm/accuracy/mechanics, some worry about Leinart's final year, and Cutler had bad mental make up grades and was out of Vandy so he was a big question mark other than the arm.

That reminds me a bit of this year because the talent is clear, but there are big question marks w/everyone, Cook looks it, but has never played like a franchise guy to me, Hackenberg was awful last year, even worse than Marino's disastrous 1982, how much was the OL?, Cardale has only played 3 games, and Goff plays for a poor Cal team and in that dreaded spread, though he's regarded by most as a pro style QB (I don't get it, as he's played spread since he was a high school kid-I guess the skill set?).

You want to watch this year and make your evals as they play. I don't really think there's much of a point at scouting top 5 defensive guys because they've spent plenty of money on the holes there and QB is a HUGE problem, THE problem, along with the OL, that is killing this team (well, and coaching, and the F.O. itself), I fully expect a QB to be the guy so I hope everybody interested, studies these guys. I'd love to have good talks based on their performance throughout the year.

You want to watch this year and make your evals as they play. I don't really think there's much of a point at scouting top 5 defensive guys because they've spent plenty of money on the holes there and QB is a HUGE problem, THE problem, along with the OL, that is killing this team (well, and coaching, and the F.O. itself), I fully expect a QB to be the guy so I hope everybody interested, studies these guys. I'd love to have good talks based on their performance throughout the year.

We haven't seen how this defense plays yet.  I imagine it'll still be a problem when trying to win games.

One thought based on this preseason

If the org drafts a QB in 2016 in the top of the first round, he has to be constantly coached in how to speak to the media here.

1) No big interviews with major national publications

2) All quotes must say nothing. Basically a cycle of  cliches "the guys went out played well. The (insert opposing team) has great players and played hard. I got things to improve on and will work on them." Over and over and over

3) No national commercial campaigns that has any type of slogan

4) No hashtag motivation

5) Once again, say nothing by saying nothing but cliches. 

No doubt, but I don't think there's a chance they prioritize D over QB with that first round pick unless all the QB prospects are busts in the fall a la 2012.

Or not all of them leave school

Barkley had the buzz of a first round pick in 2012. Him staying in school changed the 1st round QB market in the 2012 draft

Or not all of them leave school

Barkley had the buzz of a first round pick in 2012. Him staying in school changed the 1st round QB market in the 2012 draft

I disagree, I had him as a second rounder even before the 2012 draft (check out the draft thread!).  Had he declared for that year, people would have done more homework on him and he would have slid down mock drafts.  I don't think teams over-rated him as much as the media did.

No doubt, but I don't think there's a chance they prioritize D over QB with that first round pick unless all the QB prospects are busts in the fall a la 2012.

I think it depends on how you view the prospects.  If it's like 2011, where there was very little difference between qb's #1-#6, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to draft one in the first.  In fact, the teams that took their qb's in the 2nd (Cinci and SF) benefited greatly by getting the better talent in the 1st (AJ Green and Aldon Smith).  Newton has been great for Carolina, but, had they had a 2nd rounder, I'm not too sure they wouldn't have been better off drafting Von Miller in the 1st and Andy Dalton in the 2nd.

The other NC TE: David Grinnage. 

vid: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11841322

Bio: http://www.gopack.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2833&path=football

Mel Kiper ranks NC State junior TE David Grinnage as the No. 5 underclassmen tight end prospect in the country.

"At 6-5 and nearly 270 pounds, you could flip Grinnage around and have a defensive end prospect," Kiper wrote.

"He really broke though as a weapon in ACC play last year and should be a focal point in 2015." Grinnage had career highs of 27 catches for 358 yards and five touchdowns -- all coming in his final five conference games -- last year.

We'd expect him to set new career bests in catches and yards this fall. 

