Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I used to love Connor Cook. But after watching some video today, I dont like his mechanics. For a 6'5" guy, he likes to do hop throws alot. Also, when he does set himself, too often his base is too narrow, sometimes not even shoulder width apart.

Are these correctable? Yes. Do I want us to use another 1st round pick on a guy who is not mechanically sound? No!

He also seems to stare down his receivers and not go through progressions.

Hackenberg is statistically accurate, but most of his passes seem to be [high, low, left, right] and doesnt seem to hit his receivers in stride very often. He does however go through his progressions much better than Cook does.

He's completed 56% and 59% of his passes. Hack is not statistically accurate.

Not even close. Have you even watched Hackenberg play? Arm strength, poise and athletic ability is light years ahead of Cousins. He is on an awful team talent wise. Just keep that in mind while you watch tape.

Watched plenty. Doesn't see the field well. Telegraphs his passes. His size is what people like about him, and he's getting the Tyler Bray hype. Not a great year for QB's. Watch for Brissett this year if you want the size and ability to dodge defenders.

Would be interesting to compare Hack and Bortles when in college.

Havent seen a lot of Blake in college so dont knowif he was mental a good prospect or just all physical tools. But thats kinda what I feel with Hack.

I thought Bortles was the best prospect in his class.  He had all the physical tools, but he also played in a pro style offense with a great coach at the helm.  I thought his mental make up was great.  It'll be interesting to see how he progresses this year.

I'm not as high on Hackenberg as some, but there is no doubt that he has the physical ability to be a good pro QB.  He's just too erratic for my tastes.  But, he's still young and could clean that stuff up.  I'll be excited to watch him play this year.  He reminds me a little bit of Ryan Mallett.  Great measurables, just not sure he can consistently make accurate throws into tight windows.  I think he's a much better prospect than Mallett, and I have no idea what Hackenberg's intangibles are.  Not trying to compare his character to Mallett's.

You gotta really love/follow college football to participate in this thread.

College football is my least followed sport except hockey :-(

I troll this thread constantly. It's always a great read and I learn a lot. I kind of learn about prospects, from a year of reading this and it'll get me to watch some games. It's also a most all very knowledgeable posters, with little to no reactionary imbeciles, just spouting rhetoric. Great reading.

Thanks guys.

Deep class, but not a top heavy class. It's a good class to get one later, but I have a feeling a top 5 pick will be a reach on these guys.

Agree, think that the 2017 class may have some better talent with Barrett, Kaaya, Watson, and my personal favorite Rudolph at OkSt. Also, some of this year's eligibles may opt to stay in school.

I don't think it a lock for us to grab a top QB. We have KRob on a contract year. Knighton on a rental. No guarantees at OLB. Safety and CB have questions. Even RB, as promising as that seems.

I think QB has to be addressed in the first half, unless Kirk lights it up, but I don't think it's a lock as of right now.

I'm not crazy about Christian Hackenberg's accuracy. I think h struggles to place his passes with consistency. There are too many times where I see him make a good read but fail to put the ball on the money to think it isn't an issue for him, or that it's an issue of protection/receiving failures.

His lack of accuracy limits his upside as a passer. And that's a shame because he checks a lot of other boxes. He has an NFL body. He's tough and has a strong arm that gets pretty good velocity on his throws. I think he can throw the whole route tree. And he does a pretty good job recognizing coverages at the college level.

My gut is that I would pass on him in the first round. I think he's going to need a lot of work to get to a basic level of NFL caliber accuracy, and I doubt he ever excels at it. But in the second round, he could be interesting as a long term project.

Of course it doesn't really matter who we pick or where we pick him. This franchise is not going to successfully develop a quarterback.

Agree, think that the 2017 class may have some better talent with Barrett, Kaaya, Watson, and my personal favorite Rudolph at OkSt. Also, some of this year's eligibles may opt to stay in school.

Barrett could come out this year (and if he has another good season I think it's more likely than not).  Kaaya and Watson both look like potential worldbeaters for 2017 though, but the same was said of Hack before his sophomore season.

Of course it doesn't really matter who we pick or where we pick him. This franchise is not going to successfully develop a quarterback.

Debbie downer at the end there Steve!  I agree I wouldn't pick him in the early first.  Short of a big turnaround I see him falling far short of these early projections, so him in the 2nd is more likely than not.  I get the same read on him as I did on Barkley, neither were very accurate qb's.  Barkley just had the advantage of an all-star cast around him.

It would be a blessing to get a less heralded guy just because he'll face less pressure to be great at first, but going in to 2016 without a 1st round qb and with no qb on the roster likely isn't an option.  We'll either pick up a retread (welcome the newest washington redskin, Jay Cutler) or draft one in the first with the intention to start right away.