Jul 20 - 7:25 PM

ECU: Bryce Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOJsEPbZop0

Bio: http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bryce_williams_812698.html

The Mackey watch list: http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-07-08/2015-john-mackey-award-preseason-watch-list-released

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-28%20at%202.31.0

2015 JOHN MACKEY AWARD PRESEASON WATCH LIST 

Name                    Year             School 
Jerell Adams            Sr.              South Carolina 
Jake Butt               Jr.              Michigan 
Kyle Carter             Sr.              Penn St. 
Kivon Cartwright        Sr.              Colorado St.
Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick  Jr.              USC 
Alan Cross              Sr.              Memphis 
Braxton Deaver          Sr.              Duke 
Jake Duzey              Sr.              Iowa 
Evan Engram             Jr.              Ole Miss 
Billy Freeman           Jr.              San Jose St. 
Jarred Gipson           Jr.              Nevada 
David Grinnage          Jr.              NC State 
Darion Griswold         Sr.              Arkansas St. 
Hunter Henry            Jr.              Arkansas 
Tyler Higbee            Sr.              WKU 
Bucky Hodges            So.              Virginia Tech 
J.P. Holtz              Sr.              Pittsburgh 
Austin Hooper           So.              Stanford 
O.J. Howard             Jr.              Alabama 
Jordan Leggett          Jr.              Clemson 
Ryan Malleck            Sr.              Virginia Tech 
Jake McGee              Sr.              Florida
Johnny Mundt            Jr.              Oregon 
Joshua Perkins          Sr.              Washington 
Jake Phillips           Sr.              UNLV 
Josiah Price            Jr.              Michigan St.  
Sean Price              Sr.              USF 
Joel Ruiz               Sr.              Georgia State  
Steven Scheu            Sr.              Vanderbilt  
Cam Serigne             So.              Wake Forest 
Jonnu Smith             Jr.              FIU 
Nick Vannett            Sr.              Ohio State 
Steven Walker           Sr.              Colorado State 
Bryce Williams          Sr.              East Carolina

I think it depends on how you view the prospects. If it's like 2011, where there was very little difference between qb's #1-#6, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to draft one in the first. In fact, the teams that took their qb's in the 2nd (Cinci and SF) benefited greatly by getting the better talent in the 1st (AJ Green and Aldon Smith). Newton has been great for Carolina, but, had they had a 2nd rounder, I'm not too sure they wouldn't have been better off drafting Von Miller in the 1st and Andy Dalton in the 2nd.

Also important, who needs a QB?

Houston - no doubt

Browns - not sure. Depends op Manziel

Chicago - depending on Cutler his season

Rams - think they roll with Foles

Bills - no doubt

Jets - no doubt

chiefs - wildcard, I think they need one but they dont agree.

Arizona - I think they rather roll with veteran then youngster.

Eagles - no clue

Us - Unless one QB shows life, no doubt

Other teams are probally going to have same starting QB in 2015 as 2016.

That pretty long list, what could push raw prospects up the board.

One thought based on this preseason

If the org drafts a QB in 2016 in the top of the first round, he has to be constantly coached in how to speak to the media here.

1) No big interviews with major national publications

2) All quotes must say nothing. Basically a cycle of  cliches "the guys went out played well. The (insert opposing team) has great players and played hard. I got things to improve on and will work on them." Over and over and over

3) No national commercial campaigns that has any type of slogan

4) No hashtag motivation

5) Once again, say nothing by saying nothing but cliches. 

It's frankly a stunning amount of incompetence that they haven't taught Robert this yet. The kid should be watching Costner's instructions from Bull Durham 20 times per day.

Yes please. The guy has done a lot with very little talent left on that team. He struggled a little last season. But he is the real deal. And Peyton Manning says he is the best QB in college so that has to mean something.

When was Peyton asked for that? I dunno, I think hack could go either way at the moment as a lot of last year was on him as well, but he might get battered qb syndrome before he even gets to the nfl with how often he's taking hits.

We already have Hackenberg, his name is Kirk Hackenburg Cousins... But I'll hold full judgement until the season starts.

Not even close. Have you even watched Hackenberg play? Arm strength, poise and athletic ability is light years ahead of Cousins. He is on an awful team talent wise. Just keep that in mind while you watch tape.

When was Peyton asked for that? I dunno, I think hack could go either way at the moment as a lot of last year was on him as well, but he might get battered qb syndrome before he even gets to the nfl with how often he's taking hits.

Watch the video above.

I used to love Connor Cook.  But after watching some video today, I dont like his mechanics.  For a 6'5" guy, he likes to do hop throws alot.  Also, when he does set himself, too often his base is too narrow, sometimes not even shoulder width apart.  

Are these correctable? Yes.  Do I want us to use another 1st round pick on a guy who is not mechanically sound? No!

He also seems to stare down his receivers and not go through progressions.  

Hackenberg is statistically accurate, but most of his passes seem to be [high, low, left, right] and doesnt seem to hit his receivers in stride very often.  He does however go through his progressions much better than Cook does.

Archived