I don't think it a lock for us to grab a top QB. We have KRob on a contract year. Knighton on a rental. No guarantees at OLB. Safety and CB have questions. Even RB, as promising as that seems.

I think QB has to be addressed in the first half, unless Kirk lights it up, but I don't think it's a lock as of right now.

And of course it depends where we end up drafting. If you have a top 3 pick I would think your grabbing the best QB left at that point.

I actually just watched some tape on Jared Goff. He impressed me as well. He has better footwork than Hackenberg at this point. But that can be taught. Goff has a funky delivery and has a tendency to under throw passes as well. Good athleticism but a slight frame. 6'4 205....Im not real sure about him.

Obviously these guys all have another full season of plays coming. So there will be lots more tape to watch.

If we go QB, personally speaking, I hope the Aaron Rodgers model of sitting the QB for 2 to 3 years is the mandatory directive. 

It's something that needs to be a part of the template, imo. Even in the face of an unsettled situation, where potentially the vet starter isn't the final solution. 

In many ways it's actually benefitted Cousins. He at least still has a glimmer of hope in his eyes when he takes the field. It hasn't been beaten out of him, like our other QB.

In the macro, this being Cousins' fourth Pro year, it's really his first year now as a starter, officially.

He's benefitting from the last 3 years of experience, some in-game learning along the way, but mostly seeing the machine operate from a safe distance, and likewise being able to be more analytical of a QB before transitioning to the field QB. But mostly, just time itself has been his benefactor, in just knowing, learning, the monster that is Quarterbacking in the NFL. 

He's also in overall good health. That happens when your first three years are spent mostly in "training." 

Aaron Rodgers got to learn from a HOF QB while sitting on the bench. Cousins got to watch RG3 and endure a lot of dysfunction. Sitting on the bench isn't always beneficial. 

I'm on the Jacoby Brissett or Kessler train. 

Who the primary starter is, is irrelevant. Whether the starter is good or bad is irrelevant. The organizational structure? - Yes, I do think that is important.

But you're not trying to replicate the exact same QB. All one is doing is allowing a young QB to have few years of adjustment before being thrown in the fire.

You simply deal with simple absolute truths as a QB in the NFL.

Whether you are Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers, or Andrew Luck, or RG3, your first 3 years in the NFL as a QB are going to be trying, growing years. Truth One.

Those first 3 years are also going to make or break you. The majority don't make it. Truth two. 

The rarest of rare can take the lumps of the first few years while continuing positive growth and additionally make it beyond as the franchise QB. I'd argue that the overwhelming majority benefit from a few years of just 'taking things in,' before hitting the field.

It doesn't matter if the 'taking things in' part occurs on a poor team, a sub .500 team. All it means is that the 4th year QB is now more accustom to the the NFL, the speed, is healthy and is likely more prepared than he was when he first came out of college.

Whether a guy is destined to fail, be it starting from year one as opposed to getting a few years under his belt, IDK. 

Imo, Brissett is a dry well. Mechanics are not good. Even in his most astonishing performance against FSU, his form was not very good. 

Who the primary starter is, is irrelevant. Whether the starter is good or bad is irrelevant. The organizational structure? - Yes, I do think that is important.

But you're not trying to replicate the exact same QB. All one is doing is allowing a young QB to have few years of adjustment before being thrown in the fire.

You simply deal with simple absolute truths as a QB in the NFL.

Whether you are Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers, or Andrew Luck, or RG3, your first 3 years in the NFL as a QB are going to be trying, growing years. Truth One.

Those first 3 years are also going to make or break you. The majority don't make it. Truth two. 

I wish there was that kind of patience, but it's hard to sit a guy with no talent ahead of him.  If we end up awful this year, there's no way we resign Kirk.  The only two starter possibilities I see in FA would possibly be Cutler (cancerous) or Bradford (injury-prone).  Gotta have a plan for 2016.  Then again, it is the redskins, so we could draft a qb and just keep rg3 for his option year.

I wish there was that kind of patience, but it's hard to sit a guy with no talent ahead of him.  If we end up awful this year, there's no way we resign Kirk.  The only two starter possibilities I see in FA would possibly be Cutler (cancerous) or Bradford (injury-prone).  Gotta have a plan for 2016.  Then again, it is the redskins, so we could draft a qb and just keep rg3 for his option year.

If Cousins fails, or just isn't good enough to re-sign, I think its pretty realistic to expect us to hang on to McCoy while we groom a young QB for a few games or a season. That's if we keep Gruden, which I think is not very likely. If we get rid of Gruden, then all bets are off and I don't think a single QB on this roster is here next year. McCoy is Gruden's Grossman.

Archived